Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-23, 06:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default The Overlooked Side of Veganism

I'll admit I have a bee in my bonnet about vegans. I got halfway through a video about "What People Hate About Vegans" before I felt the exasperation get overwhelming. It was about studies that showed people disliked vegans for their relentless moralizing. Since I tuned in to hear nutritional science, the constant denial in vegan videos is what I "hate about vegans."

But then, I had to seek out what I wanted. In a paper published just this February I see a polite layout of the problems.

Quote:
The goal of this review article is to discuss the current literature on the impact and long-term consequences of veganism on vulnerable populations, including children, adolescents, pregnant and breastfeeding women, and fetal outcomes in strict vegan mothers. It also focuses on the many deficiencies of the vegan diet, especially vitamin B12, and the related increased risk of malignancies.

The Impact of a Vegan Diet on Many Aspects of Health: The Overlooked Side of Veganism

I knew about the B-12 and how vegans lose mental abilities as a result. I didn't know about malignancies, and that is really upsetting. Because while vegans do love the moral high ground, they also must believe that this is the healthiest way to eat, and people seeking health try veganism, and sometimes, they get trapped there. And suffer more. Especially, ironically, cancer patients. I am ready to believe they prey on these people in particular, knowing their vulnerability. Wouldn't they interfere with the keto diet we know is being prescribed for some of these patients?

Quote:
Low vitamin B12 intake is a significant problem in vegan diets due to the exclusion of vitamin B12-rich foods such as meat, poultry, and eggs. A lack of vitamin B12 has been linked to neurologic and hematologic problems [19]. Low vitamin B12 intake has serious clinical consequences, although deficient symptoms appear gradually over time. High folate levels may also partly and temporarily obscure some of the typical vitamin B12 hematological manifestations. To prevent vitamin B12 deficiency, vegans must get their levels checked regularly and meet their daily requirements via supplements or fortified foods.

A growing body of research indicates that inadequate B12 consumption may contribute to carcinogenesis. Vitamin B12 deficiency increases uracil misincorporation, impairing DNA synthesis and genomic instability. Global hypomethylation of DNA is a characteristic of early carcinogenesis. Thus, if not adequately replaced, VD may inadvertently lead to cancers [20]. Wu et al found that blood B12 levels were substantially lower in menopausal and postmenopausal breast cancer patients, and patients with the lowest B12 levels had an elevated risk of breast cancer [21]. Reduced B12 levels have also been linked to an increased risk of cervical and gastrointestinal tract malignancies [22-24]. As a result, B12 supplementation is imperative for vegans due to the extensive and irreversible detrimental effects of the deficiencies.

Yesterday I went kayaking for the first time in I don't know how many years, because my brain was also not working during that time. I'm grateful my brain is coming back along with my strength. But not getting much in the way of B vitamins is why the US and UK supplement their food supply. Because the large-scale consequences of these deficiencies are so great.

I think this masks the worst elements from being recognized, especially since the entire basis is built on the denial of a species-specific diet. They will argue that everyone can live entirely plant-based, and we can't. There's also the constantly ignored environmental impact that would ensue if everyone tried.

Which is not very moral, if you ask me.
Sponsored Links