Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default My goal date is May 28, 2004

I've been avoiding this forum for so long. If I don't post this here and make it real I'll never do it. I've been smoking since I was 13 years old. I've quit before, once for almost a year, but I keep going back. I will be turning 30 on May 27th and I've decided to make quitting my birthday present to myself. Just like most of you in the beginning, I'm scared. I'm afraid of weight gain, I'm afraid of failure, I'm afraid of the withdrawl symptoms most of all. Everyone at work smokes, on the job, in the break room, so will power will have to be strong. I really just wanted to introduce myself and put myself out here on this forum. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 11:26

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

congratulations on making this HUGE decision to give yourself the gift of health & way to hold yourself accountable! i quit for 8 months before- and STILL had cravings everyday. that IS the worst part in my opinion- it NEVER goes away i hear. willpower is a must. i've heard that most people gain weight because they substitute smoking for food because they don't know what else to do with themselves- i.e. on break ~ work. so, just be concious of that. maybe try taking up something else- like reading? i wish you the best of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:07

Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't agree willpower is a must. Carla, do yourself a huge favor and pick up Allen Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking".

You can read reviews of it online at Barnes and Noble or Amazon. I wouldn't have been able to stop smoking if I hadn't read it, and I sure the heck wouldn't have had as easy a time quitting as I did if I hadn't. I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day for 22 years.

I've been smoke-free a little over 4 months now. Not smoking isn't an issue at all. I spent a weekend at a convention recently, surrounded by smokers and sitting right next to them and it wasn't until we were headed home I realized smoking hadn't even crossed my mind! That's the gift the book gives I think.

I've had some problems, but that's more related to thyroid and my own impatience and self pity in stalled weight loss. Of course the best thing for a pity party is to eat a pound of chocolate daily for a couple weeks (NOT!!). The book does talk about willpower (it's not a willpower issue at all), withdrawals and using no substitutes such as food. Look up reviews on it, you'd be surprised.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 18:50

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I'm with Kharma, Carla! Allen Carr's book is a great help. Now would be an ideal time for you to read it...he makes a point of telling readers not to quit smoking until they've finished reading the book. I didn't know that when I quit May 7, but the book was still a big help.

I've been smoke-free for almost two weeks now and, surprisingly, it's been easy. Honest! Other than the usual auto reponse urges for a smoke (like after a meal), the cravings have been non-existent. And I smoked for 40 years. When I think of all the years I was afraid to try, because of all the horror stories I'd heard.....

The biggest advantage for me has been having no cigarettes in my vicinity--I'm surrounded my non smokers. Another thing I did was to keep an "I Quit" journal. For the first few days, whenever I got the urge, I just kept my fingers typing madly until the urge passed.

I hope you're one of the lucky people who find quitting easy, Carla.

judy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 05:34
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Carla. I too am planning to quit real soon. My doctor started me on Welbutrin 4 days ago and in 10 more days I will start using the patch. I thought he was nuts but he said the Welbutrin may help me. WHO KNOWS. (crosses fingers) This will be the hardest thing I have ever done by far. I too feel anxiety about quiting but I know in time that will pass. My father died from smoking when I was 14, 3 of my sisters all older, have smoking related illnesses real bad. I have been smoking 20 years now, WAY too freaking long. This is it! No turning back. My 4 children that are my life need me. There I said it OUT LOUD.... IM QUITING. Not sure why he wants me to take this for 2 weeks first but Im game if it will help.. I wish you the best of luck. If you want we can encourage one another in journals. I know that I will need all the support I can get.. Take care

Angel
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 23:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 268/268/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 0%

you CAN do it!!! I did
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 10:44
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Ok, tomorrow morning at 6 am Im slapping the patch on. I know alot don't like the patch but my dh used it and is smoke free almost 2 years now. I need the help. So as of tomorrow morning I will be SMOKE FREE...........
Wish me luck
Angel
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 11:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 268/268/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 0%

Luck!!!!! I AM SURE YOU WILL DO GREAT!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:47
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Day 1, havn't killed anyone yet
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:58

BF:

Thanks so much everyone. I will check out that book today! I'm actually looking forward to quitting. I can't wait to sleep a full night without waking up and weezing and hacking. Just a few more days.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 06:48

BF:

Day 2...I can't wait for this to get easier. I keep having these thoughts of "ok, now it's time for a smoke" Of course I can't have one and I get really sad, like I'm grieving. I slept a whole night without waking up and I wasn't hacking and gagging when I woke up this morning. This cup of coffee I'm drinking isn't helping the cravings. Mike and I had a big blow out fight. Now whenever I mention a craving he gives me a hug. Ok, now I'm rambling. Sorry.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 09:26
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hey Carla,

It will get easier ~ I promise! This time last year I was in your shoes.....I kept asking everyone here will this ever get easier?? I was miserable and I felt awful! It wasn't easy, as you well know, but it is worth it. You are in control, and although right now it still feels like the cigs are controlling you....each day you choose not to light up shows just how in control you are! You are doing fantastic and should be very proud! Whenever I felt like ripping someones face off (you can ask my hubby it was quite often the first month! ) I'd go for a quick brisk walk ~ 5 minutes would take care of it & help get rid of or control the frustration I was feeling.

Tuesday I will be celebrating one year of being smoke free and I felt exactly the same way you did when I first quit and I made it! You will too!

Keep posting hon....if you are feeling down or frustrated.....we're all here for you!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 15:58
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

{{{Hugz}}} I know exactly how bad ya feel hun. I myself am on day 8. Earlier I went insane after having coffee without my ciggy,uhg. Kept telling myself ALL the hard work wouldn't be worth didly if I gave in. Hour by hour for this lady. My best wishes for you.

Angel