Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 06:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Snack Attack Hacks

What's your favorite way of staving off a craving?

A simple cup of bouillon, or instant Egg Drop Soup (whisk an egg into a cup of chicken bouillon) often tides me over.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 07:17

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

A craving for carbs, or a craving for food?

I'm at a point where "eat when you're hungry" can sometimes involve a fair amount of deciding if I'm ACTUALLY hungry.

The bullion often works (now that I've switched to Simple Girl, instead of the ones full of sugar). Kills my diet-soda craving, too (which was really a salt-craving in disguise.... I always knew this, but often didn't have a good answer.)

Seaweed snacks are another good one, when I'm smelling chips or some other greasy, salty thing. (Again, it's the grease and salt my body REALLY wants.)

Dill pickles are great, in general, as a low-carb, low low cal, "nibble", while deciding if a full meal is really worth the effort of making and eating it.

And when I'm really, truly craving sweets -- this usually happens at, say, a party where everyone is indulging -- and feeling sorry for myself because I can't have them, I whip up an LC cheesecake. Because I have discovered that it is impossible to feel sorry for myself while eating really good cheesecake. (I use stevia as my sweetener, and cut the sweetness WAY down from the amount given in my start recipe... if it calls for 1.5 C sugar, I'll add about 1/4 C -equivalent stevia. (I've got the super-concentrated powder where it's 100% stevia, and you have this tiny little scoop to measure.) I've also got a recipe for LC chocolate cupcakes.... LC, high protein (6 cupcakes uses 4 eggs), based on coconut flour... We use premium Ghirardelli cocoa powder (the stuff you special order), so they're super-decadent... And practically a meal, each. (That's what we had for my B-day, back in Feb. Super-good, but also didn't trigger cravings.)

I do not believe in depriving myself.... if you feel deprived, you'll give in, in a weak moment.

So if there's stuff I REALLY want, I try to find a way to FILL that craving, rather than deny it.

Fill it, stay on-plan, and not trigger cravings.

(ETA: IF anyone us curious about the cupcakes , I've included the link to the recipe we used last time -- this is as close as I could find to the "original" recipe I used, ages ago. The frosting they list is WAY too sweet for our tastes.... we had a 90% cocoa bar we used for that bit, and didn't sweeten it at all... even the kids said it was perfect.)

Last edited by LiterateGr : Wed, Mar-13-19 at 07:22.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 07:53

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Missed the bit where this was about snackage! lol Focused on cravings!

We buy nuts (mostly almonds, but also pecans) as close to "raw" as they sell them, and keep them in large jars. 1/4c can be a large snack or a small meal, depending, and takes no effort. (We keep a scoop in the jar. Measured nuts go in a bowl, and the lid goes back on the jar.)

Deviled eggs are great, when I have them made up. (Sometimes, I'll spring for the pre-boiled eggs to do this, because it saves me the headache of peeling them, when I'm making a couple dozen at once.)

We buy uncured salami, and wrap it around a little cream cheese for quick "lunchables".

Cream-cheese stuffed black olives were a "dinner party" thing when I was a kid, and a fun treat, now.

Seaweed snacks.... they tend to have enough fat content to make you stop being hungry, despite having almost no substance. (Someone I suggested them to said they tasted like eating salty tissue paper.)

We keep a variety of cheeses in the fridge -- sliced, string, and grated. My favorite "stop being hungry" is a single slice of good-quality Swiss, but good-quality swiss is expensive. So instead, I'll take a slice of something else, and nuke it for 30 seconds on a piece of parchment paper. (Turns out CRISPY.) Costco has started selling "Whisps", which is basically the same thing, but with Parmesan.

I know -- this is a lot more dairy than some folks like, but these are various snacks, not eating it all in one day.

And yeah... I do dairy. I read my labels, and know my limits, and know what works for my body. Yesterday, I was feeling tired, stressed, and overworked. Never DID have a proper meal, but 3 different times, went and nuked a slice of cheese because I was "starving". (I knew I really wasn't, that it was stress, but it shut my body up.) Those 3 slices of cheese were pretty much ALL I ate all day. (By dinner, I wasn't that hungry.... I ate about 2 TBS.)

Mini-quiche are also a good prep-ahead thing. Scramble up eggs, some cheese/cream (optional, but adds fat) and whatever other goodies you like in your eggs. (From meats to veggies, to spices... there's a LOT you can do!)
Prep muffin-tray (I use silicon muffin-molds). Fill each "muffin" halfway. (I'll use a dozen eggs to make a dozen). Bake at 350 for... around 25 minutes. Should be nicely browned when you take it out. (Can check for done-ness with a toothpick.) Let them cool, wrap, and refrigerate/freeze. Pop them out and eat cold or hot, as you prefer. (A little dijon mustard can go well on them.) Once they're made up, makes for a quick meal. (At most, you have to nuke it for 30 seconds, and can eat as quickly as a traditional breakfast sandwich)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 08:01

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

That's a tough one. I force myself to compute the carbs and log the time started, and time ended of everything I consume. I find myself reaching for my food log over and over consecutively, and this clicks in my brain that I'm over doing it and I get a chance to stop.