Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 19:55
Registered Member

Plan: General LC/Paleo
Stats: 151/127/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Question Has anyone used Cortislim?

I've seen lots of commercials lately and was wondering about this product. I looked at the website and it looks pretty harmless but I was wondering if anyone has tried it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 20:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Post a link to the website. I've never tried it, but if there are any bad ingredients in it people here may be able to tell you.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 20:51

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Here's the link:

http://www.cortislim.com/ingredients.htm

I didn't see anything dangerous in it, but if you are low carbing faithfully following a particular plan you are going to naturally have appetite control and your blood sugars should remain fairly stable all by themselves.

Next comment: if it looks to good to be true, it probably IS to good to be true.

shortstuff
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 10:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/150/140 Female 5
BF:
Progress:

They have been pushing that commercial here like crazy...mostly on the raido, and I must admit i have been tempted to try it....I hope someone will post results if they have tried it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: General LC/Paleo
Stats: 151/127/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Part of what this product does seems to focus on managing the level of the stress hormone cortisol, which we can't control by what we eat. that sounds interesting. On the other hand, I don't want to get into something like a kava kava-type herb that is just supposed to relax me.

Dunno - which is why I'm skeptical. I agree that things that sound too good to be true usually are. Money back guarantees help, though.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else. I think this is a relatively new product though so we might not hear from anyone who has actually tried it.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/172.5/115 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Cortislim

I did a search on the internet on this product and I came accross a web site that stated that the only ingredient in cortisol blockers that has any effect is called "Phosphatidylserine". And that if you were going to take it you would be you would need about 800 mg a day for it to have any effect. But you can buy a product with just "Phosphatidylserine" and nothing else. But to take 800 mg a day it would be expensive. Most cortisol blockers that I have seen only contain 8.3mg of this ingredient.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 16:16
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I kind of considered it, but then the commercial said it was for those 40 and over that have excess abdomonal fat. While my abdomen is the problem, my age isn't quite yet.

Isn't that the same hormone you want just before working out to be able to put up more and last longer?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 23:43

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

[QUOTE]Part of what this product does seems to focus on managing the level of the stress hormone cortisol, which we can't control by what we eat.[/QUOTE

Light to moderate exercise also helps reduce cortisol. I wouldn't trust any suppliment that saturates the media with ads. Just my 2 cents.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 09:11
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I'm definitely confused when it comes to hormones - but I saw this commercial and thought it was probably not worthwhile - I read something at Dr. Hussmans fitness site - where he suggests taking vitamin C upon waking to help shut down the cortisol that apparently is in production while sleeping. This info was in his advice to people doing BFL

Dr. Sussman Fitness Link
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 09:41
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

There's a lot of info on that site - so here is the snippet about the cortisol

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Dr. Sussmans Fitness Pages
Timing your supplements (optional)

If you want to maximize both muscle gain and fat loss, it helps to get your insulin and cortisol under control. The following schedule is optional, not essential. But if you're the kind of person who wants everything exact, here's my advice on timing your supplements (obviously, this schedule assumes that your insulin regulation is not impaired by diabetes, in which case you should follow the routine prescribed by your physician). I mention some supplements below. Most everything you want to know about them is in the Supplements section further down on this page.

In the morning: Take 500-1000 mg of Vitamin C. Objective: Shut down cortisol levels without triggering significant insulin release.
Immediately after workouts: If you're using glutamine, L-Leucine, or supplements containing Leucine metabolites such as HMB, these should be taken immediately after your workout. And take another 500-1000 mg of Vitamin C. If you smell ammonia (basically nitrogen, and a signal that your cortisol levels are high enough to trigger protein breakdown), you should take a protein and carbohydrate containing supplement immediately. In general, however, the most appropriate protein to take immediately is simply a gram of L-Leucine (I use the Source Naturals brand available through www.iherb.com ). Objective: Shut down cortisol if necessary, and take protein-building supplements when they are most readily taken up by muscle.
About 60 minutes after workouts: Drink a supplement shake or other quickly digested supplement containing both protein and simple carbohydrates. If you're having a solid meal, this is the one meal that should definitely contain at least some higher glycemic carbohydrates. Any supplements containing high-glycemic carbohydrates (such as Phosphagen HP or RiboForce) should be taken within 60 minutes of weight-training. Objective: Shut down cortisol hard, spike insulin after weight training, and trigger muscle synthesis.
In every meal except the post-workout meal, consume protein and low-glycemic carbohydrates, particularly if your main goal is fat loss. Use vegetables or low-calorie fruits to provide fiber and satisfy hunger. Drink water frequently to support metabolism. Objective: maintain a stable nutrient stream, keeping both insulin and cortisol in check.
As the last ration of the night before you go to sleep, have 500-1000 mg of Vitamin C, a small serving of cottage cheese (slowly digested and high in glutamine content to reduce cortisol levels), and a green apple or pear (both very low glycemic), and a supplement containing glutamine. Objective: Reduce cortisol, provide a slowly digested nutrient flow without elevating insulin.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 15:10

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 260/260/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Cortislim Claims Low-Carbing is Bad

I listen to the radio during the day so I get a chance to hear these Cortislim ads. The doctor who made Cortislim claims that a group called Supplement Watch, "a leading research group", claims that there are side effects to low-carb diets including memory loss, heart disease, fatigue and mood swings.

Personally, I think the guy is simply trying to capitalize on the popularity of low-carb plans to sell his product. "Just take this pill and you'll lose weight and you can still eat all the foods you love." Enticing, huh? But does Cortislim lower your cholesterol and triglycerides? What good does it do to lower cortisol yet raise the very things that truly contribute to heart disease?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 21:59
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

I had heard all of the commercials also, and never thought about ordering it.... However, I have had in depth tests to investigate other issues (endometriosis - had surgery last March) and my cortisol levels were higher than the normal range of being 'high'. My doctor told me that this makes my body hold on to fat. Since I have a problem with estrogen, and cortisol and progesterone compete to enter a cell, less progesterone due to high cortisol exacerbates estrogen dominance. Sorry if this is tmi, but the body is very complex, and I still don't understand everything myself. I excercise 6 days a week and should definitely weigh less, and I don't lose even when I don't cheat. I am not saying I am that heavy by any means, but there is a pretty big disconnect that has been happening between my diet/excercise and weight loss. I haven't changed my stats but am up over 140 again and have remained at 34% body fat since October. Excercise can increase cortisol levels because it is the 'anti-stress' hormone, and that means any stress, even moderate levels of excercise and your body will produce cortisol as an anti-inflammatory. So....... to end a long story, I ordered it and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I will be happy to post all results. Since by now I have forgotten about weighing 120 (yes, so sue me, even I am tired of reading the posts of those weighing 117 and complaining about their bellies) and would be ecstatic to be 130, maybe it will be the help I need to get rid of the last pesky pounds. If anyone else has these issues or tried this product, please chime in!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 19:13

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

#14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 00:22

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

I copied this from a similar above post:

PLEASE LISTEN TO ME: If their product worked, REALLY had ANY value, it would not be sold on TV. It would be bought by a giant pharmaceutical company and sold by prescription for ghastly inflated prices! This "Dr Cynammon" guy is selling this for his "associate". Lord, they have been in respected journals he claims, such as Ladies Home Journal...WOW, real hard core scientific journal there.
Porcellino, you pegged it with the expression "snake oil"salesman. If one truly has a cortisol abundance, they NEED medical intervention as this is life threatning (as can be deficiencies of cortisol).
Low carb, exercise and water is the best "pill". I am saying this because I care and get angry at these a-hol=s who wanna make a quick buck with a slick ad. Save your money for those steak dinners!!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:03

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

Amen, Sharann!
To your remedy, I would also add 30 min a day of moderate exercise.