Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

After taking just a generic multi vitamin for my first six weeks on Atkins, I just got L-Carnitine as well as Atkins Basic #3 and Essential Oils. Here's hoping it helps me lose better. But then again, I'm better off taking vitamins in general so it's worth it even if it doesn't affect my weight loss.

I saw CoQ10 at Costco yesterday and almost bought some, but I had just ordered all these vitamins from the net and thought I should try the L-Carnitine for a while and see how it goes. This is a lot of pills to take every day, and a lot to spend on pills, I'm not sure if I could handle any more

What exactly is CoQ10 supposed to do?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 15:17

Stats: 250/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default What doseage do you think?

I'm currently taking 100 of the CoQ10 and I can't recall how much L-carnitine. Is there a doseage that seems to work best for you? How much is too much?

I'm also considering L-tyrosine (sp?) and wonder if anybody's tried that?

Thanks.

Virginia
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 18:18

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default 150 mg

Hi --

The circumstantial evidence around here is that 150 mg/day is a good number for coQ10.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 19:38

Plan: Atkins/Carb Addicts
Stats: 375/303/225
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default L-carnitine

Sandy:

If you are going to take L-carnitine, and I would suggest you should, I would encourage you to buy the Acetyl-L-carnitine. It is a little more expensive than L-carnitine, however, it has a very positive effect on your brain function. It will improve your mental clarity and memory. It is actually used for Alzheimers patients. As I said, it is a few dollars more, but, the positive mood and memory improvements are worth the little extra. If you just purchase L-carnitine, be sure it is L-carnitine tartrate, which is the most effective. I get mine locally from a vitamin/supplement supplier who is on the internet and has excellent prices. I buy NOW brand which is a well known brand and offers good quality. The distributor is vitaglo and can be found at www.vitaglo.com. Check it out. I think acetyl-L-carninte is one of the best supplements you can take on a low carb diet. As for doseage, it differs for different people. I say work with 500 mg doses, increasing by 500 until you find a level where you feel very positive and alert. I don't believe there is a toxicity to this supplement, however, I don't believe you need over 1000 mg a day (obviously height and weigh effect doseage). I think the biggest limiter as to how much you take may be the expense. Good Luck!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 08:48

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default nothing for me

Hi --

I'm not denying JayDee's point, but just for the record I've tried both l-carnitine and acetyl-lcarnitine and I could not tell the difference between the two, and niether did a thing for me. I'm not saying it won't work for anyone else, just that it did not for me. Heck, maybe my mental acuity is already at it's peak! And wouldn't that be scary if it was . . .
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 18:15

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I am taking 100 mg of L-Carnitine and 150 mg of COQ10 each day. I seem to lose more steadily while on it. I have been taking these for about 3 months straight now along with a lower dosage of Chromium Picolinate.

The one thing I have really noticed is that the COQ10 has had a dramatic effect on the health of my gums. My dentist was overjoyed at how much improved my gum health was the last time I went in for a cleaning and checkup. The only change was teh COQ10. It is supposed to help with heart and gum health. Since I have Mitral Valve Prolapse... I am hoping my heart is benefiting from this combo as much as my gums have.

It IS expensive... but I used to spend alot of money on crappy food choices... so now I am just investing it in my health.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/138/115 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question

hello girls!

I went and bought some L-carnitine, and is 500mg is that good enough or should I take 1000mg?
Let me know if any of you know....
Thanks,
Raquel
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 14:40
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Smile CoQ10 and L-Carnitine

I take them both....from what I have read it is recommended at 100mb for CoQ10 and 1000 mg for L-Carnitine......I'm a believer.....think may weight loss keeps steady (along with my energy level) while I take them.

I purchase mine online at genesisnutrition.com.....don't think there prices are too high especially with the online specials such as buy 2 get 1 free.....figuring it with the specials, the prices are pretty good! Quick shipping also!!!

Micsing
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 14:55
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/138/115 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 34%
Smile L-Carnitine

Thanks Micsing!
I thought that's what is was, but I was a little nervous about changing the dosage that I was taking....