Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 12:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
Yes, but has anyone found a way for it not to bother your stomach at the uppper levels?

Have you tried taking it at meal time? I take mine on an empty stomach and never had any issues.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 22:16

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I know you have pointed up the fact that this calculator is for 1000iu but I do feel we need to flag up the fact that our body uses a minimum of 4000iu/daily and that doesn't allow any for storage or to deal with chronic conditions or obesity.
So you need to exposure ideally FIVE times as much skin as they say for that calculation or stay outside for 5 times as long.
Do remember that bodies laying down in the sun receive more UVB than upright bodies.
Another complication is that Vitamin d synthesis is a self limiting process so once the D3 is made if it isn't absorbed straight away the process continues and the surplus D3 is converted to products the body does not use. So by the time your skin gets to burning there is no D3 near the surface of the skin to control the repair process.
That's why I think the full body skin exposure allows a shorter time and is generally more effective because least tanned skin makes most D3.
Also be aware that there is a huge difference in the response to UVB.
The higher your 25(OH)D the less new D3 your skin makes.
So it pays to get a 25(OH)D test regularly at least at first, to be sure you know that you are above 55ng and you understand how well your skin responds to sunlight.

I have been taking 10,000 IUs daily. I have not had my levels checked yet. The reason I take that much is because of my race and I rarely get enough direct sunshine. I walk daily but usually surrounded by shade trees. Also with this being flu/cold season I make it a point to take 10,000IUs of Vitamin D3 daily. I will have the levels checked in January to determine rather or not I am taking enough.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 03:50
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I have been taking 10,000 IUs daily. I have not had my levels checked yet. The reason I take that much is because of my race and I rarely get enough direct sunshine. I walk daily but usually surrounded by shade trees. Also with this being flu/cold season I make it a point to take 10,000IUs of Vitamin D3 daily. I will have the levels checked in January to determine rather or not I am taking enough.
Grassrootshealth D Action postal 25(OH)D testing service $40 When you do it would be helpful if you would participate in this trial. Not only do you get a test at cost price but you also contribute to the research project by adding to the data for the trial.

I just hope they realize that MOST people will be aware they are initially deficient and will only spend money on a test AFTER they have been using an effective amount of D3 for at least 2~3 months.

I think the reason for current low levels globally is that people don't realize Fructose (HCFS) inhibits calcium uptake and depletes 25(OH)D.

Similarly it's not widely appreciated that UVA that passes through glass windows, car windscreens, processes Vit D3 into suprasterols the body doesn't use. It's all very well spending 20minutes in the sun to make your vitamin D3 but your wasting all this D3 if you then sit by a sunny window or in the conservatory or under fluorescent lights for the rest of the day.

Many people also use sunscreen or photo protective cosmetics that move UVB into the UVA spectrum. So not only to they prevent Vit d production but actively accelerate it's destruction.

Because it's difficult to predict either how any individual will respond to D3 supplements or sun exposure, nor can we guess to what extent the above factors are depleting their D3 reserves it's important at least once a year to have a 25(OH)D to be sure what you are doing is about right for you.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 10:46

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Yes, I've tried the drops and taking it with food.

Got my D tested and once again it is too low. Don't know the exact number yet tho becuase I haven't gone back...just had a message saying it was too low.

So, when it was higher in May it was the sun, not the pills. Interestingly enough, my fibro pain is on high these days as well.

Guess I'll just have to move down south!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How many IU are in the drops?
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:45
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
How many IU are in the drops?

There are two strengths, one has 400 IU/drop, and the other has 2,000 IU/drop.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
Yes, I've tried the drops and taking it with food.

Got my D tested and once again it is too low. Don't know the exact number yet tho becuase I haven't gone back...just had a message saying it was too low.

So, when it was higher in May it was the sun, not the pills. Interestingly enough, my fibro pain is on high these days as well.

Guess I'll just have to move down south!

Did you try the Biotech D3? It comes in 1,000, 5,000, and 50,000 IUs.

It's probably the purest power form.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/171/170 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default sunshine

the Vitamin D Council site http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/ states "The skin produces approximately 10,000 IU vitamin D in response 20–30 minutes summer sun exposure" which correlates with what I have read elsewhere. Perhaps Dr. Mercolas calculator is in error?