Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 16:17

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%
Default A question before a purchase - Oil of Oregano

This is about oil of oregano.

At my health food store it is $30

I want to know if this is a good purchase or not. I have done a small amount of research on this myself, but I wanted to know from people who actually take it, does it work?

I am 110, I want to lose a little bit more. Do you think this will help me. I have been at this weight for a long time. It's not like it is a 4 week stall or anything lol. I am very short, not even 5 foot, so even 110 doesn't look that great on me.

I just want to know if it is worth it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 17:05

Plan: My plan
Stats: 212/190/180 Female 62"
BF:go/n/down
Progress: 69%

If I weighed 110....I would go shopping instead.
I'm only 5'2.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 17:08

BF:

I would be fine if I was 5'2 and weighed that much.
But I think with the yeast killing benefits it would be a good idea and maybe help me get rid of bloat and whatnot. I have been struggling with this for a bit.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 17:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

I don't know anything about Oil of Oregano but if you have yeast concerns have you tried cutting out "cheese (except for mozzarella and cream cheese), vinegar, soy sauce and other fermented condiments, plus mushrooms, sauerkraut, sour cream, peanuts, cashews and pistachios (all nuts are subject to mold but these last two often contain the greatest amount. The list also includes smoked or cured foods, yeast-containing vitamins (make sure the labe says they are yeast free) and wine, beer and spirits."?

Ah, here it is! Atkins talks about Probiotics being essential in dealing with yeast, then adds:"Other nutrients than can have a favorble effect on a yeast overgrowth include caprulic or undecenylic acid, oil of oregano, and olive leaf extract"

My apologies if I'm covering what's old ground for you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 17:28

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

All I can say is I tried the ooo and other than some nasty burps it didnt do anything to me at all. I took it for 3 wks.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 17:44

BF:

Hmm, odd,well I am still thinking about it. I might be able to get it on line for cheaper, I think. Where does anyone suggest I get it online?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 07:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi I have taken mine for almost 2 and 1/2 years and I cant stand to not take it. At first it made me feel very sick, I know that I have a yeast problem though that comes out on my skin as a funny looking rash. The doctors told me to just use over the counter cream, but now that I take OOO I dont have this anymore. I havent been sick, no drippy nose, nothing the kids have brought home. My husband thinks I have a cast iron stomach or something because even when the stomach flu is going around I never get it. I use it for all the benefits of health, and then it did help me lose weight. When I take it I notice alot more energy, I dont burp the taste like alot do, but I always take mine and then eat something.

I get my OOO at the health food store for like 6.99 a bottle. We have a local store here in town that sells it. I have seen it at GNC but the price difference is crazy so I just stick to the little health store. Also I have seen it lately at Smiths Food store.

Good luck, and if you chose to do it, just buy one bottle and see how you feel. I started with one a day, and now take 3 a day.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 05:51
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I get mine (150 mg gelcaps) from swansonvitamins.com for 5.99 plus 4.99 (any size order) shipping. I think swansons has the best prices on supplements.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 06:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I wouldn't bother taking it unless you're pretty sure you have yeast overgrowth, and even then, be sure to do the whole yeast-management thing. I take OoO for my acne, and it's worked wonders to keep my six-week-old piercing amazingly infection-free, but has done zilch for my weight.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 07:12
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

To gauge what a fair price to pay for supplements, refer to:

http://www.vitacost.com/store/produ...earchBy=PN&ss=1

Note that they charge $5 for shipping so you can either add that to the price or don't add it because you save gas and time by ordering on-line.

If you think you have yeast (Candida) problems you might want to check out the following links.

http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/...ast&SearchBy=HL

http://www.vitacost.com/DigestiveHe...ida&SearchBy=HL

http://www.vitacost.com/newsletter/...ida&SearchBy=HL
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 21:24

BF:

Thanks soo much for the info. I think I am going to get it from Swanson because it was cheapest there.

About the piercing thing, that would probably help me out too since I have plenty of those!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:18

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

I take OoO for my sinuses and it works great for that! Plus, my allergies don't bother me as much...as for weight loss? A lot of the research I did claimed that to be a myth and I tend to believe it... The only way to find out for yourself is to give it a try. I buy mine from Wild Oats for $15.00 a bottle...the brand is Giaha.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-05, 10:53

Plan: PSMF (from Veg Atkins)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI 41.8/29.6/23.5
Progress: 73%

I have used it mostly for cold prevention in the winter (I work with kids, so germs are EVERYWHERE!) I have heard people take this probiotic for this reason and I also bought it because of Dr. Atkins. I bought mine for less than $10 Canadian (I can't remember exactly how much) and I too don't enjoy the repeating of italian flavoured food throughout the day.

I don't know if it worked, and I rarely use it now. Sometimes I add it to food for an oregano taste (like low carb pizza). I say save your $ unless you know for sure that you have yeast issues.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 08:15

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I take it for allergies in the Spring, but other than that, it doesn't seem to do anything for me. Works like a charm, though, for watery itchy mucusy eyes (and none of the prescriptions the doctor gave me did a thing).