Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 19:39

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%
Default 20 fashion tips for ladies losing weight...

I thought about this as I was commuting home. I work in part of the fashion industry and must dress accordingly. A lot of women at my office are on diets and they all must look stunning every day. My boss is a well-known icon of beauty advice and I'd thought I'd share some tips so that your wardrobe doesn't cost you an arm and a leg while you lose.

1. Elastic waist bands. Oh, I know, ew. But you can get a lot more mileage from a pair of well made trousers or skirts if you have a scrunchable waist.
--TIP: have waist band gap? you know, when the hips fit but the waist is too big? Take a piece of elastic that is about the height of your waist band (watch that you use black with black, etc) Stitch one side first then the other... stretch to fit your new sized back and stitch into place... not too gathered but it will help you get through a few sizes.

2. wrap skirts, shirts, and dresses. Look for clothing that can be cinched in as you go.

3. knits. Buying fitted blouses seems like such fun as you lose, but investing in some knit shirts that will shrink with you will keep you fashion forward and out of the poor house inthe long run.

4. colour. Use bright colours in your wardrobe that you might never have dared before. A great scarf, piece of fashion jewellery, or wonderful cami in a jewel tone can light up your face (sometimes dieters look a bit tired or drawn).

5. buy pretty shoes. Your feet might lose some size (really), but invariably your shoes will fit as you lose. Spending some money on some awesome shoes can make many outfits look amazing.

6. Try a belt. if you're thinking, What? with my waist? go big and wear a blazer or over shirt and leave it open. Get used to seeing a new waist.

7. smooth out the cellulite and other lumps and bumps. Spanx, girdles, and control top stockings are your friends! (oh, and wear beige under white please!)

8. Get your bra fitted. It takes a moment to get the right bra. Lots of department stores offer this service free and it will make the girls look great. Nothing says dumpy like a deflated bosom.

9. Dark colours where you want to hide stuff. Ok, so you're sporting that new emerald green blouse but you've lost less on your booty. Deck out the bottom (or maybe the top if you lose butt first) in a dark colour. The bright colour moves towards the eye, the dark recedes.

10. Cut your hair. Lanky hair, and bushiness is something most of us 'hid' behind. Let it go. Get a face framing, attractive and modern hair style.

11. Makeup. you might need to go to see what wonderful ways a makeup artist can highlight those cheekbones you can see now! Want to lose 10 years off your look? Smooth out your skin with makeup. (Mac cosmetics offers this free and they do a good job)

12. OH you old sew and sew... if you are handy with a needle and thread, start making darts, tucks, and take up those too-long pants before you look like you're always in pajamas.

13. remodel. Oh, you hate to buy new, do you? Well check out the 2nd hand clothing, but be very careful you don't end up looking like you should have driven up in a Delorean (note: shoulder pads are a no no). Just because the jeans at Goodwill only cost 2.50, it's not an excuse for wearing 'mom' jeans.

14. The staples. One pair black pants. One white, crisp blouse. all the rest can work around it.

16. 'Accessorize the positive'. Again, lovely scarves, jewellery, shoes, and some awesome cool purses (yay, Payless) can make you look hot.

17. Read fashion magazines. You have a new body to dress. You might need new rules!

18. Ignore fads. You love the metallic look this season? fine, buy a pair of ballet shoes in gold, or a neat bag. Just because your thighs are looking amazing doesn't mean they should be packed into gold pants.

19. Know how old you are! Yes, you can now fit into the juniors section, but are you over 30? Get back to the right department, missy! nothing ages a woman more than trying to look younger than she is with fashion faux pas.

20. Mani/pedis... if you can't afford it do it yourself, but along with lovely shoes, grooming your nails really goes a long way to making yourself look polished all over!

Okay now strut your new stylin' butts! (be the diva, be the diva)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Love it! Thanks pennink!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:15
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

What a neat thread!

And just in time for those of us who are struggling as we try to find our new 'size'. Shopping in the plus size stores has meant a limited selection, and now that the 'plus size' clothing doesn't fit me anymore, I'm finding myself a little lost. I'm hesitant to buy anything too expensive, because I'm still working towards my goal, but at the same time - really confused as to what to wear or buy.

One thing that's helped - buying jeans with a bit of stretch in them - they last a lot longer as I lose the weight.

I'm looking forward to getting some new makeup sometime soon. That, and a fresh haircut.

I've spent so much time buying the cheapest stuff I can find...and sticking to really boring basics. I can't wait to branch out into some more colourful things.

I really like the idea of decent shoes and some nice accessories as I carry on losing the rest of this extra weight. I have a funny feeling I'll be living in jeans and black turtlenecks this fall.

But hey - as you've said - why not get the better shoes, the nice belt and the pretty scarf in the meantime?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:28

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink the fashion diva
12. OH you old sew and sew... if you are handy with a needle and thread, start making darts, tucks, and take up those too-long pants before you look like you're always in pajamas.

wait... you mean pajamas AREN'T work-wear? even the soft yellow ones with the very artsy-yet-tasteful french poodles on them?

what about my blue-ish purple ones with the multicolored stars on them? those were always a great hit on saturdays, especially with my beat-up black fuzzy slippers (and yes, i did wear this to work one day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink the fashion diva
18. Ignore fads. You love the metallic look this season? fine, buy a pair of ballet shoes in gold, or a neat bag. Just because your thighs are looking amazing doesn't mean they should be packed into gold pants.

now wait a second, those gold lame leggings of mine are a PERFECT accent to the sequinned-mosaic leopard print blouse with the linebacker shoulderpads and the tiger's face on the back. and with the faux zebra-fur messenger bag and my knee-high giraffe-print ugg-style boots with the electric blue fleece accents, i'm the hit of the no-tel motel!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:31

Where'd ya get that zebra-fur messenger bag... I soooo need one
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:39
I've decided

You're hilarious Kvon!

Just hilarious.

Wanna know how bad I am? I won't even wear running shoes with jeans. In fact, I won't wear runners unless I'm actually exercising. Which is..um...never.

There was a time in my life when I didn't actually own any jeans....
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:43

I really hate running shoes. I will buy the little white simple ones (H&M has them now) like we wore in the 60s before Adidas made them all chunky. Jeans make most people look hefty.

Wear DARK jeans, watch how high or low they go (too high mom jeans, too low skank). I would suggest nice shoes even pointed toe shoes with jeans to make your legs look longer.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 21:21
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
I really hate running shoes. I will buy the little white simple ones (H&M has them now) like we wore in the 60s before Adidas made them all chunky. Jeans make most people look hefty.

Wear DARK jeans, watch how high or low they go (too high mom jeans, too low skank). I would suggest nice shoes even pointed toe shoes with jeans to make your legs look longer.

You're sooooo good at this!!!

I've made it a 'rule' that the jeans have to be dark, and not too high or low. And no, I wouldn't be caught dead in running shoes with or without jeans.

Am I awful?

Pointed toe shoes? Ack - I need a style maven to help me out with this. A personal shopper or what have you.

Right now it's black loafers. In summers, slides are good.

But pointy-toe shoes?

Ok...I need *help*!

When I do finally get to goal, I'll be looking around for someone to go shopping with. Or someone to help suggest where to buy what. I'm new to the US - originally from Vancouver, and now living in Colorado with my husband. All the stores are different, and at first - I was ok with the plus size stores...and now that they don't work for me anymore, I don't exactly know where to shop. Or what to buy...

In the meantime, I'll be living in my bathrobe.

Don't laugh - it's a very nice robe..and one of the few things that still fits me.

Oh, I'll figure it out when the time comes, but - this is truly a great thread, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you

Last edited by Citruskiss : Mon, Aug-20-07 at 21:28.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 21:38

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

And make sure you're wearing the right colors. If I wore black pants with a crisp white, white blouse, people would ask me if I was sick. I once had a white blouse and brown blazer. Everytime I wor it I would get sent home sick. It always made me looked flushed. When I wore black my skin would look gray.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 22:03

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
but invariably your shoes will fit as you lose

I hate to break the bad news, but...

Some WEIRDOS (ok...ME!) lose weight in their FEET. Yup....lost a half size. It was just enough of a loss for me not to fit in to my brand new leather FILA tennis shoes and my new pair of hiking boots. They became lose enough to cause blisters and now I can't wear them anymore.

Anyone need 2 slightly used pair of size 11's?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 22:11

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla

Some WEIRDOS (ok...ME!) lose weight in their FEET. Yup....lost a half size. It was just enough of a loss for me not to fit in to my brand new leather FILA tennis shoes and my new pair of hiking boots. They became lose enough to cause blisters and now I can't wear them anymore.

Anyone need 2 slightly used pair of size 11's?
Can you double up your socks. When we lived in Alaska we always bought winter shoes oversize to compensate for heavier socks.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 22:11

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Great thread Pennink! Thank you. You're the Clint and Stacy of this board.

Citrus - Macys department stores (or one of them anyway) has personal shoppers ... maybe that would help you. Or be sneaky and go to Nordstroms or Neiman Marcus and use them to find good stuff - then you'll know what looks good and can buy similar stuff elsewhere.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 23:09

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla

Some WEIRDOS (ok...ME!) lose weight in their FEET. Yup....lost a half size.

you're not weird. i went from a 9 to an 8½. i think a lot of it has to do with your feet having to carry less body mass, so they adjust accordingly.

i gave up on jeans long ago. i could never find any that were comfortable enough for me not to want to get out of them the moment i got home. and they're usually too long on me since clothing manufacturers seem to think that a size 18 means you're also 5'10". i've got long legs for my body, but finding petite jeans is a pain. i usually stick with capris or dress pants for work if i'm not in a skirt.

90% of my work wardrobe is black... partly from my gothlingness but also because half my wardrobe is from my east coast professional office days. i can't say it hasn't served me well, and i also can't say that it's inappropriate. but i know i need to add a few jewel-tones just to look a little more normal. i'm one of those rare coloring types that's both a fall and a spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
But pointy-toe shoes?

pointed-toe shoes aren't nearly as bad as they seem. you aren't supposed to get your toes ALL the way into the point. they can actually be really comfortable.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 02:11
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

What an interesting thread! Personally, I live in jeans, but I have to buy men's jeans. When I put on a pair of women's jeans that fit me in the waist, there's so much excess fabric flapping around my hips that I look like I'm wearing riding breeches.

And I couldn't live without my Saucony running shoes, the most comfortable shoes in the world, IMO.

Of course, jeans, tennie-runners and a water resistant parka are de rigueur where I live, sort of the standard uniform.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 03:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Great thread Pennink! Looking good is a big motivation to keep on programs and dressing well is such a huge part of looking good.
I have an embarrassingly huge wardrobe because of e-bay. Once you know brand names that fit well and how the sizing runs, you can get some incredible deals! I also sell my clothing that has gotten to large and finance most of my smaller sized items with my selling. Also a great place for shoes and accessories!!