Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: dr. akins
Stats: 308/205/150
BF:
Progress:
Cool looking for fla. chatters

is there anyone from florida or the jacksonville, fla. area?
i would love to find friends near-by to chat with.
i have been on the atkins plan for over a year now and have lost 94 lbs. being thinner feels so good to. nice to go buy clothes in the regular size department now instead of the plus sizes.
a born and raised in florida girl. raised on the west coast and have lived in jax now for 32 years.
some one write, i'd love to hear from some fla. friends.
a low carb dieter,
mary (fla. gal)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 23:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi Mary!
You sound like you have had great success on Atkins! Do you have any suggestions or hints to pass on? I'm in Palm Bay, Florida - I guess about 3 hours south of you on the East Coast.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 21:45

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/180/140
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Hi Mary, I am in Jax, too!

I would love to hear some of your tips on where to buy things and how you are doing on Atkins! I just started in January, and have recently gone off the bandwagon while in NYC!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 21:16
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 231/225/170
BF:
Progress: 10%
Cool florida girl, too

Hell-o Fellow Florida Crackers,
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 21:19
Registered Member

BF:
Default oops

Oops....hit the enter key instead of the tab...sorry.

I'm new to the LC way and anxious to learn more. Will continue to read up as much as I can find. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Different LC books seem to give confusing advice. I read and am trying to follow the Schwarzbein Principle. Have any of you tried it?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 13:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 245/241/160
BF:
Progress: 5%
Cool Florida, too!

Hi! Another Floridian checks in! I'm in Clearwater - too far for daily walks...but I'd be happy to chat with you! I'm new to LC - 6 days into it and doing OK.

If anything, this sunshine should melt the pounds away!

Lori Jo
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 16:43
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Hi LoriJo,

So glad to hear from another Floridian! Clearwater is one of my favorite places. I live in Orlando or rather Disney World! Went to college in Tampa and spent many happy hours in Clearwater.

How did you find the SP mathod. My doctor told be about it. I'm very happy with it.

Company coming for dinner, so must be brief. Would enjoy having a Florida pen pal if you're interested. Don't know how to do it, yet cause I'm new, too. Will look it up,.

See ya,,,,,Carrot
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 12:32

BF:
Default Fl chatter

Hi, Carrot -

Hope your dinner went well.

I'm not doing Schwartzbein (sp?) - I'm on Atkins. Are they much different?

Week 2 of induction starts tomorrow for me. I don't dare weigh myself until it's over.

Talk to you later!

Lori Jo
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 15:57
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

LoriJo,

I wasn't thinking until I had signed off. You are following Atkins and I am following the Schwarzbein Principle. I am currently reading a great book called, "The Secret To Low Carb Success" by Laura Richard. She explains about all the popular LC methods and there differences between Atkins and SP, but they both agree that too many carbs are the problem.

Dr.S includes more carbs than Atkins and eating from all four food groups at each meal. Weight loss is much slower, but eating is very satisfying and not boring. How have you been dooing on the induction phase? Is it difficult? I would encourage you to read the book of mentioned, because it gives a thorough look at benefits, how to really tell if it is working for you, stalls and how to get past them.

My weight loss has been slow, but I've lost inches and my blood numbers are great. My cholesterol dropped 65 points! I battle with hypothyroidism which doesn't help with making weight loss easy.

Is this the first time you've been on a LC diet? What brought you here and what else have you tried?

Company dinner was 98% successful. I tried a new LC dessert I found on the internet. Sure sounded good.......but .......yeck!! The rest of the meal was superb..steaks on the grill, crustless zucchini quiche(SP cookbook), green salad with homemade blue-cheese dressing(SP,too), mushroom/onions with butter...hmmm...but the dessert..yeck,yeck,yeck.

Today, as you know, is rather hot and dreary. Have my suit on and headed to the pool....Have a great day!.....

Carrot
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/160/150
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hiya guys! I live in Winter Springs. Nice weather here today!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 15:06

Stats: 240/228.5/185
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Orlando

Orlando here! It's funny when I see the workout and gym tv ads that say "get in shape for Summer" - it pretty much swimsuit and bikini weather year-round around here.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 15:28

Stats: 200/160/150
BF:
Progress: 80%

lljbo! So right. I love it when certain clothes go in and out of season up north. It is all the same all year long here. I was watching a show the other day where they were doing fashion do's and don't. Must say that Florida was all a don't. Stuff like, "People do NOT wear capri's unless it is summer!" I felt like laughing, everyone wear shorts and stuff all year!

I used to live in downtown Orlando, where about are you at?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 17:17

BF:
Default Dessert Disasters

Carrot!

I was sorry to hear that your dessert didn't come out well. Hopefully your guests were so dazzled by the rest of the mouth-watering meal that they didn't notice! That's where I have my problems, too. I can make the most scruptious meal, but when it comes to dessert, if it's low cal or carb, it comes out icky. Maybe I'll find something good on the sweets threads here.

I'll look for the Laura Richard book you recommended. It sounds interesting with help for stalls and the comparisons.

Induction is going OK. I'm on week 2. I lost 8 pounds the first week and I'm thrilled with that! My blood pressure is also down from 158/? to 126/70. Of course, my doctor had prescribed a new med the week before I started Atkins, but I like to think this WOE has something to do with it!

Induction has not been too hard - the protein keeps me satisfied and all the water keeps me from craving anything. I do miss fruits - apples, bananas, strawberries!!! Kiwis, tangerines, nectarines!! Ah, well, this too shall pass...

I've been on Weight Watchers (a few times), nothing really worked for me. I was eating mostly fruits and veggies, almost no meat and still I couldn't get the weight off or keep it off. When I was 15 I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and put on a diet much like this one. It makes me feel good and keeps my blood sugars in check.

Well, time to stop procrastinating and put on my Nikes and hit the road. I'm trying to maintain a 4 mile a day walk.

Have you started a journal? It's really helpful.

Take care -

Lori Jo
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 06:32

Stats: 240/228.5/185
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default hey Crazy

I am in Longwood. I used to live downtown on Amelia, but now I guess I am officially in the "boonies".
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 18:42

Plan: adkins/zone
Stats: 243/231/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46/36/26
Progress: 11%
Question help!

Hi there..
I live in Florida also.. I live in Apopka... several weeks back.. I posted asking for pen pals.. and maybe someone to go walking with or to the gym.. anything for exercise.. and support..
if interested .. please reply.. I dont have a problem with the WOE.. its not having anyone to do anything with.. hope we can meet..
Julie