Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/194/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Hi, newbie here with a question

Hello everyone! My name is Angie and here's some info on me:
At 24 yrs. old and 5"7 I currently weigh 210 lbs. and wear bet. a size 16-18. I have been struggling with my weight since high school. After graduating I weighed approx. 165 and wore a size 14. Soon after, I dieted and exercised like crazy to lose 35 lbs. I felt better than ever, but stress and depression helped my weight creep back up and then some! Since then I've tried every diet imaginable to no avail. I would lose some weight initially, but when I stopped it would all come back plus more . This past summer I did manage to lose 15 lbs., but the diet was too restrictive (less than 1000 calories/day), and since then I've gained it all back plus an add'l 10 lbs. I'm so frustrated!!
I had previously read the New Diet Revolution, but was skeptical about it, until I stumbled across this site. It has inspired me to give it a go, and I truly believe that this is the WOL for me! Today is my first day and I am very excited. Now, here's my question:
Would it be possible for me to lose 40 lbs. by X-Mas by LCing? I realize that this may seem extreme, but I am desperate to look better and feel good about myself during that time (especially when seeing family I haven't seen in a long time). I remember being 170, and even at that weight I still received many compliments because I tend to carry my weight pretty well (until now, that is!). I am young and healthy, so I'm hoping that these would be advantages in helping me to shed these lbs. quickly. I'm sorry for such a long post, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!
Oh, BTW, if I did it right, I've attached a pic of me at 130 (my goal). It's only an upper body shot, but it still helps to keep me motivated whenever I look at it .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 14:17

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default welcome

Hi and welcome. You're certainly very beautiful.

First off, I would suggest that slow and steady wins the race. Consider how long it took you to gain your extra weight, probably longer than 2 months. I know you want to look your best for Christmas, but 40 lbs. is really in my opinion a lot to try to lose by Christmas. I would think you could get a good start at it though.

I would also suggest that you start a journal in Bootcamp. It's always nice to look back at your own personal progress and also members enjoying hearing about the success stories of others.

Remember lowcarbing is not a diet...it's a way of life, a way you want to eat the rest of your life. We all know that once we stop dieting or eating wrong foods again that we'll gain the weight back.

Don't forget to drink lots of water, it's a very important part of any proper eating plan.

Good luck, post often and if you have questions, we'll all certainly try to help you the best we can.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 14:32

Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Re: Hi, newbie here with a question

Quote:
Originally posted by AngieH

Would it be possible for me to lose 40 lbs. by X-Mas by LCing? I realize that this may seem extreme, but I am desperate to look better and feel good about myself during that time (especially when seeing family I haven't seen in a long time).

Welcome Angie ...

I really like your picture, too. I see how you can be motivated by it ... you're beautiful!

I agree with Sharon ... concentrate on learning the wol and not so much on the time line. 40 pounds is a lot to lose in two months. I've been on Atkins since July 27 -- and have lost 33 pounds since then (40 since March). Some weeks it comes off faster, and others slower. I stalled for about 4 1/2 weeks, and I just had to wait it out, drink more water, etc.

I guess my point is ... be careful to set motivating goals that aren't going to sabatoge you. Don't let an unrealistic goal squelch your desire to start living LC. At the same time, don't be afraid to dream dreams.

There is a Christmas challenge going on in one of the forums here ... they have a 25 pound by Christmas goal ... first weigh in is tomorrow I think. You might try checking in with them, if you haven't already.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 14:45
Registered Member

BF:
Default thank you

Sharon/Wendy, I truly thank you on your compliments!! Also on your suggestions. I just sat down and calculated losing the 40 lbs. so fast, and you're right...unrealistic! But I am determined to lose this weight, no matter how long it takes me! I'm just glad that there are wonderful people out there I can turn to for advice along this new journey of mine!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 16:49

BF:
Progress:
Default good attitude

You're right, just set out to do the best you can, and you might be surprised. I agree that an unrealistic goal could be a setback for you, and that needen be.

Stop by often, if you haven't read any of the Success Stories, try to as these will also give you LOTS of motivation.

You can do this.. I know you can. (Don't worry about looking perfect at Christmas....just wait until summer beach weather, you'll knock dead then!).
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 18:44

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Angie! Welcome - Nice photo.

I tried a bunch of things before I found Atkins. Atkins worked for me when nothing else did. You will be pleased you decided to give it a go.

You certainly sound committed, and believe me, committment and Dr. A's plan is just about all you will need to reach your goal.

Happy lowcarbing, and stick around, this board is chockablock full of great recipes, advice and wisdom
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 13:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/230/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Hey Girl

Hi there, this is Sabrina and I havebeen trying to send you a private message, but it wont let me. I would really love to see your picture but I need some help. I have the aoltv, not a computer so what do I need to do to see it? When you replied to me you said you were a fellow michigander. Where abouts? Im from Flint. I to carry my weight very well its just the fact that I know its all there. I used to model when I was around 18-23, so when I show everyone my pictures they are in ahhhh. I still am very attractive, but I dont like wearing an 18. Now I'm 31 and have an underactive thyroid which I have had for a very long time which makes it harder for me to lose weight it seems. Maybe just my imagination. Anyways I seemed to have gotten sidetracked, I wanted to thank you for words of encouragement that you wrote to me. With both of our minds made up I know that we can be very successful and be some skinny drop dead gorgeous mommies. Can't wait to hear from you. Sabrina
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 14:37

BF:
Progress:
Default picture

Angie, where did your pic go??
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 20:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sabrina....I tried to send you a private message also, but I wasn't able to for some reason. I live in Sterling Heights. I don't have any children (I'm still single), but when I do I wanna be a hot "momma" too!! lol
I realize that I'm not just a hop, skip and a jump away from you, but who knows, maybe one day we can do lunch and laugh at all those miserable days we tried every diet imaginable! (Of course we'll both be much happier and healther then due to our new WOL .)
Oh, to answer both yours and Sharon's question, if you want to see my pic, here's a site where you can see it: www.angelicious77.freeservers.com
The pic on top is me at 130 lbs (my goal), and the one below it is me this past summer with 2 of my 3 brothers. As you can see in the more recent pic, I really do carry my weight well (that and half my lower half is hiding behind my brother!!). I've since gained some weight, due to the low-fat or practically no-fat diet I was on and just couldn't stick to .
Anyway, I just wanna say to hang in there and keep a smile on your face. You can do it....we all can. And don't get discouraged. We will be there for each other!!

Take care and God bless,
Angie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Cool wow

Angie,you are absolutely beautiful

Good Luck with your LC new WOL i know you can do it!!

I've been on it five days and i love it.

have a great weekend keep in touch.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 09:38

BF:

Hi Angie...... I got your response. This is Sabrina. Wow we are not far from one another at all. Great pictures girl! I think it would be great to someday have lunch. I would really like to send you private messages seeing how we are so close to one another. Any suggestions on how I can send you messages? P.S. I think your brothers deserve their props as well. Nice looking family. Waiting to hear from you. Sabrina
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 12:41
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sabrina,
Thanks for the compliment!! Very sweet. With regard to private messaging, I think the reason we can't access it is because we're still "new members". I believe that once we become "registered members" (after a certain # of posts, not sure), we can send private messages. However, if you'd like, you can send me an instant message via MSN messenger. Just look on my profile. And you can add me to your buddy list, that way we can chat whenever we're both on!!

Oh BTW, my brother to my left used to have a weight problem too. He was always heavy growing up and all throughout school. He has since lost the weight and started working out. Now he's a workout buff!! Only 3% body fat....yikes! He was even featured in a full-color ad in the Free press!! He's also a part-time model. So he helps me to keep focused and motivated. But no matter how much I gain, he always tells me how beautiful I am....isn't that sweet?!?! I hope you have loved ones who are just as supportive and encouraging.

GrrlPwer...I didn't forget about u!! Thank you as well for the compliment (I think I've gotten more compliments via this forum than ever before!!). You are also beautiful. Keep that smile on your face and happy LCing!!

Angie
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 20:08

BF:
Default Where are you

Hi angie just wondering how you are doing? Haven't heard from you so I just thought that I would check in to make sure things are still going good. Hope to hear from you soon sabrina
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 20:50
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sabrina,
I'm still here! And I'm still committed to this WOE, although the chocolate chip cookies in the lunch room at work today looked heavenly! But I had enough willpower to walk away immediately. Also, someone commented on my weight loss today! I thought that 10 lbs. isn't noticeable, but you'd be surprised.
I hope it's working for you. Whatever happens, don't give up! Just imagine how much money we'll make when we sell all our "big girl " clothes at a garage sale.

And no matter what, don't ever think that you're not beautiful bacause of your weight. Whenever I find myself thinking that, I just say to myself "Hey! I was beautiful then and I'm beautiful now. I'm beautiful because I'm ME!!" I hope that didn't sound too corny, but it works for me. You do what you gotta do to keep that smile on your face!

Have a great night.

Angie