Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/128/121
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Grrrrr

some support would be nice! excuse me while I let off some steam... feeling pretty good today, almost halfway there, and then I've just had 4 of my colleagues bagging me out completely. "don't you know this is going to cause liver failure" from one, "why don't you just have a few peices of candy" from another, and on and on it goes. thanks guys, a little support would go a long way...............
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 23:14

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Many of us have discovered that it's easier to keep our mouths shut, rather than put up with the opinions of the uninformed. You could always point them to our website and let them read the stories for themselves. There are so many testimonials to the success and good health enjoyed by LCers.

Ask them to cite their research sources.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 23:20
Registered Member

BF:

that's what I said! "how many of you have read the book" (whilst waving the book wildly in their faces). sheesh, I really really really wish I hadn't told anyone I was going on this WOL.

thanks so much for your support.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 23:45

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Liver failure? That's a new one! They usually go for the kidneys. My favorite though, is when they tell me that I'm just losing water weight. Can you imagine? 90 pounds of "water weight" I've lost! (My profile needs updating.) Wow. I sure was retaining.

I'm not confrontational enough to put up with it. I finally resorted to lying to the harassers and told them I slacked off. But I haven't. I just wanted them off my case. Some others here tell people they're diabetic. Shuts 'em right up. Or you can just say you've decided not to eat sugar and refined flour anymore. That's both honest and effective. Nobody really wants to defend sugar and white flour.

I hope you'll keep coming back to the forum to mingle with others in the same boat. I don't know anyone in my real off-line life who believes this may be more than an unhealthy fad diet. But since I found this forum I do not feel alone.

Allison
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 21:43

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default allison,

Quote:
Can you imagine? 90 pounds of "water weight" I've lost! (My profile needs updating.) Wow. I sure was retaining.

I absolutely love that one - it is my absolute fav.

I always get the one that once I go back to normal eating that I'll gain all the weight back --- I'm like to whose normal way of life? b/c this is my way of life?

Just blow it off...I laugh more than ever b/c their are so many know-it-alls out there that don't know a darn thing.

E
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 03:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/150
BF:
Progress:
Default had to laugh

90 lbs of water. wow you are retaining. Change your name also when you change your profile to Allison_Camel cuz joe_camel causes lung cancer so dont use that one.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 07:41

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

A few answers for those idiots:

Dr. Atkins has repeatedly challenged the medical world, on US national television, to produce EVEN ONE case of kidney or liver damage that has been caused by this way of eating. No answer thus far, because there AREN'T any. ( I saw this last year, live.)

This is different than the warning that people who already have kidney or liver problems should not go on his plan of eating.

When turning down candy, just say that you're trying to cut out refined sugars and starches. And, as you know, the reason we lose fat on this diet is chemical and even one bite of carbs/sugars/starches will hurt. It's NOT like low-cal, where a few extra calories aren't so important. Except that it will raise the blood sugar & insulin and then the person won't be able to stick with their diet.

Keep on keeping on and you will SHRINK!

BarB
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 12:56

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Wink I thought I had bad water retention!

What a riot!!

I haven't actually told many people exactly what I'm doing, but those that I have told are hard-core dieters as well, and thier philosophy so far has been "Whatever works for you". That and the fact that they are all RN's makes me think that the blowhards you work with just don't know diddly! Can't they see the difference?

I would try to ignore them. They will never agree with your WOL, and who cares? Let them poison thier bodies with sugar and refined flour and chemicals if they want. You'll have the last laugh eventually!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 14:50

Stats: 208.5/196/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default I did the same thing....

I'm kicking myself already--I wasn't going to say anything until somebody started to notice my weightloss, but I blurted out (at work), on maybe my 4th day, that I was doing Atkins.

One woman said "that gave my sister GOUT", and another said, "that's what made my mother so sick". Not the emphazema(sp?), and the strokes, I thought, but didn't respond. "That's so unhealthy", they kept going....

Right, as I admired their "fatitude"...I stop eating sugar, a known killer, and empty calories, and eat more vegies than usual, feel better and more have energy than I can ever remember--my husband asked what I did with the REAL Patty...it's SO unhealthy...unlike carrying around these 75 extra pounds...

Well, I'll just show 'em. Come Summer, when I turn FIFTY, I'll be a BABE...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 15:14

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default People are crazy...

Who among us hasn't experienced a similar reaction?

I remember when I mentioned to a woman in my office that I was going to buy some pork rinds to use as coating for fried chicken and that it was legal on the Atkins program. With so much concern (completely uninformed, of course) she sternly told me not to eat pork rinds at my weight and that I should only do Atkins briefly to take some immediate weight off.

Since that day I have lost 32 pounds and she now says I have inspired her to stop eating bread.

I agree with the previous posts--it's easy and sounds awfully good to simply say I've made the decision to cut our white flours and sugars. No one has fought me on that one yet.

People mean well (most of them) I think. Reminds me of when I saw my parents in December and I was having so much difficulty walking. "You must be hungry. Let us make you a pizza" they said immediately after registering fear and concern on their faces regarding my humungous gut.

Thank goodness we have each other for support.

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:07
Registered Member

BF:

thanks for all your support everyone. I'll show 'em.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:17

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Smile Nay sayers

Well, all I can say is the "low fat" people were eating tons of candy and cake at work the last few days. They seemed to have no control.

I and 2 others that are doing Low Carb. were able to ignor the sweets.

To me THAT says alot!

Dee
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:20

Plan: CALP
Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Re: People are crazy...

[QUOTE]she sternly told me not to eat pork rinds at my weight and that I should only do Atkins briefly to take some immediate weight off[QUOTE]

What would immediate weight be?????

You know what the one helpful thing people COULD say would be.."Please let me know how I can support your efforts."

Wouldn't that be beautiful?

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:27
Registered Member

BF:

Oh wouldn't it? how can I help support you? in a perfect world maybe........

still, my youngest daughter asked me this morning "whose baggy pants are you wearing mum?"

mine!!!! they've just never been baggy before. tempted to go shopping for some new 'non baggy' pants, but think I'll wait a few more kilos.........
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:28

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Smile Lucky

You are making me feel extremely lucky.

My immediate team mates have said exactly that "What can we do to help you."

Today I wore a dress to work. When I wore it two weeks ago it was snug, and I couldn't put my hands in the pockets easily. Today, I could put my hands in the pocket. Yes a Sunshine Moment. Well two people noticed and the next thing I new the two guys were whiseling <sp> and I received tons of atta-girl.

My manager's birthday was today and we took her to lunch. I told them that no matter where we went I could find something to eat. We did mexican food. I had a Chicken taco salad, without the beans and shell and picate sauce. They all thought it was cool.

Again, I feel extremely fortunate having them as team mates.

Dee