Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 12:16
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Crumble Topping

I've recently ordered some OAT FIBER to start experimenting with in my baked goods. Hoping it will give me some of the taste of flour without the carbs. Here are the stats on the back of the bag: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodV...EE0-4C8EBECEF-a

Today I made an apple crisp for my husband (who is NOT low carbing BTW) and man, it really did come out good! The topping tasted like it was really made with traditional flour, and virtually NO CARBS. The carbs are all in the apple. Next time I'll do blackberries or raspberries! DH really liked this! Here's a link to the recipe:

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...rumble-topping/

Next experiment, I'm going to add a little more water and chill an hour and see if I can roll this into a standard pie crust. Will let you know how that one comes out.

Last edited by Buttoni : Tue, Sep-14-10 at 12:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 13:23
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

You could probably do without chilling, and just press the mizture into the bottom/up the sides of a prepped pie plate. I've folled with something similar a bit, and gave up on the rolling part. It didn't end up being worth the extra trouble. Just my 2 cents though!

Oh - would it be possible for you to copy/paste the nutritional info? I don't have a fitday account (I use My PLAN here) and I can't view it
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 13:52

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Very interesting.. never heard of this.. Let me know how the chilling goes

Not OP but here is info..
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 13:53
Patience Personified

Thanks for the tip on not bothering to roll, Krystal. I'd have to add quite a bit more water to be able to do so and that might serve to only make the crust "tough".

Here's the nutritional info: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyp...ille/oat-fiber/
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 14:03
Patience Personified

I tell ya it gave such a nice flavor to the topping I'm going to be doing LOTS of experimenting with this stuff. I only ate a few bites of the crisp this morning, as I didn't want to blow my carbs, but this TOTALLY killed the CarbQuick taste! Tasted like I had used regular white flour. And I've not experienced cravings or hunger the rest of the day, either, which I worried this might cause. I'm tickled pink at stumbling on this product on the Honeyville site!

I also bought a bag of their CORN BRAN, which I plan on making into some sort of cornbread tonight, along with almond and hazelnut meal (I think). It is VERY low in carbs as well. Here's the info I can find on that product, which jives with what's on the back of my package from Honeyville:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...nd-pasta/5688/2
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 14:22
Patience Personified

Oh, BTW Krystal, I see you're in Corinth. OT but when hubby and I retired 10 years ago and started scouting places we might like to retire, Corinth, Athens and Temple were at the top of the list. I LOVE the Corinth area! So green and pretty on the piney, hilly side of the state! Main reason we landed here in Temple was it was about halfway between Dallas where his family lives, and San Antonio where my family is. Thought that would make life easier as our folks got older.

Last edited by Buttoni : Tue, Sep-14-10 at 19:08.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 14:53
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Nice! We always had apartments right where Grapevine, Lewisville, and Coppell meet - love that area, but the houses were a lot more than we could spend. I love it out here - a little further than would be ideal (Brandon works near the Galleria in Dallas and I'm not too far from that over by Northpark off of the tollway and Northwest Highway), but it's pretty, quiet, and country-ish. And the homes were much more reasonable - we're talking 100k less for the same size/year house. Can't beat it.

The bran fiber looks interesting - I'll have to do some reading on it. I made a peach crisp, and did the topping out of almond flour, pecan flour, cinnamon, Ideal Brown (which is NOT a sugar blend) and 2 tablespoons of steel cut oats..and butter, of course. It turned out really well, and was pretty low in carbs, but not as low as yours.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 19:07
Patience Personified

I SAW your recipe and pic for that! That's how I often do toppings for baked fruit. Mmmmmm.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 13:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

May I ask where you find Oat Fiber?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 14:10
Patience Personified

I ordered mine from honeyvillegrain.com.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 14:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thank you!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 16:19

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

~buttoni wow! I am very interested to know more about your findings with the corn and oat bran experiments especially with the holidays around the corner, I'm trying to get prepared. It would be very nice to have corn muffins for the holidays. Does it affect your weight or cravings at all? Thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 16:20

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

I'm thinking I could also use the corn bran to make a masa for tamales, do you think that would work?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-10, 12:50
Patience Personified

Well, so far, I've only tried a cornbread recipe with it and it just didn't have a very strong corn taste. In fact, the recipe came out tasting more like an almond CAKE! Had a golden color though. It so tasted like cake that I transformed it the next day into coffeecake!: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/berry-sauce/

Didn't bring on any cravings or hunger though, which was encouraging. So I'm going to keep on playing around with it, increasing the corn bran amount each baking until the result tastes like CORNBREAD (or I OD on the stuff, LOL).

Don't know about a masa application, because I don't do tamales from scratch. But I think it's a distinct possibility. I may try that one day....and you know I'll post my finding back here when I do.