Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 05:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Low Carb Recipes on MSN are a Farce... check out this article

This morning, I was doing my usual 10 minute glance on MSN and I noticed a link to Low Carb recipes. I was thinking this is cool and decided to check it out. What the you-know-what are these people thinking? Bread, potatoes, flour and sugar in these supposedly low carb breakfast recipes. Check out this shameful quasi low carb recipe link!

Maybe these recipes may be OK (I can find lots of ways on improving them) for maintainence but it is definately not for dieting? This MSN link is going to confuse A LOT of people.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 05:37

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

They're kidding right? Just goes to show that you have to educate yourself and not rely on the media or the general public.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:04

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I just was reading that and came running in here to see if anyone else saw it yet! Flour and potatoes on a low carb diet (WOE)?? I agree....somewhere down the road, in the latter stages of this WOE, these recipes might be adapted to suit a low carber. But anyone out there looking to start low carbing is going to be thrown off completely by these recipes. Unbelievable!!!!

http://houseandhome.msn.com/Food/Low-CarbBreakfast.aspx
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 10:17

Stats: 240/224/100 Female 4' 7"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I just created a new thread about that. Utterly shameful. And in this day and age with all of the information around, one would THINK they would do their research rather than spew inaccurate information to the masses. It merely makes me wonder about their accuracy as far as their other articles go.

Here is the link to my post. Not sure if anyone particularly cares what I had to say. LOL

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159405
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 11:46
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Don't forget not everyone is doing Atkins.

The hashbrown casserole recipe was 14 g of carbs per serving. Too much for me - especially in my post-holiday Induction. But for someone who is just cutting back on carbs it's not that outrageous. (My pre-Atkins carb totals averaged over 300 g per day!)

My friend is going the cutting-back route -- not giving up flour, potatoes, entirely -- and is having good luck. Albeit she is losing slowly, but that seems to work better for her lifestyle.

I think any effort people make to reduce carbs is great! Not everyone needs to lose weight or is willing/able to go down to 20 carbs or less.

Have a good day, everyone!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 11:59

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default I guess they see it as being relative...

Those recipes certainly aren't low carb for Atkins folks, not to mention that they are using fat-free products that also are not in keeping with our WOE (not to mention are just plain nasty).

However, I guess some of them are "low carb" or at least lower carb in comparison to their other recipes. I think it is just indicative that whoever is putting out those recipes in that magazine just doesn't understand our program or our needs but is trying to jump on the low carb bandwagon. They have obviously never read the book! I was actually looking for an e-mail address to give them some feedback about their recipes, but couldn't find one.

BTW, this is not the first time MSN has done this!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:09

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

OMG that is insane!! It seems like everyone is trying to jump on the low carb wagon these days without checking their facts!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:18

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Yes, it seems everyon is jumping onboard. I really don't consider Subways wraps low carb. The 11 or so carbs are over my carb allotment for lunch.

BTW Sandra- love your cute little dancing girl!

Cheers!
BrewWa
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:50

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Thank you BrewWa!