Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 05:49
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 146/126.1/120
BF:26.5
Progress: 77%
Default Veggies at breakfast?

Hi Y'all.

Haven't written in a while. Everything's great since I switched from Atkins to CAD a few months ago. I'm losing about a pound or so a week consistently.

I just read CALP, and I'm wondering what other people do for breakfast. I prefer to eat a small snack for breakfast rather than skipping altogether - usually just a hard boiled egg and a piece of cheese, or a low-carb muffin or bread of some kind (Atkins actually does provide some good recipes for these).

I was a little confused by the fact that the CALP book says you need to do 1/2 low-carb veggies and 1/2 protein at both CMs, however in their CM meal plans at the back of the book, in the breakfast section, they don't include veggies in most of the breakfast meals. This seems to me to be a contradiction. I'm not one to eat veggies for breakfast anyway, but it seems like I should be, since they tell you to (I'm the kind of person that likes to "follow the rules" ).

Any thoughts?

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 05:50

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default veggies

I only eat veggies for breakfast once in a while. I have the ability to eat a late breakfast, so it's not as strange for me to have a "brunch" style meal with broccoli w/cheese or even raw cabbage (I like it!). I keep cabbage around and just slice a hunk off (like a watermelon wedge) and eat it with whatever protein I'm having.

But NOT all days. Sometimes I only want the protien, and those days, that's what I have.

I also have lo-carb bread for breakfast at times. It makes for a nice diversion.

You said you liked some of the recipes for Atkins muffins or breads. Which ones? I'm having a hard time finding bread that I can make that actually tastes good. I've been buying mine (at a high price) from a health food store, and would much rather make my owne.

Thanks.

Wishing you continued good health and well being,

Jeannie
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 08:55
Registered Member

Default bread

Jeannie,

The best bread I have made so far is the zucchini bread. I believe it is in the Atkins New Diet Revolution book. If you don't have the book or can't find the recipe (maybe it's on their web site?), I will send it to you. It's not a sandwich bread, but it really is excellent.

The bread recipe on the Atkins Bake Mix package is not too bad either. I've also tried his Banana Nut Muffin mix. Even though the muffins are small, they're very tasty.

And last but not least, I found a low-carb sandwich bread on the Internet which is pretty decent. I don't remember the site I found it on, but I have a copy on my hard drive. If you want it I'll paste it in here for you.

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 09:40

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default Sounds good

Thanks much. I'll look in my Atkin's book and see if I can find this. I admit, I avoided Atkin's stuff because the two things I bought that were Atkin's mixes (a few years back) weren't good. It was some flour type substance that I used in other recipies, like meatballs. It made everything have a strange taste, so I threw it out!

I'll look on the web site too. My whole family is going lo-carb, so getting decent tasting and not too expensive bread is important. It keeps the kids from getting too bored with bacon and eggs every morning!

Jeannie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 10:53

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default mmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

My favorite breakfast is grilled Salmon with lemon pepper and steamed asparagus with a little bit of miracle whip. MMMM......

Libby
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: GO, formerly CAD, formerly Atkins
Stats: 160/155/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default breakfast

I also love the zucchini bread. It's great with a little cream cheese on it. I also like the CALP Cottage Cheese muffins--they're like popovers.

I'm confused about the suggested breakfasts, too, because they don't seem to follow the "rule" of 1/2 low-carb and 1/2 protein. I finally decided to use the menus as a guide. I also see a contradiction on the salad before the Reward Meal. Everyone says CAD doesn't require it, but the way I read it, it does. I like salads and I think they agree with me and my weight loss, but still...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 12:03
Registered Member

Mmmm. Cream cheese on the zucchini bread. I didn't think of that.

I think I'll go make some bread.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 20:04

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I like to slice Brussels sprouts or cut cabbage into 1 inch squares, and fry in butter. Good w/ a cheese omelet.

Also like celery w/ whipped cream cheese.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 12:23

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Thumbs up Perfect

Great thread! I just finished reading CALP and I was wondering about the veggies at breakfast, too! It's great to know it wasn't just me!

I am also confused about snacks. They mention snacks, but unless I overlooked it, they do not describe what they should be. If I am not really hungry at breakfast, can I just have a piece of string cheese or must it accompany a veggie? Or, vice versa. Can I just have a cucumber for a snack?

Since I am new to this, I am sure I will post other questions as I think of them.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Julie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 12:56
Registered Member

Default snacks

Hi Julie.

I agree that it is not totally clear what the actual balance of each CM should be, and breakfast seems to be particularly confusing for many people. Others have told me that they just have an omelet, or even some celery sticks with cream cheese for breakfast, or a slice of low-carb bread with butter. These are obviously not 1/2 veggie 1/2 protein meals.

I think the point is to just keep the carbs to under 4 per serving at the CMs. I sometimes will just eat a salad for lunch with no protein at all. I don't think it is a totally hard and fast rule. Even in the book the meal plan describes many breakfast meals that are not the correct balance.

Listen to your body - if you're losing weight and you are not craving carbs you are doing the right thing!

Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 16:16

Plan: CAD/Atkins/CALP
Stats: 265/176/150 Female 164 cms
BF:

Is Flaxseed allowed? I dont have my book as I lent it to a friend. While Atkinsing I used to make a bread type thing that I would eat. FULL of fibre and was not to bad to taste.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 17:37

BF:
Default Re: Perfect

Quote:
Originally posted by GatorGal93
snip

I am also confused about snacks. They mention snacks, but unless I overlooked it, they do not describe what they should be. If I am not really hungry at breakfast, can I just have a piece of string cheese or must it accompany a veggie? Or, vice versa. Can I just have a cucumber for a snack?

snip
Thank you in advance for your help,
Julie

Hi, Julie!

As I understand it, in the CAD book, they say that snacks should be just like a CM meal, only about half the amount of food. And yes, a snack should have both protein and LC veggies. But check the book again.....it's in there, I promise!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 17:42

BF:

According to my books, flaxseed is RM-only. Enjoy it then!