Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 07:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default "I Hate Vegetables!"

No, you hate vegetables you've tried so far, the way you've prepared them so far. When you've already cut high carb sources of fiber and phytonutrients out of your diet, refusing to eat vegetables really isn't a good idea. But if you don't like munching on celery and bland iceberg lettuce, don't panic. There are easier ways of getting your veggies in. There is hope: I used to "hate vegetables", too, so don't think I don't know where you're coming from! I grew up eating nothing but corn, peas and potatoes, so if I can convert, trust me, anyone can.

Vegetables taste totally different raw from cooked, plain (a la fat free dieting!) from accompanied by yummy butter, cheese and dressings. Try them several different ways before you write them off.

One of the easiest tricks is to remember that a lot of the "vegetables" are technically fruit, and taste a lot different from their green, stalky and leafy friends. Tomatoes are an obvious example; others include cucumbers, avocados, eggplant, olives, zucchini, pumpkin, and peppers. All of these are permitted even on Atkins induction.

If there are a few you don't mind, try to tuck them in wherever you can. A few mushrooms in an omelette or some tomato slices broiled with cheese... a little is always better than nothing.

Here are some of the most painless ways to get your veggies in:

Chili - make a beanless chili. All Meat Chili, Easy Chili, "SKYLINE" Cincinnati Chili Con Carne... there are more recipes if you do a search on "chili" in the Main Dishes forum. Watch the portioning for induction - some recipes contain a lot of concentrated tomato.

Soups and stews - Many, many recipes. Tomato, cream of just-about-anything, French onion, chowders, beef or chicken stews... Here's the table of contents for the Soups, Sauces and Appetizers forum.

Stuffed Veggies - Peppers stuffed with ground beef and cheese, mushrooms stuffed with sausage or bacon, Jalapeno Poppers

Guacamole - mash an avocado with some lemon juice. Add a little chopped onion and tomato if desired.

Salsa - buy a sugar-free salsa, or make your own. Great on eggs.

Pumpkin Bake - tastes like pumpkin pie, makes a nice breakfast.

Cole Slaw - Use Splenda instead of sugar in the dressing. Sauerkraut fits the bill, too.

Faux Applesauce or stewed apples - works really well with chayote squash and jicama - boil the jicama until soft.

"Fries" and "Hash Browns" - These can be made from radishes, daikon radish, zucchini, kohlrabi and jicama. They can be pan-fried or roasted. Try mixing them to lighten the flavour of any single vegetable. See the link below for specific recipes.

Sugar-free Pickles

Spaghetti Squash - has almost no flavour on its own; terrific served up any way you'd normally serve pasta. Alfredo with parmesan cheese is popular.

Cauliflower - One of the most popular concepts in low-carb eating is using cauliflower as substitute for potatoes in "potato" salad, mashed "potatoes", and faux rice. Try this, using lots of toppings like bacon and sour cream. The cauliflower taste and texture will seem different at first, but you'll probably get used to it.

There are many more ideas in the Salads, Veggies and Side Dishes forum.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Sep-14-05 at 08:09.
Sponsored Links