Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 13:38
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default School Project

I am working on a project for school right now and want to enlist some help. I am trying to assess what makes for longterm successful weightloss. I have created a survey for those people that have lost 50 or more lbs and kept it off for more then 5 years. If anyone is interested in helping me out send me a PM.
Thanks everyone and i'll let you know what I find out.

Last edited by Karen : Thu, May-27-04 at 09:02. Reason: Removal of email address
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 13:46
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkonzelman
I am working on a project for school right now and want to enlist some help. I am trying to assess what makes for longterm successful weightloss. I have created a survey for those people that have lost 50 or more lbs and kept it off for more then 5 years. If anyone is interested in helping me out my email address is lkonzelman~hotmail.com

Thanks everyone and i'll let you know what I find out.

I sent you an email. I haven't kept it off for 5 years but I have been successful. Feel free to send survey if you want.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 05:45
The evolution of me

BF:

AFwife -

I thank you so much for sharing with me!

XOXO
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 05:52
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hey Lisa,
Love to help you out, but only have 1.5 years under the belt so far

Good luck with the project.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 08:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

sorry, can't help either - only 4 years for me - and I haven't managed to keep it all off
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 08:26
The evolution of me

BF:

Thanks anyway....

I am trying to come up some commonalities for us common folk!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:35

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Soooo....

What are some of your successes? C'mon, I have done this for a year and I am struggling....

Tellustellustellus!!!

Mary
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:06
The evolution of me

BF:

You just made me smile!

I actually have kept off over 50lbs for over 5 years which is why I guess I am so interested in responses to my survey.

For me, it is about the big variety of foods available so that I do truly enjoying eating everyday. I don't want to cheat often because I look forward to foods that I truly love. I get bored so quick.

Also, the past ten years of previously being hungry and deprived made me so glad not to have to count calories ever again. I love real butter and real salad dressings and cheese and begrudgingly I admit LC breads and LC ice creams.

Regarding exercise: I am actually up about 7lbs from my lowest weight on Atkins which was I believe was about 160 (for a day) but I am actually still very comfortable in my size 10's - they are getting a little big in fact. ;-) This is hardest for me to be consistant with - but making the biggest change in my own self image it is what I really push myself to continue.

So my answer would be WAY OF LIFE thinking. This is not just a diet to me. When I cheat, I usually cheat with too many sugar alcohols OR lower glycemic foods. This is how I eat and live.

Oh... I measure success in sizes not lbs too which is a big obstacle to overcome mentally!

It is sometimes very hard to stay focused but it is the one thing that I truly do for myself and by myself and this fills me with pride.

Thanks for asking.

FYI - YOU CAN DO THIS!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 08:54

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sounds good!

I think you may be right on, when you say we have to change our ways of staring at a scale, and try to do it by our clothes size.

And I think I have to just pay a little attention to my food. I have to think-- is this good for me?? Will my body benefit from this food?? Instead of rewarding myself with food, when I am having a bad day , I can reward myself with something else, like clothes (even socks bring me joy!), or a book (need Atkins for Life), etc.

Thanks for your info, lk!

Mary