Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 22:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

That's just crazy that the lady would be taking diabetes meds and EXTRA insulin to go buy and eat half price candy....crazy!

Someone older told me once that back in the old days they didn't have cereal in a box and if you think about it, it's just a concoction to sell livestock feed for human consumption.
We've all been sold a bad bill of goods that this stuff in a box is edible...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 05:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
That's just crazy that the lady would be taking diabetes meds and EXTRA insulin to go buy and eat half price candy....crazy!

If her diabetes was diagnosed pre-2010, it's a good bet that she was told by a diabetes educator that it's okay to eat sugar and just "cover it" with extra insulin. I remember reading that very thing at the official ADA website!

Currently, they still say it's okay to eat sugar and sweets "once in a while" if it fits into their diet plan .. just cut back on other carbs in the meal in order to make it fit.
Quote:
For many people, having about 45 to 60 grams at meals is about right. Serving sizes make a difference. To include sweets in your meal, you can cut back on the other carb-containing foods at the same meal. - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...d-desserts.html
Hold the salad and broccoli ... bring on the pecan pie!

No wonder people are confused .. and getting sicker
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 06:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I was on a non-nutrition related forum, mentioned low carb for diabetes, and half the people were all "Of course! What is this, the Dark Ages?" And the other half were all "MY doctor/the ADA/nutritionist said healthy carbs at every meal!"

A friend's father embraced low carb and got great numbers at the doctor's office. They said, "Keep it up" and passed him to the nutritionist. Who told him he wasn't eating "enough carbs."

Fortunately, he feels so good he's not about to fall for that, but a lot of people just get confused and give up.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 06:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I like this bit from Doreen's link;

Quote:
The myth that sugar causes diabetes is commonly accepted by many people. This is a complicated issue. Eating sugar has nothing to do with developing type 1 diabetes. Type 1 is caused by genetics and other unknown factors that trigger the disease.

I just did a search for "sucrose type I diabetes" on PubMed. 140 items came up, but from what I could tell from the titles, only two had anything to do with the development of type I, and those both did see a correlation--nothing conclusive, you can only get so much from epidemiology, but one showed a relative risk of 1.7 for higher vs. lower sucrose take and type I--similar or weaker associations of saturated fat intake to various diseases was enough to launch a war against fat that's lasted since the 70s.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 11:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

In the meantime, Gary Taubes wrote The Case Against Sugar which is a pile of research suggesting it has a LOT to do with diabetes type II.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 12:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljohnw
A week ago I was picking up my heart medication at my local Kroger's and in front of my was a person picking up her insulin and diabetes meds. She had in her cart half price Valentine's candy for at least $30 worse.. Having a big mouth I asked her if she would have some of those candies with her diabetes. She told my that she just upped her insulin before eating them.

Please, please don't do that again. Would you like it if someone asked if you want a heart attack with your steak?
Also, you had no idea what her those for her or her husband or friends.....and honestly, that is just a shItty thing to say. Mind your business.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

It is sort of a form of art. I don't think anyone would want to eat confetti pop tarts as nachos. As food its completely unappealing.

Growing up we only had a few healthy choices for breakfast. It left me with a weird fetish for 1970s breakfast foods. My friends would get Taco Bell to munch while we watched a movie and I'd be noshing on their Captain Crunch.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-18, 08:11

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
If her diabetes was diagnosed pre-2010, it's a good bet that she was told by a diabetes educator that it's okay to eat sugar and just "cover it" with extra insulin. I remember reading that very thing at the official ADA website!

I was diagnosed in 2008. Type 2. Not on insulin. I was given a sheet with an 1800 calorie "carb control" diet. 5-15gm portions of carb per MEAL, (75gm of carb) plus 2 snacks of 15gm of carb each. Grand total.......255 gm of carb per day. Needless to say, I do not follow that diet.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-06-21, 10:10

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

No temptation, there.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-06-21, 12:44

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Most Pop Tart flavors I'm not too wild about. The cherry and strawberry aren't bad. But I absolutely LOVE the chocolate fudge ones. Would usually eat four or six pastries at one setting.

No, I don't think Kellogg's is evil. They are marketing products that people want because, to lots of people, they taste wonderful. I don't know to what degree Kellogg's, as a company, knows that sugar is addictive to many people and are relying on it. Alcohol is addictive to many people, so are the beer companies evil for making and marketing beer to people that enjoy beer?

When I was diagnosed with Type II in 2005, I was given the standard ADA diet which included well over 200 g of carbs including things like white rice, of all things. I was also told that diabetes is invariably a progressive disease that would eventually require insulin, but was also told that the silver lining at that point was that I could adjust my insulin intake to match whatever food I consumed.

Since I had already had prior success, back in 2002, on low carb and had read what several low carb books had to say about Type II diabetes, I immediately threw all of that professional advice right out the window and started low carb again. Had the expected great results -- and then couldn't make it stick and fell off the wagon.

Staying low carb, especially for a sugar addict, is very hard. None of the LC books acknowledge or address that. They all try to paint this rosy picture that all you have to do is follow their very simple rules and eat food that you love and life will be just peachy. Well, that works great for selling lots of books, but doesn't do a damn for solving the problem that hardcore sugar addicts actually face.

As for the Pop Tarts thing -- making tacos and other stuff out of them just sounds stupid. What's the point? I don't want a taco to taste like pastry and I don't want a pastry to taste like a taco. Call me weird. But would I still love the taste of a chocolate fudge Pop Tart? Oh, yeah! And I don't dare take even one bite.

Last edited by wbahn : Fri, May-07-21 at 07:49.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-07-21, 07:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Lol, loved the cinnamon filled variety.
I stopped buying long ago.. my kids never had one served in my house.

There is a lc remake....not tried it. Slippery slope there.

But dang the cinnamon were sooooo goooood.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-07-21, 13:26

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I do believe it’s evil to send company employees to testify against lc doctors like Gary Fettke, to have their licenses revoked because our message is costing that industry money. I can’t share a link on my phone but you can go to YouTube and watch DietDoctor Podcast #30, which describes the corruption involved. The entire video is good but the relevant section starts at minute 17:32. They went after Tim Noakes as well, IIRC.