Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/185.7/147 Female 163
BF:
Progress:
Smile Newby here

Hello everyone, I am new on this site, I hope I will get lots of information and support from you all. I am in England.
I have just done the first week on Atkins and lost 8lb so I am happy with that.
I do go on the Atkins forurm but find some people quiet sarcastic on there.
I am still having trouble getting my head around counting carb and the difference between the US ones and ours but I am sure you will all help me out over the coming months.
Look forward to hearing all your advise and welcome your support
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 12:56

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Tessica!

Welcome to the board from another Brit!

I find our way of listing carbs on nutrition labels easier than the USA method, as our labels don't even count fibre as being a carb at all, so our "total carbs" are the same as US "net carbs", so no maths to do for us.

Whereabouts are you? I am in Dorset.
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-12, 12:23

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Think it might be time for me to print off this list again and do some strict induction. I can't remember the last time I did Induction "by the book"...no almonds, limiting my cheese and dairy, etc.

Think it might be time to start anew.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-12, 17:55

Stats: 178/175/158 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress:

I'm new too. What about popcorn? Is it a total no no? Thanks.
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-12, 19:43

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hi Tessica, and greetings from "the Colonies"! Welcome also Luluasst! I hope you both find this a helpful and supportive site -- I know I sure did, which is why I still hang around. It's payback time for me.

Lulu, yes until you get to the grain level, I'm afraid that popcorn is not on the acceptable list and even then it's on the YMMV list (Your Mileage May Vary) meaning that some can handle it in small portions without problems, and for others it promotes binges, or cravings, or weight gain. As you can see from that, nearing maintenance becomes a "work in progress" and a lot of experimentation!

I wish you both total success on your journey to a healthier, and slimmer future!
  #126   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-12, 11:34

Stats: 178/175/158 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Glenda
  #127   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-12, 02:07

Stats: 167/160/136 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi I'm a new member, type 1 diabetes, and on low carb for 6 weeks and blood glucose concentration never been this stable!
A question - Hellman's Real Mayonnaise lists its third and fourth ingredients as whole eggs and egg yolks but the label says 0g protein?? does this make sense to anyone?
  #128   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-12, 03:13

BF:

Remember that if any nutrition value amounts to less than 0.5 grams it can legally be claimed to be zero - so there could be 0.49 grams of protein in one serving of it.

Our UK version of Hellmans Real Mayo has 1.1 grams of protein per 100 grams (which is about 7 flat Tablespoons of it).

Thus making each T only 0.15 grams of protein, which would allow a label to claim zero for up to 3 Tablespoons of it.

Now 4 T would add up to 0.6 grams protein, so a label using 4T as a serving size would have to list <1 grams in countries which list serving sizes rather than "per 100 grams/mls" on their nutrition labels.
  #129   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-12, 15:12

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 200.4/195.5/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Joining in

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70
Think it might be time for me to print off this list again and do some strict induction. I can't remember the last time I did Induction "by the book"...no almonds, limiting my cheese and dairy, etc.

Think it might be time to start anew.

I'm going to do the same. I got sloppy and self-indulgent, and now I need to do this again in earnest. I'm glad there's another in my boat!
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 03:32

BF:
Progress:
Default Spinach and other inconsistencies!!

In 6 weeks of Low carb using Atkins as a guide, I have come across so many inconsistencies!! The one I don't get is we are admonished not to cut down on fat if living on less tha 20g carbs a day but then also told to limit avo, olives, spinach????? (that's very odd) etc. So really you do have to count calories is the bottom line in addition to cutting carbs? An aside .... As we are a global village I really wish we could standardise measures, so confusing!! What is wrong with the metric system?????
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 06:31

BF:

I feel for you on the measures issue, but unfortunately authors of diet books tend to use whatever measurements they are comfortable with, and Dr Atkins chose "cups" as his!

Over here in the UK those are a weird way to measure solid foods but you can get hold of the measurng cups in most cook shops and large supermarkets, so it is not too much of a problem.

There is a chart that shows how many grams of most foods equals a serving, which I found very useful. I will see if I can find a link to it for you.

http://freepdfhosting.com/ecae649ac3.pdf

As to the limit on olives and avocado, Dr Atkins wrote that he had found that many of his patients had difficulty losing if they exceeded the limits, which is why he gave us them. It might be that your body can lose weight while eating. ore, the only way to tell would be to try it and see.
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 12:30

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for this! I guess a bit of mayonnaise with tne eggs is OK then!
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 12:35

BF:
Progress:

Thank you, I think you are right, it is a case of trial and error! The day I drank 3 glasses of wine and about 30 almonds was the day my scale said I was down 1.5 kgs the next morning!! I chose a very big cup, i see the dont really mean a beer mug here! Haha
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 13:26
Registered Member

Stats: 265/265/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for putting this up, Karen. I've recently learned I may have sleep apnea and so am coming back to Atkins to lose my excess weight. I'm 45 now, and I can't afford to mess around with my health. :-)
  #135   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 14:42

Stats: 167/167/123 Female 63 ins
BF:
Progress:

Please help, I am so confused. What type of mayo? 0 carbs? I bought olive oil mayo reg fat and just realized it has 2 carbs per serving. Why is this so difficult? Thanks so much.