Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-21, 22:03

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Default IF and Ketones Question

Hello, I recently bought a Ketoscan brand breath analyzer. I have had fun checking for connections between what/when I eat and the readings. Now, before I go further, I haven't had one moment of dizziness or nausea, or any other problems. I did have very painful leg cramps last night but of course, the pickle juice hero did the trick. That being said, is a reading of 10 on the scale a sign that the meter is less than accurate? Or I'm just making a lot of ketones? I had a massive lunch that likely came in under 10g carbs yesterday and I didn't eat again until about 8:30 tonight. The reading was probably around 10:00 this morning. I blew 6.6 last night before bed.
So, is it the meter or me? If 10 isn't healthy, how do I minimize it w/o stopping my fast?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-21, 06:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It wouldn't be strange for the higher ketones to happen around when the leg cramps or other electrolyte issues happen, but I don't think that the one would cause the other. Both will happen probably when insulin and other hormone levels are low or otherwise different due to the fast. I find just being proactive, using half and half potassium/sodium salt and taking magnesium helps. Even when I'm just eating a lot of eggs, that will make it more likely that I'll get leg cramps, I use the half and half salt in my coffee, small bits enhance the flavour without making it taste really salty.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-21, 12:45

So you don't think a 10 on a breath meter is too unusual? I just mentioned the cramps as an effort to be thorough,regarding any symptoms of ketones being higher than is healthy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-21, 09:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There are threads discussing how, as our body adapts to using ketones, the numbers go down and it's a good thing, then.

This has a video:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/keto-ada...e-burn-fat-fuel
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-21, 09:55

Thanks. I don’t have any bad symptoms so I actually wonder if the meter’s crap.