Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-15, 08:59

Plan: Ketogenic with IF
Stats: 126/119/112 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Elevated Heart Rate during Steady State?

Hey Guys, I'm relatively new to the forum so forgive me if this has already been asked & answered (I did attempt to search). I'm fairly new to LCHF, really only buckling down to ketogenic this past week but I noticed this morning on my run that I couldn't keep my heart rate below 140. I'm an endurance athlete following the Maffetone Method so I do all of my long training sessions (anything in excess of 2 hours) in a heart rate zone between 130-140 (optimal being 135) but today my average was 142, even after stopping several times to let it come back down. I was running very slow to even keep it in the low 140's; the temperatures outside were relatively cool considering I'm in a desert, I had plenty of water & I had taken salt tabs prior to running.

I also kept feeling like my heart was racing/fluttering, if that makes sense. On Thursday my heart rate started off elevated but I was able to bring it down for an overall average of 138 for the 2 hour duration but today I was getting so frustrated that at mile 2 I just threw in the towel & went home. My energy seemed fine, it was more the heart fluttering & increasing heart rate that really just annoyed me so if someone can shed some light on this, perhaps provide preventative tips, I'd really appreciate it. I have a 100k ride tomorrow that I really would like to feel good for!!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-15, 09:00

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

For me, that is a sign of overtraining and a time to call in for a rest day. Also make sure your electrolytes are adjusted for ketogenic. You need more sodium than you would normally, in my experience.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-15, 10:12

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

How about more Magnesium to replace what you are loosing on LCHF?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-15, 11:57

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

You might want to read about Endurance Athletics and low carb by Mark Sisson. How fat adapted are you, and how many hours a week do you exercise? (not familiar with Mafetone). Sisson was an endurance athlete who's been on the cover of Runner's World and knows about running.

Also Volek on athletics and ketosis.

I wonder you're using up glucose energy faster than you can replace it with protein, fat, and ketones. For me running out of glycogen and glucose starts a stress fight-or-flight cascade (adrenaline and heart raising). Just a thought.

Short answer - tweak your fuel? Tweak your rest and exercise while you adapt. Sissons says its worth it to find out how to tune for YOU and YOUR needs. "PB" means his Primal Blueprint guidance.

Quote:
On a PB-style low carb diet, with PB-style low training time, the body makes 200 grams of glycogen each day from fats and protein (and then we figure another 100 or so from your veggies and fruits). That gives you enough glycogen to fuel your brain, cruise through an average day and to be able to do a short hard workout – and then do it again the next day. However, when you train long every day (over an hour), your carb needs will increase. The key is discovering EXACTLY how many additional carb grams you need each day to refuel muscles, but also to keep insulin and fat storage to a minimum. Too few and you won’t recover from day-to-day. Too many and you’ll set yourself up for inflammation and unnecessary weight-gain.
Post Race Beer

... Depending on the length and intensity of your workouts (and races) you’ll need anywhere between 60-100 extra grams of carbs (beyond what we discuss above on a low carb plan) each day per hour of intense endurance work. It’s well worth the trial and error efforts to gauge your personal need and dial it in precisely.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prim.../#ixzz3gvY6Nw7i

Last edited by Seejay : Sat, Jul-25-15 at 12:08.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 10:26

BF:

Thank you for all of the great responses! Does anyone know exactly how much Magnesium I should be supplementing with? Also, I will look into Sisson and Volek, both of which I am roughly familiar with but have not thoroughly researched their ideas or *training*. I will try to find their books.

An update on how my 100k ride went, I ended up only doing 50k, not because of my heart rate but bc the wind was just relentless. In Vegas, we somehow manage headwinds in all directions & I just wasn't in the mood! Plus I was riding on a loaner seat which hadn't been placed correctly so my knee was hitting my elbow in the aero position, not good! I am happy to report that at least my energy was decent considering my monthly is schedule to arrive today/tomorrow & I didn't sleep well last night!

Again thanks for the great feedback!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 14:30

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Well congrats on the 50k. That is awesome with the headwinds and equipment awkwardness, LOL. I sure wouldn't want another 50k in those conditions.

Haven't seen rules of thumb for magnesium other than what all the various low carb writers advise in their books, sorry.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 08:37

BF:

Thanks Seejay!! Books are my top priority today!!