Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 02:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%
Default Csiro

There have been various threads about this story, but as I have only just looked into it in any detail, and because I just feel like letting off steam......

I had a bit of spare time this afternoon so I thought I would check out one of the "good news" stories about low carb that just occaisionally surface in the media. So I went to the CSIRO site, I checked out their "new" diet that they are now promoting - and I have to say it is the most depressing thing I have read for some time.

1. They compared a low fat low protein high carb diet with their new low fat, higher protein and slightly lower (but still high) carb diet. The extra protein comes from lean meat.

- What particular scientific reason did they have to choose this particular new diet? They cheerfully acknowledge that it was because they were sponsored to do so by Meat and Livestock Australia!

2. They concluded on the basis of a study of a group of just 120 women over only 12 weeks, that this was now the best diet for all Australians, and you can download the whole thing off their website for free. Well at least the price is right.

3. The chief CSIRO dietician Dr Manny Noakes says in her interview with Sally Loane on ABC radio, that this is a "safe and sensible diet" and then goes on to make various disparaging remarks about the "extreme" diets of Atkins and to a lesser extent Barry Sears. She said they had done some research into these - "but we haven't analysed the data yet". This interview went to air over 12 months ago - the silence is deafening.

4. She went on to talk about fats, and after agreeing with Loane that Atkins was all about eating as much fat, eggs and meat as you can lay your hands on - she went on to dismiss a caller's question about the so called French paradox by saying "the French never eat large meals." - This after lauding CSIRO research as being based on "sound evidence, not conjecture".

Should you be waiting for a more balanced study of how a low carb, adequate protein with yes, also some healthy fats type diet stacks up against the new CSIRO diet for Australia - don't hold your breath. The CSIRO may just have to run it past another of their major sponsors Goodman Fielder (you can click on the link from the CSIRO home page). As you may know, Goodman Fielder is the parent company of such fine low carb outfits as Uncle Toby's and Pampas Pastry not to mention those really healthy trans fatty acids from its Meadow Lea subsidiary.

So there you have it. Our finest independent scientific organization favours a low carb diet? If only one word of that sentence was true.

Hmm after that rant, I hope you all have a fine low carbing weekend.

Malcolm

Last edited by mcsblues : Wed, Mar-17-04 at 18:18.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

If you want a copy of the diet ring them and they will send a book out free of charge.