Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/194/176 Male 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Closest thing to bread for five months ...

Hi All,
Tonight I made the cheese and bacon muffins from the FibreX site..(empower.com)..I stuck to the recipe but used my own mixed 'FibreX' for which I thank Casval..I made six from the mixture instead of twelve with a small slice of cheese on top and sprinkled with garlic salt and i cooked them a bit longer ..(2 carbs each)...Like I said in the header,almost bread ...... ......I tried the three Empower sauces too over the last few days and I think they are ok ..Need something to chew on ..???.. Try a teaspoon of shredded coconut, it cleans the palet and nothing in it ..
Take care everyone ....John....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm glad you were able to make something out of that mix that I "borrowed" from empower foods Thanks for sharing your recipe. I will have to try this too. It sounds delicious.

I asked at my local health food store for thoe empower sauces. They said they're going to order them in. So hopefully, I'll be trying the out over the weekend. I'm missing my tomato sauce.

Greg
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 00:59
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Today I bought the Empower tomato sauce and satay sauce. I think the tomato sauce tastes great... it has a nice tang to it but a little sweet....although everything tastes too sweet to me these days. Will be trying the satay sauce in the next week hopefully.
On the subject of the Fibre X cereal, even though I mix my own, I couldn't get the cost down much lower than what they charge. Mine works out to about $9.75 for the equivalent amount. What do you guys pay for the whey protein concentrate and is it the same as isolate?

Zedgirl
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 01:20
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I haven't calculated the costs of it yet. But I think you get far more for what mixing your own though.

My WPI is very pure, is about 0.5g of carbs per serve or per 100g, can't remember. It's from Balance Technology, costs $64 for 1.5kg or $144 for 4kg. This is plain unflavoured WPI.

c
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:33
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%
Default cheese and bacon muffins - they are like bread!

Voodaloo,

You’re right about those cheese and bacon muffins…they are like bread! I just made a small test batch using my own FibreX mixture and thought they were fantastic. Next time I’ll put some cheese on top like you did and maybe some garlic salt as well….or even some Italian herb mix…that’s what I sprinkle over my microwaved parmesan cheese and it tastes fantastic. I cooked my bacon first though before adding it to the mix…chopped it up and put it in the oven for 20 minutes ‘til it was nice and crispy.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 04:46

Stats: 197/182/150 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress:

Could someone please point me in the direction of this recipe. It sounds wonderful.

Jo in Perth
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 05:07
Registered Member

BF:

To zedgirl and JoP..
Read down the ..Had BIG craving ..thread. BUT,be warned,this recipie is very addictive .....John.....
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 20:32
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 184/174/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Unhappy

Well I went looking for the bacon and cheese muffin recipe but cannot find the thread. Could someone please steer me with more directions? TIA, Jean
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 20:35
Registered Member

BF:

hi Jean ...Try www.empowerfoods.com.au ...John
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 04:40

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Hi there, thanks for posting this review!

The taste of Fibre X as cereal is bad enough to make me want to puke.. urghh, I was traumatised! So I've been planning for a while to use it up by making muffins, but was a bit worried about how they would turn out.

I'd be interested to know how well they keep, except you've only made 6 and buy the sounds of this review they won't last long! lol!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:31

Stats: 110/97/90 Female 170
BF:
Progress:

hi voodaloo and others,

i had tried having the fiberx as a cereal & i just cant get use to the taste (my ex-cereals were crunchy nuts, honey oats & mueslis!)

i would love to try the empower recipe using a microwave as i dont have an oven... do you think that would work? any tips and feedback would be much appreciated! thanks
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 02:13

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I liked the taste of the fibrex cereal, but I also loved LSA (almost put a d instead of an A LOL). I made up the cereal like they said on the box using hot water (almost boiling) but it didn't thicken up so I put it in the microwave for a short time. Then I stirred in cream and a sprinkle of splenda

I don't know about cooking the other recipes in the microwave, you could try and let us know.

cheryl
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 09:46

Stats: 110/97/90 Female 170
BF:
Progress:

hi cheryaust and others,

ok i'd tried baking fibrex with my microwave and yesss it works! i made some choco bread and they were absolutely heavenly (texture is kinda like bodhi's bread)! the best part is, it took me only 2 mins to prepare to 2.5 mins to nuke it in the microwave no way am i ever eating fibrex as a cereal ever again!

the entire bread looks like 3 slices of normal bread slices. but i ate the entire thing all by myself *rubs happy tummy*

ingredients:
50g FibreX
1/4 Tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp unsweetened baking cocoa powder
4 Tbsp Splenda (or to your taste)
1 Tbsp Double Cream
2 eggs
20g melted butter
enough water (very little!) to mix above into a thick pourable consistency

steps:
1. mix all ingredients together (i used a blender but hand will be fine) and add a little water at a time until the ingredients turns into a normal cake pourable mixture (not too watery)
2. line a microwavable lunchbox (to save on washing and ease of removing the bread later) with gladwrap and pour in the mixture
3. nuke for 2.5 - 3 mins in microwave

i melted 2 blocks of cadbury's lite chocolates and spread over the entire mini "bread" and it was mucho-yumbo!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 22:12
Registered Member

Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

mb99
I love the fibrex cereal
I put 1/2 cup in a dish add about 1/2 cup of boiling water and it thickens.
Add 4 splenda tablets and a tablespoon of cream. I also add 1/3 cup of blueberries or strawberries if I want some fruit. You could add some chopped nuts to it.
I also make pancakes with the cereal mix.
I also add a bit more water and use the mixture as a batter for fish or chicken.
You can find the recipe on the empower site.
I love the bacon and cheese muffins and was wondering how it would go as bread and I see some of you have done it. Thanks I will do that this week and also try it as a pizza base.
Cheers Delia
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 06:30
Registered Member

BF:

NEVADA MUDCAKE.........................Many thanks to dietcoke for your receipe...The first time I made it I nuked it for 4 minutes and it turned out a bit chewy...The second time, I followed instructions and it was great.I also melted 6 little squares of lite chocolate and one square of 70% chocolate and iced the top. A teaspoon of Splenda sprinkled over the top was the crowning glory ...I managed to make it last for two days and enjoyed every mouthfull...
Thanks again babe......Take care ......John......