Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 14:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Eggs

Since starting low carb, it seems like I am always boiling eggs. Now here's the problem, some days the shells just slip off the eggs with no problem. Other days it is like someone superglued the shells to the whites.
My usual egg boiling routine.
Put 18 or so eggs in a pot. Add cold water to cover.Bring water to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 20 minutes. Pour off the hot water, swirl eggs around in pan so they crack, run cold water over them. Peel under running cold water.
Is there a problem with my method? Or is there some secret invocation to a hen goddess that I'm not aware of?
Help please!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Have followed Atkins, but sorta modified to me. More vegetables
Stats: 174/150/130
BF:
Progress: 55%

I'm not sure it works, but my momma and grandma always said to salt the water before you put the eggs in. So I add some salt to the water and they peel easily, also I only peel what I'm eating at the time. I refridgerate the rest. Hope it helps.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 15:56

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%
Default Older eggs

Also, very new eggs will always be more difficult to shell. I have always been told by my wise elders that you should buy a carton of eggs and let them sit in your fridge for at least 2 weeks before you boil them. They will peel much much better, and they are fine, 2 weeks will not harm them whatsoever.
Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 16:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

from The Canadian Egg Marketing Agency .. there's a whole slew of basic tips for cooking and storing eggs, including cooking in the shell. Here's some of their pointers about hard-cooked eggs
Quote:
COLD WATER METHOD
Place eggs in a pot and cover with cold water to a depth of one inch (2.5 cm) over the top of the eggs. Bring just to boiling then remove from heat to prevent further boiling. Let eggs stand in hot water until cooked as desired: 2 to 5 minutes for soft-cooked, 20 to 25 minutes for hard-cooked.

Cool soft-cooked eggs for a few seconds in cold water to stop further cooking. Cool hard-cooked eggs immediately and thoroughly in cold running water for 2 minutes. (This helps eggs to peel more easily and prevents a green ring from forming around the yolk.)

HOT WATER METHOD
Lower eggs in a pot of boiling water (water should cover eggs by one inch, 2.5 cm) and remove pot from heat. Cover tightly and let stand until eggs are cooked as desired: 6 to 8 minutes for soft-cooked and 20 to 25 minutes for hard cooked.

Cool soft-cooked eggs for a few seconds in cold water to stop further cooking. Cool hard-cooked eggs immediately and thoroughly in cold running water for 2 minutes. (This helps eggs to peel more easily and prevents a green ring from forming around the yolk.)

TIPS
  • Eggs cooked in the shell are commonly referred to as "boiled", but should never be boiled. Cooking at high temperatures or for too long at any temperature causes hard-cooked eggs with tough, rubbery egg whites and dark rings around the yolks. Cooking, not boiling, is the secret to perfect eggs.
  • For easier peeling, use eggs that have been in your refrigerator the longest because the fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to peel. Chill eggs thoroughly in cold water as soon as cooking is completed. To peel, crackle shell by tapping all over, then roll egg between your hands to loosen the shell. Begin peeling at the large end where the air cell is located. Hold egg under cold running water or dip in a bowl of water to help ease off the shell.
  • To prevent eggs from cracking, gently puncture the large end of the egg with a pin before cooking in the shell. If eggs do crack, add salt to the water to help prevent them from leaking. Cracking is less likely to occur when using the cold water method.
  • Hard-cooked eggs can be stored either in the shell or peeled for up to a week in the refrigerator. Peeled hard-cooked eggs are best stored in a plastic storage bag or an airtight plastic container. Keep an extra dozen on hand for quick meals or snacks, salads, sandwiches, casseroles and garnishes.
Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 09:04

Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks for all the info. I think the problem is that my eggs are too new - I buy them at one of those huge warehouse places that has a high turnover.
I just went and bought 15 dozen eggs ( my mom died in August and her house is next door so I am storing them in her refrigerator). Hopefully that way they will "age" enough to peel easily.
Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 22:17

Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Good idea but.....

Remember though, eggs do expire. There should be a date on them.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 18:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default That's a Lotta Eggs!!!

That's a lotta eggs!!! You must really enjoy them!! Personally, I'm always concerned about how fresh eggs actually are when we get to buy them in the supermarket!!

I agree, watch the expiry date.