Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 11:27

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Kristi's perfect omelette

I love omelettes and I've experimented with a ton of omelette recipes. Here is my final outcome which I just love to death. Feel free to experiment with the fillings. I do all the time!

I'll give the recipe for the basic omelette and then my favorite filling.

Required:

1 8 inch skillet (for two egg omelette) 1 10 inch skillet (for three egg omelette) Non-stick works best, but feel free to use whatever you have.
2-3 eggs
1 - 2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon butter
2-4 tablespoons shredded cheese depending on taste (I like swiss or mexican blends)
Filling of your choice (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Crack eggs into mini food processor. Add water and process on high for one minute. This gives a nice fluffy texture to the prepared eggs. If you don't have a mini food processor, whisk briskly for one to two minutes until a froth forms at the top.

Heat skillet over meduim heat and melt butter in pan. Make sure to get the sides. Pour any excess butter out of pan.

Add egg mixture and let set. Scrape lightly with spatula around the sides and tilt pan to get any loose egg onto the cooking surface. set heat to low side of medium. The key here is to NOT brown the omelette. You want a light yellow set.

Loosen egg by pulling all sides from pan with spatula. Shake pan lightly back and forth to ensure the whole omelette is loose from pan. Turn heat down to low.

For those of you who can flip with confidence. FLIP away. For those who 50% of the time flip onto the stove like myself get yourself a plate (your serving plate will work fine!) Slide omelette, cooked side down onto plate. Place pan over egg and slide back into pan unfinished side down.

Immediatly add filling of choice and top with your choice of cheese. Turn OFF heat but leave pan on burner. Cover with your plate or a cover for about 1 minute until cheese is about 1/2 melted.

Remove cover and use spatula to fold over omelette. Then with the help of the spatula, tilt pan and slide omelette onto your plate.

Garnish with a sprig of parsley in middle of omelette and serve.

*Note, if your omelette comes out with any brown spots, adjust heat during cooking to avoid browning next time around since stovetop temperatures may vary.

Fillings:

My favorite:

2 slices bacon
2 tablespoons red or white onion
2 tablespoons fresh chopped tomato
1 tablespoon vege pepper (I like yellow or red)
2 white mushrooms sliced
1 teaspoon chopped jalepeno (optional)
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place skillet on stove, medium to medium high heat.

Dice uncooked bacon and place in pan. Cook until desired doneness (about 3 - 4 minutes) Place bacon in filling bowl and drain excess bacon fat. Do not wipe or clean pan. You want about 2 teaspoons of drippings left in the pan to cook remaining ingredients.

Turn heat down to medium. Place onion, vege pepper and mushrooms into the pan. Cook until about 3/4 done. Onion should become 1/2 translucent and mushrooms should appear about 1/2 cooked. DO NOT BROWN. Adjust heat as needed. If at anytime, it appears you don't have enough fat in pan to finish the cooking process, add the butter as needed.

Add jalepeno and cook about 1 minute. Add tomato and sprinkle with salt. Cook about 30 seconds to one minute. Just long enough to heat tomato.

Add this mixture to the bowl with the bacon. This bowl of filling will be added to your omelette during the "add filling" stage of recipe above.

I hope you Enjoy

Hugs,
Kristi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 21:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/126.5/125 Female 5feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default thanks...

Dear Kristi:
I find your recipe really simple and would love to try it however i have 2 questions> since this is my first time starting the low carb diet would this be a good breakfast choice for me? and secondly do i use egg whites only or all of the egg? thanks so much.