Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/141/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Depo question for ladies

I started Atkins Dec 27, had my routine Depo Provera shot two days later (ahem, BEFORE researching that aspect of the lifestyle on the forum!) I have read many archived posts saying that there are frequently problems with spotting, and I have experienced those problems more or less constantly. I remember reading that this is because estrogen is released as fat breaks down. But this month I was kind of shocked because I had a full, real-live TOM--cramps, heavier bleeding, the whole schmozzle (as Laverne and Shirley used to say.) I've seen the discomfort/disadvantage of Depo covered on the forum, but does this mean that my Depo is no longer reliable birth control? I'm planning on tubal ligation within the next three months but the wheels of health insurance and vacation time from work grind exceeding fine...but I'm coming up on my next scheduled injection and I don't want to mess with this constant spotting if it's not going to keep me "safe."

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Thanks,
Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 14:06

Stats: 215/161.5/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I was on Depo for a YEAR, and I spotted the ENTIRE time. Now, my doctor told me that the spotting was normal and that I was not fertile. Just make sure you get your next shot when you are supposed too.

Dont take my word, though. If you are worried, give your DR a call, that is what they are there for.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 15:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I've been on depo throughout. Whiel Iwas losing I would have spotting. When it was time for my next shot I would almost have a full period. Once my weight evened out and I stopped losing, I went back to no period and no problem. I havn't gotten pregnant either

I am going to look into other forms of birth control at my next doctors visit. I love no periods, and the ease. I am worried depo is partially responsible for no labido and no weight loss. I know the main reaosn for no weight loss is lazyness in both exercise and eating, but maybe a non-hormonal approch could help. Of course that would mean TOM, pms, cravings, bloating and maybe weight gain from that.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:37
Registered Member

Stats: 165/141/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks, both of you, for your insight and experience. Ladybelle, what you're describing sounds quite similar to my experience. I was worried about the "real" TOM that I got but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Feel much better now!

Thanks,
Nancy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 20:39

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I was thinking about trying depo in order to stop bleeding so much because I'm terribly anemic. But then so many people say they still have spotting and bleeding that I wonder if I shouldnt try something different? Oh -and I've heard that sometimes it can spike migraines and I have a problem with those already... So I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to talk to the doctor on Wed. I'm thinking maybe he can just put me on a pill back to back where I don't take the week off.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/120/110 Female 5.7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i ve been on depo for a year and all thoughout i was spotting or even bleeding. Last week i was supposed to get a shot but i didn't 'cus it's too frustrating to bleed 24/7 (the doctor said it will go away) and i think i bled more once i started lc. but now after the shot wore off, spotting stopped very happy about that.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:06

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I also bled the entire time I was on Depo (6 months). The nurse told me it would go away as I was hesitant to take the second shot. It didn't - got worse.

I also was very moody, libido decreased, and I gained 25 lbs. in that time.

However, I wasn't worried about being protected. It did work, just the side effects were devastating.

I have an IUD now. No worries and no problems.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I had a VERY bad experience on Depo! WHile I was in boot camp I had forgotten to take a few of my pills (early morning drills and all), so I decided to go on Depo when I got to my first duty station as this wasn't just birth control for me, but medication for endometriosis. I put on 30 lbs in one month despite the fact I was running 15 miles a week with my class. I ate no different than I had been. I too bled through the whole thing. Infact, depo messed me up hormonally so bad that I bled for three months straight and started hemorraging. The docs put me back on pills to stop the bleeding and within a month, I was pregnant. Three kids and an endocrinologists apt later....I found out depo had dropped my level of estrogen so low, that when I started on birth control pills....they HELPED me get pregnant. I also found out that for women with endometriosis, depo is suspected of aiding in sterilization. So be careful ladies...this is some powerful stuff.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 15:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/120/110 Female 5.7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

wow, this is amazing how many women suffer and have really bad experiences. I heard of few cases but never actually had a responce from a live person. I feel so releaved that there are women just like me with the same problem when it comes to depo. Thank you ladies.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 16:21
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Quote:
I also found out that for women with endometriosis, depo is suspected of aiding in sterilization.

I may of been lucky then. I took depo as a teen. I was diagnosed with endo and put on a high dose birth control pill a few years later. I gained weight and turned into a homicidal bitch form hell, but it must of helped. Shortly after finishing the 6 month rutine I became pregnant with my son. From the books I read the one cure for endo was to get pregnant, the younger the better. I had a 2nd child and now am on depo again. I wondered at the time if the fact I wasn't having ap eriod on depo contributed the the endo. I now really belive that it didn't, but if there are other corrilations between endo and depo I'm glad I didn't have the sterilization or other issues.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 16:46
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Quote:
From the books I read the one cure for endo was to get pregnant

This statement is only true WHILE you are pregnant. Once the pregnancy ends, the endometriosis will return because the openings of the uterus will reopen so eggs can travel from the ovaries, through the fallopian tubes, and into the uterus (ovulation). During pregnancy, this function shuts down & the uterus closes completely. The only true *cure* for endometriosis is a hysterectomy. Have you ladies w/endometriosis had diagnostic laparoscopic surgery to verify the diagnosis? Endometriosis *is* blood leaving the uterus & entering the abdominal cavity rather than being expelled during a menstrual cycle. The blood escapes where the fallopian tubes are located & causes abdominal adhesions and thus pain. Your fallopian tubes are not attached to your uterus, they basically float right beside it but are not attached, and that is how the blood gets out of the uterus & into the abdomen, through the openings in the uterus. The horrible thing about Depo-Provera is that everybody I know that has ever had that shot has gained an astronomical amount of weight. I had gotten one shot and didn't have a period for 10 or so months. I also gained about 10 pounds. The doctor could not figure out why I wasn't having a period as the drug usually wears off in three months but I had a very adverse effect & have never had the shot again, never will. I, too, have an IUD & would swear by it. No hormones, no pills, no spotting, and absolutely no pregnancy. The only downfall, you have to have at least one child before you can get an IUD because pre-birth your cervix has never dilated & it can be quite uncomfortable having it put in. There are some doctors who will give you an IUD if you haven't had a child but I wouldn't recommend it. I am yet to find anybody who had good results with Depo-Provera, which tells me that it isn't a very good choice for birth control.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:31
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I have had really good results with depo and will probably stick to it. The things that scare me away from the IUD are

1. The cost
2. The complications.

I have heard of alot of women who have had complications and infections form them, and a few who have gotten pregnant while the IUD was in place and either miscarried or had a very high risk pregnancy as the IUD couldn't be removed.

I also love not haivng a period. I loathed my period with a passion, and I hate PMS. One option would be to get on birth control pills and take them without a break. I worry that would cause alot of weight gain though. I would like to be able to find a method that is non-hormonal, yet as effective as the hormonal ones. They do havea progesterone based IUD now that lasts longer, and is suposed to be more effectiv.e But it costs more and I think would have the same side effects as the depo.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 18:27
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

My IUD cost me around $500.00 BUT will last me for 10 years. The cost of Depo-Provera and/or birth control pills is much more than $500.00 over a 10-year period. The progesterone IUDs should be removed in 5 years but they are helpful with cramping during your period. As with any birth control, you can become pregnant. There is no 100% effective birth control method out there except abstinence. The IUD is not for everybody but for me it has been great. If you are fortunate enough to quit having periods & not gain weight with Depo-Provera, then you are very, very lucky and a very rare case. A congratulations to you is definately in order. The link below shows the effectiveness of a lot of birth control options. You'll see that the IUD isn't as effective as the shot but the side effects from Depo-Provera, for some, are horrible. Depo-Provera & the IUD are the two most effect methods of birth control.

http://www.uhs.uga.edu/sexualhealth...ectiveness.html
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 17:04

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I'm really anemic and my doctor just put me on a medication called seasonale. Its supposed to just allow one period every three months. He said that sometimes through the first couple of three month cycles you have breakthrough bleeding. I wonder if you have less breakthrough on depo after the first couple of cycles of it (granted, a cycle on it is six months long).
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I have had two laprascopic surgeries for endo (the first by Dr. Tin the gyno that pioneered lazer surgery for endo). He was fabulous! Not any scar tissue 2 years later. Unfortunately, when the Navy cut me up the second time I wasn't so lucky. I had a hysterectomy 5 years later. My uterus was actually bound with scar tissue to my bladder. They had to completely cut it off to get it out. And just incase anyone else thinks about a hysterctomy.....it DOES NOT cure you of endo. It will only cure it if you have a complete hysterectomy. Due to my age (I was 26 at the time), I had a partial done (leaving my ovaries). Because I still have hormones, the endo still grows. I have trouble with it to this day. I also have scar tissue growing out of my stomach (can see it on my skin) and it will bleed. I look like I have little sores on my abdomen (it's the endo still growing). Pregnancy also will not "cure" you of it. Some women (sorry don't know the percentage) feel relief of the symptoms after pregnancy, but most only feel relief during pregnancy. The docs thought I would have a good chance of curing it since I was pregnant three times with only 6 months inbetween. But it only helped during the pregnancies themselves. I have mostly learned to deal with the pain. And believe it or not....eventhough my cervix was removed, I still bleed just like a period at times. The endo has grown down there too. And when TOM comes (as I still have those ovaries), I still have a period! Imagine that....a period even after a hysterectomy!!!