Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/162.5/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Question about Atkins Pancake and Waffle mix...

I'm trying to figure out the serving size and I must be a total dork cause I don't understand the packaging....HELP please!!!

Serving size 1/3 cup mix
4 pancakes prepared
servings per container about 8

It just makes no sense to me. There is 2 cups of dry mix in the bag and I made 8 pancakes with the entire bag,

TIA,
Melissa

BTW, they were yummy!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 15:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

They probably mean little silver dollar size pancakes, and you are making short stack size. Basicaly you need to make your pancakes only 1/3 the size you currently are. Use a spoon or something to measure them out more precise.

If there is 8 servings at 1/3 cup per serving, that means there are 2.5 cups in the container. You should get 32 small pancakes out of the bag. Each of your pancakes was around an entire serving on it's own.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Sun, Nov-09-03 at 15:20.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 15:26
Registered Member

Stats: 190/162.5/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 69%

OK, so 13 carbs and 5 fibers per serving. So 32 silver dollar pancakes or 8 regular sized pancakes. My one regular sized pancake has 8 grams. I guess that makes sense. I just found the wording very confusing and figured someone else here had eaten them and knew how to count them!

Thanks,
Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 02:55

Stats: 272/226/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Way too much!!
Progress: 38%
Unhappy

Hi,
I had the same problem understanding how to mix, so I called one of the folks ~ Atkins. I'm no Betty Crocker, but it was sure confusing. This is what I was told. It's 1/2 c. mix and whatever else they tell you to mix. That mixture should make 4 pancakes. There are 10 Servings in the entire bag, so.........you need to get 40 Pancakes out of the entire bag. I mixed the entire bag times 4 of whatever else they tell you and it's VERY thin. I got 30 pancakes. I tried to keep them about 4 inches across, but still never got the 40. I hated them. There was just no taste to them and the mixture was like wallpaper glue. Even with the Atkins syrup and butter they were gross, and I'll eat just about anything and bark at the moon, but this, no way. Through them in the trash. I wish you lots more luck than I had. I really wanted it to work out cuz I love pancakes, but no go for me. LOL

Hoping to see less of me!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 04:19

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

MayMay, this is a recipe I found on web for real pancakes at 0-5 crbs
2 1/2 tbsp.wheat gluten
2 tbsp.whipping cream
1tbsp.water
1 tbsp.olive oil
1/2tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1tsp.splenda
m akes 2 very nice pancakes.Use fork to mix everything.Fry in pan like regular pancakes and they b rown just like the real thing.I sometimes add a handful of blueberries and top with butter and ED Smith sugarfree syrup.Try them you will love them.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 12:50

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Yummy cooked with Butter

I have been cooking these darn pancakes for over 1 year now. Yes you have to make small pancakes to make more of them!

My early mistake was to put in 1 teaspoon of oil not 1 table spoon. I used olive oil for my oil. Then cooked in a teflon pan. I could never get them to turn out right. The consistency would never be right. I tried and tried - then one day found out it was 1 TABLESPOON of oil.

The recipe makes two servings

So I make 1 serving - 1/4 cup of mix, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 egg, 1/6 cup of water.

Next secret: Tossed the teflon pan - I have a big non-teflon frying pan. Put enough butter all over the surface and heat up fairly hot - 5 1/2 on conventional electric stove. Then I put on the pancakes - makes 2 x 4 inch pancakes. I use egg beaters which are two eggs per cup. Use 1 egg for the pancakes. Cook the other egg up with some cheese and cook up 4 strips bacon.

Wallah Grand Slam Atkins Breakfast - use low or zero carb syrup.

I think they taste great cooked with butter!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 13:17

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Don't make the entire bag! All you have to do is use the ingredients and that will make you 4 pancakes. Unless you make your pancakes bigger than that. It doesn't matter how many you make out of the mix. Personally I pour the whole thing in the pan and just make one gigantic pancake out of it. The point is don't use any more than 1/3 of that mix plus the other stuff at one time.

Now I will tell you that I personally cannot go by net carbs. I found that when I ate the pancakes the first time and only counted net carbs I gained 2 pounds. Same with the banana muffins. I do not subtract dietary fiber because my body personally just simply cannot eat that much carbs and still lose weight. That is just me but I have found a great way to use the pancakes. At first I thought I couldn't eat them and still lose but I half the recipe. I only fill the 1/3 cup up halfway for the mix. I don't use any oil b/c that would be like 1/2 a tbsp which is nothing anyway. I use half the amount of water but I go ahead and use the whole egg. It tastes no different and it makes one large pancake. Now that would equal 6.5 carbs unless you go by net carbs and then it would be 4. The point is that by halfing the recipe I can have a pancake every day and still lose weight. Plus the mix lasts a very long time doing it this way. I do the same with the banana muffins. I half it. Personally I don't buy any of the other breads or muffins mix b/c if you ask me that is still not low carb enough.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 13:18

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntanlove
MayMay, this is a recipe I found on web for real pancakes at 0-5 crbs
2 1/2 tbsp.wheat gluten
2 tbsp.whipping cream
1tbsp.water
1 tbsp.olive oil
1/2tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1tsp.splenda
m akes 2 very nice pancakes.Use fork to mix everything.Fry in pan like regular pancakes and they b rown just like the real thing.I sometimes add a handful of blueberries and top with butter and ED Smith sugarfree syrup.Try them you will love them.

what is the exact carb count per pancake for this. Thanks!
Where do you buy wheat gluten
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 17:25

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMay
Hi,
I had the same problem understanding how to mix, so I called one of the folks ~ Atkins. I'm no Betty Crocker, but it was sure confusing. This is what I was told. It's 1/2 c. mix and whatever else they tell you to mix. That mixture should make 4 pancakes. There are 10 Servings in the entire bag, so.........you need to get 40 Pancakes out of the entire bag. I mixed the entire bag times 4 of whatever else they tell you and it's VERY thin. I got 30 pancakes. I tried to keep them about 4 inches across, but still never got the 40. I hated them. There was just no taste to them and the mixture was like wallpaper glue. Even with the Atkins syrup and butter they were gross, and I'll eat just about anything and bark at the moon, but this, no way. Through them in the trash. I wish you lots more luck than I had. I really wanted it to work out cuz I love pancakes, but no go for me. LOL

Hoping to see less of me!

I agree re taste..my girls laughed at me..they were having "regular" pancakes and I was having my Atkins as a special "Treat". I thought they tasted like cardboard. I threw them out too...Maybe it was the way I made them! I was so dissapointed 'cause they LOOKED real good! Looked better than Aunt Jemimas! that's what made the taste oh so dissappointing oh well probably just as well....I may have ate too many.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 17:45

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Tastes definitely vary for everyone.

I've made the pancakes from the Atkins mix and really enjoyed them - the only thing I did differently was I used a tbsp of butter instead of oil. I did it the first time because I was out of oil, and found I preferred them that way. Just made sure it was really soft/melted and it mixed up fine. I also cooked them in a bit of butter.

I've made a ton of little tiny ones (loonie size for us Canadians ) from a batch - (which according to my package 1 batch = 2 servings). Made small, I got about 30 or so mini pancakes. I've also added more water and made large thin pancakes that I use as wraps...

Yum!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 05:08

Stats: 272/226/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Way too much!!
Progress: 38%

Suntan & Gary, both sound like winners. I live in Southern Rural Louisiana, but we know what taste's good, so I will have to check them both out. Problem is, where do you find the Wheat Gluten? We do have GNC's here, but that's it. Also, what kind of syrups do you use? I didn't care for Atkins. I have to get out of the Akins products only, if I'm going to make it. In this area, very few available,but so many other brands. Can you help>? Also, what is exact carb count? THANKS!!!