Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/260/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

We've made the waffles twice so far. They are very good - in looks, texture and taste. It's so surprizing considering pork rinds are the base of the recipe. You just can't imagine.

For syrup we used 1 stick of butter, a capful of maple extract/flavoring, and about 5 or 6 Splenda packets. It was really good.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 18:39

Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

I just made the waffles and they were pretty good!!

If you are like me and my boyfriend... we both said, "PORK RINDS? yuck." But I was eager to bake/make something- and in the mood for a meal other than burgers or chicken (for dinner).

Soooo....

I crushed the pork rinds in the blender, and then sifted out any of the hard pieces that didn't grind down. So, I ended up with a nice powder/flour.

Then, I follwed the instructions-- eggs, cream, water, vanilla, sugar&cinnamon... but I added an extra pkt of splenda, a little more cinnamon (I didn't measure- just to "taste") and some nutmeg. After it was all mixed up- I added a cup of powdery pork rinds.

I have a Sunbeam waffle maker- and I was able to get 4 waffles from the batch. The last 2 "boiled" over a bit... so I bet if I watched it closely, I could have gotten 5 waffles from the batch.

I took the suggestion of topping with homemade whipped cream (eventhough I also added it to the batch), and butter.

I served it with a side of bacon-- just in case the waffles were "pork rind-y" I wanted to have a flavor that covered it- and basically confused the taste buds.

Nonetheless... I had 2 whole waffles- and my boyfriend (also LC and 260lbs of hungry man) only had 1 waffle and was pleasantly full!

I finished it off with a mock root beer float (diet root bear, with some of the left over whipped cream) and let me tell you.... I feel like I have gone out to a restaurant and splurged on treats!

YUM YUM!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 18:58

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

I was in my grocery store today and could not find HEAVY CREAM. Gee I have avoided that stuff for years and now can't find it. I could only find "whipping cream". Is that the same. Last time I used HEAVY CREAM, we scooped it right off the milk at the farm!!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 09:47

Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

In my grocery store, we have "whipping cream" and "heavy whipping cream". I am sure you can use either one in the recipe. Just note the carbs, because I am sure the heavier cream has less. :-D
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:34
Registered Member

Stats: 3??/3??/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:0000
Progress: 8%
Talking Low Carb Cooking....

Good Morning everyone!!
I just wanted to let you all know that I am so excited about all of these wonderful recepies(I don't think I spelled that right) I never thought that low carbing could be so good.. . I am going shopping today, so I willl be able to try some of these yummy dishes.. Again thank you so much for the info .......
I can't wait to try them yummmm !
Oregongirl
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 07:21

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up They were Great!

Stormy:

Thanks for posting that recipe. I made them last weekend and loved them!!! I had previously bought the Atkins pancake mix and hated it. These waffles were wonderful. Thanks again for making my breakfast much more interesting!

Kim
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 12:54

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default wow

Stormy! You are my new breakfast hero!
I have been too squeemish to try any of the "Pork rind french toast" recipes but finally braved it out for these waffles..
They were SO GOOD! I almost did weep when it tasted like I was eating a real carby breakfast and in reality it's so LC!!
I added a little extra Splenda and a tiny sprinkle of Stevia powder.and I followed the Pecan suggestion and processed them into the pork rind flour. Also more cinnamon, a tad more vanilla, and probably more pork rinds than I needed (they were pretty dense)
I also melted some butter, added Splenda (and a whisper of Stevia), and Maple flavor and brushed them on the waffles when they came out of the iron, plus added plenty of SF maple syrup. Yummy!
Next time I will grate some fresh nutmeg into the batter and they will be perfect!

Happy at Breakfasttime,
Sheri J

ps- My fiance would not try them, no matter how much coercing I did (but he was sweet enough to run out and get emergency eggs for me when I noticed we had none this morning... and oatmeal for himself when he saw what I was making.. ha ha. His loss!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 11:10
Registered Member

Stats: 200/174/115
BF:
Progress: 31%
Question Want something a little crispier

I made these and was fairly pleased with them. I put two almonds in with the pork rinds when i ground them to give a little nutty flavor to it and used da vinci sugar free carmel syrup instead of vanilla extract because I had no vanilla in the house. The only thing i wasn't too thrilled about was the texture. I am probably deprived but never actually had REAL waffles. Pretty much used to Eggo or other frozen waffles. These waffles were very fluffy, more like french toast to me. I would like something just a little more crunchy like i am used to. Anyone have any suggestions. I have some left over to freeze, I wonder if i heat in the toaster rather than micro if these will get crispy.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 12:53

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default yummy

I made them again this morning.. I've never had a problem with the texture. Mine are really dense but I think I add more pork rinds than the recipe states. I used between 3 and 3 1/2 oz of rinds. (Denser than eggo)
I had a leftover one for breakfast this morning and made it nice and toasty in the toaster. I think it would be soggy in the microwave!
I also tried new things in the recipe. I tossed in about 1/3 cup fake Marzipan I had made previously (ground almonds into butter, added splenda, stevia, vanilla, and almond extract) and a big handful of pecans (I added those last and barely grinded them so they were about 1/4 size). I also gave it a sprinkle of Stevia, some Amaretto Davinci syrup and fresh grated nutmeg. It ups the carb count to add all the extra nuts, but I ate 1 waffle (my waffle maker makes 4) and I was stuffed! I made a full batch so I can put them in baggies and freezer them for quick breakfasts.

Lisa, try experimenting a little and adding more pork rinds and nuts!

these are a definite keeper for me!

sheri
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:22

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Thumbs up FAB WAFFLES!!

LisaM33 - are you using a regular waffle maker or a belgian waffle maker? Belgian are more common. I got one free with my forman grill. Anyway, if you can find one of the old timey ones (my mom has one) or buy one, I think that is what you're looking for. I love those, too.

THIS is a GREAT recipe. Had to make them while my fella was at work - he would FREAK OUT. I'm planning to freeze them and bring them out when he makes (his own) waffles.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:40

Default fitday breakdown

Fit day numbers for this. I used 1.5 cups of ground porkrinds (in fitday as 1.125 oz) - not packed tightly into measuring cup, also non-alcohol vanilla.

Calories 1064

Grams:
Fat 86
Carbs 6
Fiber 1
Protein 65

Might help if you're trying to tweak the recipe. (I got five 4"x4.5" waffles out of this)
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:50

In fitday you have the choice of entering 'cup' (not crushed), '2oz bag', or 'rinds'.

I entered pork rinds in fitday entered as 1.125 of 2oz bag.

1 dry measure cup of crushed rinds = 1.5 oz
1/2 dry measure cup of crushed rings = .75 oz
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 21:50

Plan: LC
Stats: 266/224/185 Male 72 in
BF:?%/30%/15%
Progress: 52%

OK, I know it's been 6 months since the last post to this thread, but I just found it yesterday. I made the waffles tonight. Not bad, but like cre8tivgrl, I found them to be as bit "eggy," as well as sort of heavy/dense. I'm going to experiment with beating the egg whites first, then folding them into the rest of the batter and I'm going to try a little baking powder. One mistake I know I did make was that since I was always taught to add a pinch of salt to any recipe containing eggs, I did just that and they turned out a tad salty! But otherwise, I think I can make these things again and have them turn out pretty darn good! Just have to work on the syrup now. The Atkins syrup has an okay enough flavor, but it's just so thin and runny. Any good syrup recipes out there??
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

When I make these, I add 1 tsp baking powder. I like the texture better and my little daughter, who doesnt like anything, loved these. My hubby too. I recomend adding the baking powder.
Nanci
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 18:01
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm going to have to try these... Especially if they freeze well and can be popped in the toaster. I'd eat breakfast more often if I could make it EASY on me in the morning... LOL

I'll probably whip these up one night (when I am more prone to do cooking) .

Oh, on the good syrup, there are pancake syrups that are sugar free that are pretty good, as long as you don't mind sugar alcohols. Usually I can find them with the regular pancake syrup in the store or by the diabetic foods.