Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 06:20

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 178/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default I'M CONFLICTED...Dr. says stop.

Yeah, it's me again. Just when I was starting to feel better about why I wasn't seeing the progress I thought I should (thanks to you guys and your encouragement!) I went to the Dr. yesterday and he told me to quit doing Atkins. He said it didn't seem to be working for me and I should try a better plan like Slim Fast or WW. He acknowledged that Atkins works great for some people - just not me. I'm really conflicted - I've been discouraged by my progress on Atkins but don't Dr.'s tend to be anti-low carb anyway? What to do...what to do... Advice??
*On a lighter note I took your advice and did my measurements and I've lost a total of 6 inches! And I was down 1 pound this morning! YEA!! Of course I haven't eaten anything yet. I think my quote should be "always weigh naked, in the AM and on an empty stomach"!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 06:40

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Quote:
On a lighter note I took your advice and did my measurements and I've lost a total of 6 inches!
So, obviously it IS working......I'd say stick with it, you're right most doctors are anti-fat and therefore anti-Atkins. Unless you prefer starving going to a diet where you're hungry all the time......
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 09:03

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Did he say why is wasn't good for you (history of kidney problems, a specific medical condition, etc)? Because miscellaneous people at the bus stop tell me Atkins is bad too! I would search for another doctor who may have ties to diabetic treatments, endocrine specialties. Unless you do have a specific medical condition that would be adversely affected by LC, I can't see how losing weight would not help you?

On another note, Slim Fast! How is that an acceptable weight loss plan? It never prepares you for eating in the real world.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 12:30

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 254/245/190 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile

My doctor told me that the diet is fine as long as I incorporate veggie and don't just do meat and eggs. If you feel that it is working then stick with it unless you start feeling bad.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 13:36
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
I think my quote should be "always weigh naked, in the AM and on an empty stomach"!
I always weigh first thing in the morning, after a visit to the bathroom, naked.

Regardless, you should try to weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions every time.

And losing inches is success too isn't it?

If there isn't some medical reason for not sticking to Atkins, I say stick with it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 157/157/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

This is not an easy dilemma, and I sympathize. The first time I tried Atkins, two years ago, my cholesterol was high after 3 months of eating relatively large amounts of saturated fats, including shellfish, red meat, and cheese. That said, a lot of people have lost a lot of weight on Atkins. Based on what I've read, there continues to be speculation about the long-term effects of a high protein diet. However, it seems to work for a lot of people and I have read a lot of posts about people's labs improving dramatically.

This time, I am on South Beach and am eating seafood, eggs, and veggies. This is keeping me relatively satisfied so far. I am also going to compare my labs at my next doctor's visit carefully.

In my opinion, there are a lot of paths to weight loss, and despite the controversy of a high protein diet, the best benefit is the weight loss itself. What's better? Holding on to extra weight and eating "healthy" or losing it and feeling good and moving around more?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 14:08

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Atkins isn't high protein

It's high fat.

If all your carb-replacement calories are coming from protein, you're not doing Atkins.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 157/157/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well, I certainly wouldn't say Atkins is low protein, either.
To clarify: there has been a lot of media attention on non-food pyramid diets including Atkins as well as high protein diets. I specifically remember reading about a comparison of multiple diets including Atkins which showed that different eating methods can result in weight loss.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 19:25

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

If there is a medical reason for you to stop then by all means heed the advise. If you FEEL good and know you are losing inches then keep doing what you are doing. Plain and simple. One doctor doesn't have all the answers.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 19:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpete
Yeah, it's me again. Just when I was starting to feel better about why I wasn't seeing the progress I thought I should (thanks to you guys and your encouragement!) I went to the Dr. yesterday and he told me to quit doing Atkins. He said it didn't seem to be working for me and I should try a better plan like Slim Fast or WW. He acknowledged that Atkins works great for some people - just not me. I'm really conflicted - I've been discouraged by my progress on Atkins but don't Dr.'s tend to be anti-low carb anyway? What to do...what to do... Advice??
*On a lighter note I took your advice and did my measurements and I've lost a total of 6 inches! And I was down 1 pound this morning! YEA!! Of course I haven't eaten anything yet. I think my quote should be "always weigh naked, in the AM and on an empty stomach"!

You are correct. Many doctors are ani-low carb, sad to say since it is a sound diet. When you speak of your success, I see no reason to change. If it were me, I would stay on that diet just to prove the doctor wrong. The weight may be coming off slowly but it is coming off. It is working great for you. Yes, weigh when you get outta bed, after going to the potty. Make sure you are naked. Losing inches is more important than losing lbs.

Last edited by black57 : Wed, Oct-19-05 at 19:43. Reason: Brain Fart
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 23:47

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 178/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks, Ya'll. I think I'll stick with it! When I go back to the Dr. in a month, maybe he'll change his mind.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-05, 00:18
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Well Atkins and any other low carb plan says we should give up sugar and simple carbs.

I don't think any Dr in the world would actually recommend eat those things.

I think those substances are poison. For me. Some people can do them in moderation, but I can't.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-05, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/175/120 Female 5 feet 3/4 inches
BF:42%
Progress: 25%

My doctor put me on a low calorie, low fat diet (the old AMA diabetic diet...you know...3-5 fruits a day....5-7 breads a day and no fat) because my cholesterol and triglycerides were high. He wanted me to walk 45 minutes a day. I did what he asked for a year. I even most days walked 90 minutes instead of the prescribed 45. I was so dedicated that I walked in the sleet and snow (what little we get here in eastern NC). I was starving all the time but suffered for a year. I managed to lose 20 pounds initially, then slowly the scale crept up 4 pounds....without me cheating!!!

When my employer held our annual Health Fair, I went and got my blood drawn. My cholesterol and triglycerides were even higher than before. My bad cholesterol had skyrocketed and my good had dropped. I was horrified and thought, "Well, if low fat, high carb is not working, I will do the opposite!" I returned to Atkins and in a few days felt much better. No cravings or hunger. Weight and inches dropping off. More energy. Sleeping better.

I had a doctor's appt. a couple of weeks after beginning Atkins again. When I showed him my labwork and how much worse it is, he prescibed Lipitor. I told him I was doing Atkins and he said, "You are going to kill yourself on that diet! All that fat will make this worse." I told him what I had learned about Atkins and he did listen intently but still didn't believe it. I struck a deal with him. He agreed to leave me alone for 3 months to let me give Atkins a chance to work and I agreed to have my bloodwork redone at that time. If I was not better, I agreed to take the Lipitor.

3 months later, his comment was, "I would kill to have your cholesterol!" He had bought the Atkins book and read it before I returned and said that several of his patients had starting following the diet and were doing very well. He even made suggestions on how I could improve my Atkins because he had become so knowledgeable. If I return to him and have gained weight at my yearly physical now, he wants to know if I am still following my Atkins. Of course, this year, my bloodwork told him I was way off base.

I am now back on and doing great...all with my doctor's blessing and recommendation.

Just a story that might inspire you to have a talk with your doctor. Atkins is not good for people with Kidney disease, so I would find out what your doctor's concerns are and see if he will discuss them rationally or be willing to look at some research on lo carbing.

One other caution. I drank Slim Fast for a while and ended up blocking my intestines and having abdominal surgery. I was very sick. My 2 doctors both agreed that Slim Fast overwhelmed my body with more fiber than it could handle. I followed the Slim Fast directions to a tee. They said it was a dangerous diet for me to use. I now adjust my foods and stay away from food replacements.

Good luck to you!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-05, 10:41

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 315/231.4/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

Great story Jr. Thanks for sharing it!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-05, 16:06

Plan: Neandergirl
Stats: 145/131/122 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:36/34/19
Progress: 61%

If you feel good and there is no medical reason to switch you have to stick to it. How long have you been on the diet? there is a notorious week 3 and 4 stall. But if you stick to it it will work. After losing 30 plus pounds I personally had to switch to low carb low fat (high protien) to get the last 15 pounds off . But low carb was DEFINATELY the way to go for me-otherwise I just cant control the cravings or hunger. Let THEM eat cake