Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-12, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 370/210/170 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Well, the magic of Stillman has ended for me for now...I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks then have been stuck again at 215 for the last 5 days. I'm going to stick with it, but I'm getting a little down about this. I understand all the "whoosh" effect and everything, but with doing everything right, it's frustrating not to see any reward on the scale or with my tape measure.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-12, 04:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Well, the magic is gone for me too, however, when considering calorie and carb intake, it is perfectly understandable. The numbers for my third week on Stillman are not only higher, but likely underestimated as well. My lost 3 day weekend with wine and off-plan eating also meant not weighing and measuring. Recall the next morning is a bit shaky. I was back to the same stuck scale weight at 166 even for days (11 of the past 19 days). After changing the batteries last week, I assume the scale is working fine. I usually bounce up and down in a 4 pound range, so this is usual for me too.

However, lower calories as the week progressed brought one more pound lost. The third week on Stillman/Dukan (I eat non-fat Greek yogurt) was 1200 calories, 33 carbs, 51 g of fat and 128 g of protein. So fat is still 38% of calories, and some of those carbs are yogurt carbs, so the reality is lower (plus 9 g of fiber from who knows where).

To give this tweak to my diet a fair shake, I will remain lower fat until next Friday and complete 4 weeks. Then off for a week of vacation with a basic Primal plan and reevaluation. Later today I am headed to DD’s apartment to get much needed window curtains and put up rod....promise this will not be an excuse to eat whatever is available. Home for (yet another) chicken dinner. Have a great weekend all!

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-17-12 at 04:46.
  #168   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-12, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quick hi. Always lurk to see how everyone is doing. Not tracking this week but still lower fat than usual and higher protein. Posted on Lab rats thread about lots of physical work helping my sister. Home on Sunday and very happy about that.

Happy Friday
  #169   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-12, 18:50
Registered Member

BF:

My Stillman book arrived today - bought for $.01 off Amazon! - and, yeah, he's pretty harsh in his descriptions of overweight people, but starting tomorrow I'm going to follow him to the letter (but no dairy, diet drinks or artificial sweeteners, I know my body can't handle those).

I've lost over 12 lbs since August 1st without him so hopefully that picks up with him. Wish me luck, y'all.
  #170   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 08:51

Stats: 156/126.4/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Good luck DC. My son just moved to DC for grad school. He is very excited to be there.
  #171   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 10:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:

Good luck, DC.
It works when we follow it, for sure.
I am getting slowly used to eating lower fat. For me, it really does not mean low fat, lol. Just lower than my usual. One day at a time. We gonna conquer this.
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-12, 06:23
Registered Member

Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Right!
I'm here to inform you all I am well and truly off Stillman.
I've stuck it since 25th July very well, but as the magic bit is over, I can be bothered no more.
I'm not/have not lost any quicker than I have done on Dukan or Atkins/IPD (a slightly more relaxed Atkins style plan).
I have had my first salad this lunchtime with some real mayo.
I am sure I will gain over the next few days but I'm sure it will right itself and I am going to try my damnedest to weight only on a Sunday morning from now on. Wish me luck with that!!
If I'm honest, I am quite happy with how I look now. My BMI is 24, it used to be around 34.
I am just chasing a UK size 12 and it just doesnt seem to want to happen.
Being big a long time I am sick of being classed 'plus size'. 14 is apparently a plus size.
I am going to try and embrace who I am from here on in and accept my hard worked for 14 (sometimes 12 ) - I started at 22 so 4 sizes is not bad though 22 to 12 has a better ring to it!
I am going to try and pick the exercise up a bit as I have gotten lazy of late.
That's it really, just wanted to get that out.
Good luck everyone. X
  #173   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-12, 11:19

...or you could move to the US where you have to go over 16 to be plus sized.

A BMI of 24 is great for your height. Did you do that recent BBC ranking of countries by weight...The Global Fat Scale?
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=444482

You are way down that list..and certainly much healthier than many in the UK! Impressive weight loss..down from 34 BMI to 24..that's huge.

I was going to mention the Dukan interview on the Research/Media forum here anyway. Interesting he talks about healthy weights and does not encourage being skinny. You might look into his ideas on maintenance as well.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-19-12 at 11:30.
  #174   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 02:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Jey.
I will look at this stuff you have suggested.
I have also changed my target weight to 168 (12 stone straight). I have actually been 12 stone a few months back before I crashed off the wagon and slid into the ditch.....
3 pairs of my loveliest jeans wait for me at 168.
  #175   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 07:18

Stats: 156/126.4/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Dita,
You have done such a great job losing weight so far. I am so sorry that a little crash gained you 6lbs and lost your jeans for the time being. That is what I am scared of. I am just at goal and I don't want to gain 5-10 lbs. It is just such a pain to lose again.
  #176   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 12:33
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
US where you have to go over 16 to be plus sized

Whaaat? I'm a size 14, I'm obese and no where near normal. There's no way I'm not a plus size.
  #177   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 16:16

Hi DC...until you have to shop in a plus-sized store, like Lane Bryant, or cross-over to buy in a separate "Woman's Dept" for an 18W, I consider Misses size 4 to 16, well, just regular-size. That's good news, right?

Harsh?...have you read the "Answers to Dieter's Excuses" chapter? I would have been in tears if I was his patient! Thank goodness I see the sweet and charming Dr. Westman instead.
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 05:37

This past month on a lower fat Stillman/Dukan plan has been eye-opening and successful. After 8 months of being stuck around 170, I have lost 8.5 pounds and my 160 goal is so very close. Another two pounds gone this week. Now 161 and have been for a few days. Where I use to be stuck at 166 every morning, I am now stuck at 166 before bed every night. And with some off-plan pounds lost before starting Stillman, I have lost 14 pounds in 33 days. Btw, my scale only works in half pounds; showing tenths of a pound would trigger my OCD tendencies, this is more than enough scale obsession as it is.

This week I stayed low fat and lower calorie mostly following plan, but added a few salads for dinners (a bit of Dukan Cruise phase thrown in, but really to combat boredom). I also added Chia Seed Gel to non-fat cottage cheese and yogurt, which increased fiber and decreased calories from dairy. I have no idea whatsoever if that had anything to do with the additional two pounds lost, but it sure is interesting stuff once you learn to cover-up the gray color Stats for this week were: 1,185 calories, 40 carbs (25 net carbs) 48g fat (36%), 138g protein.

So guess what works for my old post-menopausal body...lower fat and counting calories...what a concept! Since I am so committed for health reasons to follow a primal lifestyle, I look forward to incorporating both approaches from now on. Adding back the non-starchy green vegetables, but not loading them up with butter and coconut oil. Adding back the low sugar berries without heavy cream. Adding small amounts of fats to proteins to make them a tad more palatable. Not exactly revolutionary. Dr. Phinney (who btw is a researcher, not a clinician) and his Nutritional Ketosis acolytes can push their fat levels to 80%, but this diet plan has shown that I need to move the fat meter in the other direction. An extremely useful experiment this month, and I will come back to this thread in a flash if I can’t maintain on my lower fat Primal plan. All the best to everyone who wants to try Stillman/Dukan...it is well worth finding out how your own body responds to these plans.

Previous weeks: post # 90, 145, & 167.

Later thought to check my measurements, since March and with increased power water aerobics in the summer months, my arms are down .5", waist down .5", abs at naval, down 1" and thighs down .5". Can't tease out what may have been due to the weight loss this month, but I do feel "thinner", which is Pooh's goal in my signature and is a "good thing"

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-24-12 at 02:57.
  #179   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-12, 05:42
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

So I thought I'd hop in and say hi.......I'm on day two of stillmans.......getting married September 22, so if that's not motivation, then I don't know what is! Have done stillmans in the past......in tenth grade I followed it for a little over a month and lost about 30 pounds so.......I can't wait for some good results, even if I am ten years older! Have a great day today! :-)
  #180   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-12, 09:18
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Jess.
When you did Stillman and lost 30 in about 1 month what exactly were you eating and also were you very overweight at the time?
Only asking as I read about lots of people who did it and got good results so I tried it but it didn't really work any better for me than any other LC plan.
Thanks in advance.