Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 15:31

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default LIVER - what to do?

Hello, I'm new to all this but am able to cook up some decent food shooting for 20 net carbs a day. I've been at it for about a week and a half and have my second weigh in tomorrow (Monday).

I have some CALF LIVER that I purchased a few months ago. This is sliced into quarter pound servings individually wrapped.

I'm an adventurous eater ha! I'm not turned off by trying new strange foods.

I was thinking a little onion (didn't know those had so many carbs before I started this) and frying in bacon drippings that I collect and use as one of my main sources of dietary fat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I didn't grow up eating liver so I don't have any biases except so many people say it's horrible. Let's prove them wrong.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 16:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I layer about 1 pound of liver, a half an onion, 1/2 pound bacon and a few handfuls of mushrooms in a small crock pot with the mushroom onion mixture on the bottom followed by some of the liver and then some of the bacon and repeat until the crock pot is full. It's good to add a little water to the pot and then cook it on low until it seems done. It makes about 6 servings.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 05:46

BF:

Onion/Liver/Bacon repeat. Outstanding idea and thank you contonpal.

I have a insta-pot presure cooker / slow cooker to try this idea out in. Worst case scenario is I'm out some bacon
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 06:58
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Interesting take, Cotonpal, since overcooked liver becomes grainy in texture. I suppose everybody likes it different.

Personally, I like mine pink inside. If I were using those three ingredients, I'd saute lots of onions in the bacon fat while I breaded the liver in a bit of seasoned flour (you choose which kind). The coating protects the meat from turning to leather.

Empty the onions out of the pan and reserve.

Add more bacon fat, get it hot, add the liver. Brown on both sides, return the onions and finish cooking.

If you don't want it pink inside, cover the pan, turn down the heat and let it simmer for awhile.

Remember, I warned you that the texture becomes grainy if cooked to death.

I hate gray meat.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 07:10

BF:

Glenda - I'm just a lot lazier than you or maybe not as particular. Simple and quick is my preferred method of cooking and the texture does not bother me at all.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 07:23
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Glenda - I'm just a lot lazier than you or maybe not as particular. Simple and quick is my preferred method of cooking and the texture does not bother me at all. Jean
See, it's all about what we like, isn't it.

I'm VERY particular about what I eat. "If it doesn't taste good, why eat at all" is my motto.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 07:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Pate is probably a good intro to liver, too.

Turns out I hated it. The recipe got rave reviews, but blech. I even tried a couple of store brands of pate just in case I screwed up the recipe. Nope.

I wish I liked it. I wouldn't mind trying the liver chili recipe that's posted here. I bet I could tolerate it hidden behind the ground beef, veggies, and spices.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 07:48
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Pate is probably a good intro to liver, too.

Turns out I hated it. The recipe got rave reviews, but blech. I even tried a couple of store brands of pate just in case I screwed up the recipe. Nope.

I wish I liked it. I wouldn't mind trying the liver chili recipe that's posted here. I bet I could tolerate it hidden behind the ground beef, veggies, and spices.
I really like braunschweiger and liverwurst, too.

Side note: Both my baseball teams are out of the running this year, so even though I'm paying attention, I'm not that invested in the World Series. Still. I think it's a good time for the Jays!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 08:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
See, it's all about what we like, isn't it.

I'm VERY particular about what I eat. "If it doesn't taste good, why eat at all" is my motto.

I like the way my food tastes. De gustibus non disputandum est.

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 08:07

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

I cook mine like a steak, the only difference is the liver should be thin. 3 minutes on ea side little pink inside. Other way , look up chicken liver recipes, cut you liver in small pieces and cook like chicken liver. There are a lot of recipes on the net
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 11:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I once put a pound of chicken livers in chili and loved it. So did my BF, at the time, and he was very plebeian tastes. It just added extra depth to the flavors. I really need to do that again, it was tasty.

BTW: I find calf liver and beef liver to be really strong. Chicken livers are much easier.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 04:18

BF:

Wow, thanks all for all the great suggestions. I'll hold off on the extra onion and breading option till I start adding cabs back, but that's the "classic' way I've heard some of my fiends describe liver they like. I like the take on dicing it up too and the Chili idea.

I'm having a great adventure in my first 2 weeks of induction with Atkins style 20 carbs. I've heard it said on here that it not about what you CANNOT eat, but what you CAN eat.

THAT makes all the difference for me. I'm looking forward to stepping on the scale Wednesday morning. I know something is happening to my body.

Thank you,
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

You could use a sub for the breading, like golden flax flour.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 09:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've also heard of people soaking liver in milk to help get rid of the coppery flavor. I wonder if it needs to be milk?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-15, 06:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The only way I've ever been able to stand chicken liver is in a giblet gravy. Maybe try making a lc pot pie where it gets hidden in the gravy and veg