Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 05:35

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 145/145/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:
Talking Newbie to site, but not to LC

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a long time LCarb-er...since Atkins came out... Want to start doing it correctly, and not wing it as I go along. The low carb way of life always kept me at an ideal weight, but of course, I didn't constantly pick back then, and I was a lot younger! My body def changed past the 50 mark and I take sleep meds, that prob don't help... But now, I've gained weight that I feel uncomfortable with due to my height...I pick a lot during the day, which is counter productive...and of course, at night i have to have like a 5 oz yogurt as a snack, which I never did before.

Anyway, my concern right now, is if I can continue with my fathead dough flatbread that I enjoy in the morning. I make my own recipe without almond flour. The ingredients themselves are all zero carb... They're simply delish with a little margarine and sprinkle of pumpkin seeds...I used to use the cream cheese, but like the butter way better. Do you think this is ruining my plan, along with the yogurt at night? Also, sometimes I'll have a small cup of Carb lite ice cream or make my own. I guess they call it dirty keto, but I'm a big foodie and love to experiment... There are other cheats I'm sure that I do, but that's it for now. Thanks for having me as part of the group! I have some good recipes that I have made up on my own. Like LC chowder, chix pot pie, etc. Thanks again...Please advise about the Fathead dough flatbread.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 05:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I find the sleep meds far more troubling than the foods you mention. Sleep disruptions and excess cortisol could easily have put on the extra pounds you have listed; not the food.

I would address the sleep issues FIRST, and get off those meds. Research indicates such drugs knock us out, but don't give us real sleep. This disrupts all kinds of body systems that I urge you to address.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 06:48

BF:
Progress:

I understand all that, but due to recent loss of loved one(s), it's an unfortunate necessity.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 06:49

BF:
Progress:

it's not a sleeping pill, per se...it's in a family of meds that is used commonly for sleep issues.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 07:38

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

If you want to be a low carb person, do experiments on yourself to see what works and what does not.

We all have issues we have to work around and many of us - meaning me -- use food to handle stress.

I would eliminate the yogurt - read the nutrition label. Most American yogurt have replaced the fat with carbs.

Lose the ice cream

Try to find a substitute for the flatbread for one or 2 weeks and see how you do.

Keep asking questions. We will give it our best shot to answer.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 11:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by millaburg
I understand all that, but due to recent loss of loved one(s), it's an unfortunate necessity.

Oh, hey, I understand. Stress issues for certain then. My sympathies.