Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 03:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Experts warn of fatty liver disease 'epidemic' in young people

Quote:
From The Guardian
London, UK
12 April, 2019

Experts warn of fatty liver disease 'epidemic' in young people

Study finds substantial numbers of young people at risk of liver cancer, diabetes and heart attacks

Experts are warning that high levels of fatty liver disease among young people, caused by being overweight, could signal a potential public health crisis.

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is fairly common among older adults, detectable in about a quarter of the population. But a study has found that substantial numbers of 24-year-olds are also affected, putting them at risk of serious later health problems, such as liver cancer, type-2 diabetes and heart attacks.

Researchers from Bristol University tested more than 4,000 young people enrolled in a longitudinal study called the Children of the 90s, set up to follow the lives and health of children born in 1991 and 1992 in Avon, England.

All of them had been given an ultrasound at the age of 18, which revealed that 2.5% had non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Five years later, a newer kind of scan called transient elastography or fibroscan detected that over 20% had fatty deposits on the liver, or steatosis, indicating non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Half of those were classified as severe. The scans also found that 2.4% had fibrosis – scarring on the liver. Severe scarring can cause cirrhosis.

Presenting the results of the study at the International Liver Congress in Vienna, Dr Kushala Abeysekera, from the University of Bristol, said: “We were concerned to find that, at only 24 years of age, one in five had steatosis and one in 40 had evidence of fibrosis, based on elastography results, in a group of largely asymptomatic, predominantly Caucasian young people.

“The results of our study suggest greater public health awareness of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is needed in young adults in the UK.”

He told the Guardian they did not expect to see these levels of disease in young people. “Nobody has looked at them with fibroscan before. This is a blind spot in clinical practice,” he said. “We don’t look because they are unlikely to have any complications of it.”

They needed more data and would be following up the young people in the study, he said, but “this is potentially a harbinger of things to come. We may see an increase in severe advanced liver disease. It may shift from the 50s and 60s to the 40s and 50s because of the epidemic.”

The vast majority of the young people with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease were overweight, with a BMI over 25. Among people with the largest amount of fatty liver deposits, 60% were obese.

The study excluded anyone who drank heavily, but there will be people who have fatty liver disease because of both being overweight and drinking.
The disease is reversible if people eat a good diet, get back to a normal weight, exercise and drink only in moderation, which is why the public health message needs to be promoted, the researchers say. There is a danger that young people are oblivious to the long-term risk they are running, said Abeysekera.

Prof Philip Newsome, vice-secretary of the European Association for the Study of the Liver, said, “These data highlight the impact of the obesogenic environment and, in particular, its role in the development of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in a much younger sector of the population. This requires swift changes in public policy if we are to defuse the ticking time-bomb of obesity and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society...in-young-people
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 04:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I went to college twice, two decades apart.

The first time all eating was done in the cafe, and a cup of soda was the size of my hand.

The second time, you could hardly hear the instructor over the crackle of junk food packaging and everyone had what seemed like a gallon-sized soda welded to one hand.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 07:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Experts are warning that high levels of fatty liver disease among young people, caused by being overweight, could signal a potential public health crisis.

Clanging of the warning bell does no good when the ears are deaf!! Nothing significant has been done to address the obesity crisis and diabetes epidemic, so why would fatty liver disease change anything.

Im a closet low carber -- docs dont want to here it and certainly those dedicated to following doctors orders dont want to hear it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 14:53

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

No surprise to me. In one of the many video presentations that I've watched by Prof Tim Noakes, I remember him saying at one point that he felt that hepatologists could be more useful in predicting heart disease risk than many cardiologists.

And as was written in this review article from 2012:

Quote:
The West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study group of 6595 men were followed up for 15 years, and naturally some developed diabetes. Stored plasma samples were analysed to allow retrospective reconstruction of what happened to liver enzymes in the majority who did not develop diabetes, and in those who were about to develop diabetes. Figure 3 shows the rise in ALT, which precedes diagnosis of diabetes. This is well within the normal range, and it is unlikely to be detected in any one individual. Hepatic fat is building up and the process of Type 2 diabetes is underway. Before diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes, there is a long silent scream from the liver.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-19, 09:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Wow, Grav! That's some stunning stuff that I would have thought would get more attention.

My own years-long experience, paddling my little boat through the ocean of online papers, is jaw-on-floor astonishment that there are so many important ideas that are being ignored!

The ones pertinent to my interests have been implemented, and most of the time it leads to progress with my health, sometimes dramatically so.

And if I can't make sense of it, I can find someone online who can. In fact, I have, in rare cases, emailed the scientist involved and gotten an answer. This was how I formulated the self-diagnosis that my problem was Cortisol Resistance, and at the time there was only one doctor who acknowledged it, and bless him! had a treatment plan.

All because I went on Atkins, lost all my excess weight, and found a whole new world of wisdom Much thanks to this forum here.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-19, 09:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

As I started dropping weight, most of the early losses were visceral fat, and it was obvious. I was likely on my way to T2D, and I'm sure my liver was screaming before I came to my senses.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 07:17
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Great thread--thank you, all.