Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/182/135 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Kentucky Fried Chicken Oven Roaster Strips

Does anyone know what is used to coat the chicken strips for the KFC Oven Roasted Chicken Strips?

I had them for dinner last night and I feel SURE there's a flour coating on them. I'm afraid I blew my carb count for the day and they also gave me (sorry!) pretty smelly gas. So I'm almost positive it was flour.

I looked on the kfc site but no mention of these new items or their carb count.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 11:25

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

My parents picked some up for me, too, for our high class Mothers Day dinner, but they seemed to be coated in something. I just ate the regular fried chicken after peeling off the skin and coating.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 11:35

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

If you go to a website called three fat chicks on a diet, they have most of the fast food info.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 11:47

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Just looked at the fat chicks website. They didn't list the Roaster strips, but they did list the green beans at 19 carbs! what the heck do you do to green beans to make them 20 carbs per serving?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:41

Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

OK ... if you go to KFC.com they have a nutritional calculator.

The only thing they have for the strips is the Roasted Strips Meal which has 44 net carbs.

According to the site:
Remove the Rice (which has 30 net carbs) and the green beans (which has 5 net carbs)

9 carbs for the strips alone ... their seasoning probably has some sugar in it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 13:49

Stats: 211/182/135 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

THANK YOU! I KNEW there was something else in those darned things but I was starving by the time I ate (I know, poor planning) and I just ate them. They didn't make me feel all that good, either, let me tell you and I DID try to scrape the coating off of them but it was kinda baked in.

I think the KFC site is very user unfriendly, I tried again to navigate it and I guess I'll just avoid their stores altogether.

Although someone said I can eat the chicken if I peel the breading off of it?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 14:31

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I was picking up some kfc for someone else the other night and laughed so hard at the counter advertising. It states "Contains 100% of the RDA of sodium" Its kind of stated in the same way as stating has 100% of your calcium needs so some misinformed people are going to be thinking hey this is good its got a lot of sodium thinking sodiumis like vit c or something
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 16:05
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Thanks for posting this tho. It helps warn others before they go out and try it.. Just like DON'T buy the ice cream at D'Lites unless you want sugar! It is no longer made with Splenda.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 16:36

Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I was going to post about these. I was so excited when I saw the sign at KFC. My son and I went last night. I got the strips and he got original recipe chicken. He looked at them and said "mommy it looks like those are breaded" I ate one and it tasted funky. We ended up trading, I pulled the breading/skin off of his and he ate the strips. I was really po.'d. I was so happy that they added oven roasted something and they sucked!
Anyway when we got back I got this off their site:

<i>Fresh chicken breast strips containing up to 43% (based on raw weight of chicken) of a solution of water, seasoning (soy protein concentrate, salt, rice starch, carrageenan, dextrose, onion powder, dehydrated chicken broth, maltodextrin, spice extractive), sodium phosphate. Seasoned with: Wheat flour, partially hydrogenated cottonseed & soybean oil, maltodextrin, dextrose, salt, butter (cream, salt), spices, onion powder, garlic powder, citric acid, paprika, chicken flavor(from chicken skin), yeast extract, calcium silicate (as anti-caking agent), potato maltodextrin, chicken fat, nonfat milk solids, natural flavor, chicken meat, caramel color, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, extractives of turmeric, & spice extractives.</i>
yuck
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 20:04
Registered Member

Stats: 213/193/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

How ignorant is KFC.....they have the most perfect opportunity to make great inroads (read Profits) into the Low-carb community with the perfect product CHICKEN.....but they totally *uck it up! Corporations are just so desperately out of the loop and yet.....sit there scratching their heads wondering.....how can we make money....!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 06:16

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

Wow...glad I didn;t try them! I was thisclose!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 07:15
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Fresh chicken breast strips containing up to 43% (based on raw weight of chicken) of a solution of water, seasoning (soy protein concentrate, salt, rice starch, carrageenan, dextrose, onion powder, dehydrated chicken broth, maltodextrin, spice extractive), sodium phosphate. Seasoned with: Wheat flour, partially hydrogenated cottonseed & soybean oil, maltodextrin, dextrose, salt, butter (cream, salt), spices, onion powder, garlic powder, citric acid, paprika, chicken flavor(from chicken skin), yeast extract, calcium silicate (as anti-caking agent), potato maltodextrin, chicken fat, nonfat milk solids, natural flavor, chicken meat, caramel color, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, extractives of turmeric, & spice extractives.

oh gross!

Thanks for sharing!