Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 18:51
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Post-menopausal weight loss to near goal: What about subcataneous belly/back fat?

In a podcast with Jimmy Moore about her new low carb book "Diet 101," Jenny Ruhl says that during menopause a layer of fat often develops under a woman's skin of her torso (subcataneous fat) and that this is rarely lost when the woman loses weight. Her basis for this statement is not a scientific study, but is observations of herself and of other women on the internet who have lost weight after menopause. She says that much of this fat remains even if the post-menopausal woman reaches her goal weight and that it is almost impossible to lose.

I'm curious as to whether women here who lost the bulk of their excess weight after menopause and reached goal or near goal have also experienced this.

I'm 55 years old and believe that I am finally post-menopausal as my last period was over a year ago. I've lost about 25 pounds in the last year and am almost at a BMI of less than 25, which would be in the "normal" weight range. I could still stand to lose another 10-20 pounds, however. I have a layer of fat that I can feel under my skin on my belly, back, and ribs. In 2002-2004, when I was about 5 pounds heavier than my present weight, this subcataneous fat wasn't there. It's only appeared in the past few years and, so far, it hasn't gone away with my recent weight loss. Abdominal exercises aren't helping it either, although my belly in general is getting smaller with exercise.

I'm hoping that there are post-menopausal women here who can tell me that their subcataneous fat did go away or reduce substantially.
Sponsored Links