Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1276   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-09, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantwings
Hey, I just saw this add at the bottom of your page here, and I'm actually interested:

http://www.elasticsteel.net/Articles.asp?ID=156

I think I need it!

OUCH! That hurts just looking at it! But it is darned hot when a girl can do it!
Sponsored Links
  #1277   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-09, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia

• If you don’t eat it it cannot make you fat
  • Having junk food “for guests in case you get company” means you will sooner or later eat the junk when you are not having company.
  • Boredom is the mother of cravings and urges to eat crap
  • No cardio routine will make up for binge eating. If you train intensely and say you burn 500 calories, that’s not more than a slice or two of pizza. Then imagine a half day of junk food all you can eat marathon and you should realize no cardio will compensate your pigging out.
  • Women don’t have a lot of muscle, so stop worrying about working out hard. It’s the fat on top that makes you thick, so get rid of it.
  • There is no forbidden food, but all the small extras become one big forbidden habit since the calories add up.
  • It does not matter how healthy a food is, it STILL has calories. You get the same calories from “whole grain” as you get from the white flour stuff. You get more micronutrients with the former, but still, calories are calories.
  • Eating a lot of veggies does not make you fat just because you get bloated from the fiber.
  • salt does not make you fat, it makes you retain some water.
  • Don’t bother “gotta sweat” when you work out: it is just heat leaving your body, NOT fat.
  • I don’t believe you get fatter from eating at night as long as your total intake is on track.
  • I don’t believe you need to eat every two hours to stay lean.
  • Squats is the way to get a killer tight butt. No kicking, no squeezing will produce the same results as does some real good squatting.
  • You won’t get a fitness model body in three months if you don’t happen to be a former well-trained person.
  • Living off yoghurt, fruit and dried fruit makes you look like a soft skinny model. not firm and toned.
  • To look “just about the right fitness look” you must be extremely dedicated and persistent.
  • No cardio will make your legs firm: weight training and sprint work will.
  • Women should train the same hardcore way as men. In general.
  • Staying lean means always paying severe attention to your diet.
  • Your body does not WANT to be as ripped as YOU want. There is no magic formula except for discipline and dedication.
  • What looks healthy and “perfect” is usually an end product of super extreme lifestyle.
  • You cannot have the cookie and eat it. Stop looking for a short cut and embrace a dedicated lifestyle.
  • Peaking for a show is pretty easy, keeping it is not.
  • If you obtain a certain condition with a certain diet, a certain amount of training, that same formula will keep the fat away. If you slow down and eat more you will regain the fat again. Obvious but still confusing for a lot of people.
  • You won’t die from decreasing starches in your diet. You don’t NEED them to survive.
  • OTC painkillers are bad for your liver, your stomach and your muscle growth. Work on your weaknesses instead with correct training instead of popping pills.
  • fatburners help only when diet and training is right on.
  • vascularity comes form being lean, having salt in your system and having a lot of muscle.
  • healthy muscle look “loose and soft” when not flexed and pumped and hard when flexed. Having a constant pump is not “normal”.
  • you will not be a big big muscle woman from hitting the gym hard. Not you men either, haha.
  • You cannot diet to get lean if there is no real muscle volume underneath the fat! A lot of women in particular want to get lean, when as a matter of fact there is nothing to lean up! First you need some meat to your bones, THEN get rid of the subcutaneous fat.
  • Ladies, your legs are seldom that muscular and big as you believe. They appear that way due to a lot of body fat on top…. So either you diet harder and lose the fat slowly but steady or you go for keeping the jiggling yet smaller legs… Your call.
  • Men, you too have legs! It does not matter how impressive that upper body is if it does not come with matching legs! If you have a hard time getting some mass on the wheels, that’s ok, what is NOT is avoid training them!
  • Ladies AND men, crunching does not give you lean and sexy abs… You gotta work your whole body! Going in for cardio and abs is inefficient. Go squat instead and not in the smith machine but the real thing and your abs will look so much better when combined with a great diet.
  • when you walk on a high incline treadmill, don’t hold on to the rails….. it’s YOU who should walk the treadmill, don’t let the treadmill walk YOU.
  • Avoid getting banana legs. DO those straight leg deads, curls and good mornings.
  • Whole food market is wonderful, but all food in the store is just as calorie dense as anywhere else. The granola, the take away, the subs, the yoghurts, the dried fruit are JUST as calorie dense as anywhere else…
  • There are no protein bars that are as clean as real food.
  • If it looks like a candy bar, it is a candy bar.
  • Having three bars a day on a restricted diet is not what I call eating clean!
  • You don’t die from not having cereal in the morning.
  • If you don’t get lean from your diet, it’s probably because you eat too much! And yes, your body does not care if it happens to be “clean” food, it is still calories that are too many.
  • there is nothing wrong with YOU just because your body does not shed fat like a maniac. It’s NORMAL. Losing weight is a battle against your genes and evolution…The human body is PRO at surviving, you should be happy for it in case there is a disaster!:-)
  • Yes, being lean all the time makes it harder to get even leaner and everybody loses a lot of weight first on a diet. That is because you have a lot to lose.
  • “I always lose the 10 first pounds with ease then I cannot do it anymore, I get stuck”. It’s the common plateau, just deal with it. People yoyo diet and lose the first pounds and then go up again when it gets tough. Stop yo yo dieting, it won’t all the sudden get easier…
  • “I gain muscle so easily I am afraid to get too big” is a very common explanation I hear….It is never true!
  • When you say you get fat from creatine it’s usually because when you did go on it you ate like a pig since you thought it would make you gain muscle. You just got fat. So next time you try it, don’t over eat and you will get stronger but not just fat. Creatine adds WATER to your muscles, not FAT.
  • You can not and I tell you again, can not change fat to muscle. You can build muscle and BURN fat.
  • Your body has NO need for junk food. Your brain might have a conditioned need for it but that is what it is.
  • Being hungry does not kill you. It’s annoying but not dangerous at all.
  • You won’t be catabolic from missing a meal here and there….
  • Eating chicken and rice, chicken and rice is not healthy just because many bodybuilders eat that way.
  • There is no such thing as “you deserve a nice physique”, you can only achieve it!
  • If you feel you work harder than anyone else you can be sure you have not even reached 20% of your potential.
  • Your mind sets your limits, not your body.
  • Don’t just walk into the gym and do your sets and reps. FEEL it, LIVE it, LISTEN to your muscles, SPEAK its language. Keep your focus. A great physique does not happen by accident, it happens by dedication.
Discipline your Dedication.

http://fighterdiet.com/blog/?cat=5&paged=2

OH! That is awesome! I'm gonna print that out and post it on my fridge and re read it alot!
  #1278   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-09, 10:40

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Reflecting on cardio....Pauline Nordin

http://fighterdiet.com/blog/?p=2321

The question about the perfect cardio approach must be right up there in top 3 of FAQs I receive and with all right because yes it is confusing. Why? Because there are many ways on how to go about it.
Why are we doing cardio? We are no runners, we are training our muscles to be bigger than average and not layered with fat on top! Cardio is a tool to achieve that look: weight training builds muscle, diet makes you leaner, muscular or fatter depending on what you choose to eat, but cardio, what does it really do for us?

Except for the obvious health reasons, cardio seems to help with getting more nutrients to go to muscle instead of fat cells. A lot of people say doing cardio enables them to eat more, but I cannot sign the dotted line on that, I never had that privilege! ha!

All cardio training will have an impact on your body. The whole cardio exercise is not a muscle-building stimulus (unless you do intervals at very high intensity OR you are way out of shape), so if you have too little muscle mass, sure, it can have a negative effect on your muscle mass. Usually though, you cannot have it all at once: if you are too tiny to do lots of cardio to get lean enough, well, then your focus should be on getting more muscle first hand. But for us who have a lot already I believe the muscle-breakdown scare propaganda is exaggerated. Especially for women. Women tend to be able to do way more cardio than men without getting too skinny.

Just like there are 100 different training protocols and styles for hitting the weights, there are just as many approaches to cardio. Empty stomach? Intervals? After weight training? On separate days? Lactic acid training? steady pace? treadmill? bike? Yup, as you can see MAAAANY ways to do it. I’ve done them all more or less. Can I say I see a difference between fasted cardio vs intervals vs steady state? Double sessions? No, you see I happen to be a non responder when it comes to cardio and leaning out. I do cardio to deplete my muscles so they keep on sucking for what I eat. That way I minimize the risk fat cells get some energy to store!

So I assume you wonder why I do cardio that often then except for the nutrient partitioning effect I just mentioned as well as heart health: I like the feeling of having it done! I like busting my butt, not that it feels great doing it, but after it is done, oh I am on a roll baby!!! NOTHING can stop me from conquering the world after I kick my heart rate up to the 170s. Feeling like I cannot get more oxygen and the lactic acid burning in my quads oh yeah it makes me feel like a rock star!!!!

That is why I do it. Since I see no difference between 20 minutes a day and 2 hours 2 times a day in condition, actually the latter version makes me look more puffy from the increased stress and release of stress hormones, I cannot say I believe cardio has a huge impact on the body condition. But this is just for ME. I train clients, bust their butts on a daily basis and been doing it for years so I know people respond differently to cardio. My body happens to be a very resistant cardio machine haha, but man my heart is strong as hell beating at 38 at rest and that is good to be a weight trainer!

Since I promised some guidelines…..;

If you are a serious hardgainer:step away from any cardio equipment except for top 2 times a week. Do no more than 5 minutes of hard consistent work. That is all you need, but PUSH though so you feel it. Do not ever do it empty stomach!

If you want to drop a lot of fat yesterday: do cardio 6 days a week, alternate between intervals, steady state, different machines. The more you mix it up the less resistant to burning calories your body will be. Do the steady work ones on an empty stomach, but if you want to work harder and reaching lactic acid building, take BCAA’s pre workout and post workout. This protects the muscles.

If you are trying to get rid of fat thighs and butt otherwise lean: do both empty stomach cardio AND interval training. The more you work the legs the bigger the chance the fat will come off…

If you want to get lean and build at the same time: do short sessions HIIT style. I would do it separately from weight training.

Now over to when to do it:

Whenever you can!!! The more intense the session the more it does not matter when you do it. You are not doing cardio to burn fat during the workout IMO, you are doing it to create a fatburning environment. Now, yes you will have different hormonal setups depending on when you do them, but it is of less great importance…You should really do them when you are most likely to go do them. It’s not smart to schedule an intense grueling session a sunday night because vegging out at home is more appealing! If you are me anyway it is! So, schedule your sessions when you are most likely to commit and do it. Day in and day out! Find routines you can stick to or it is not worth your time!

Pauline Nordin
  #1279   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-09, 12:33

Plan: LC/LF + weights & cardio
Stats: 158.0/138.8/135.0 Female 5'7 1/2 in
BF:
Progress: 83%

Another awesome post from robo-woman... (has she talked you into doing more/higher intensity cardio yet?)

I only have one thing to add: If you're running on a TM, raise the incline, and if you're running outdoors, do hills- both build way more muscle in your legs and booty than just running flat. (Oh, and she's right about sprinting- that builds muscle too.)

Last edited by iwantwings : Sun, Nov-01-09 at 12:40.
  #1280   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 14:15

Plan: Lean protein-veggies
Stats: 150/112.2/115 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 108%

Deb THANKS for sharing this cardio info!! very uselful!!
  #1281   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 08:25

BF:
Default planned pity party place

O.k. I'm trying something new here. I'm just using this as a sounding board for my wayward thoughts, or just to whine and say stupid things. I don't want my friends to feel burdened with the need to try to make me feel better. I need to feel what I need to feel, and say what I need to say just to clear my mind of whatever it is. My thoughts are if I can just journal my feelings, no matter how stupid they may be, maybe it would help me really see what my issues are for not reaching my goals. Plus it might free up some space in my head for better thinking.

I don't mind comments, but I don't want anyone to feel a need to comfort me. This is a planned pity party place. I may find this very useless and never come back to continue it. But right now I'm thinking I'll give it a shot.
  #1282   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 08:42

Plan: Lean protein-veggies
Stats: 150/112.2/115 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 108%

Hi Deb!!!!

I am not trying to make you feel good...I just want to say that writting is a VERY good tool to be aware of your feelings!!!!
and..the first thing we can do to work on our feelings is to recognize them!!!
  #1283   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 08:47

BF:
Default The Plan:

Goals for this week:
Morning cardio: 4 times this week, 20 min. sessions.

Weight training: Right now I'm doing~ legs/ chest & bis. / back/ shoulders & tris. abs twice a week. I will continue with this for a while longer.

Stretching: a little each day.

Eating: I've been eating VLC for a while. I think it's the calories that are the issue. I will be trying to stay around 1500 this week.

Supplements: I don't wanna talk about supplements. I'll work on them, that's as much as I can commit to.

Water: 64 ozs. a day

Motivation: Keep my mind focused on working my plan and reaching my goals. Read quotes, etc. and renew my determination daily.

Goal: The fitness one, in it's simplest form~ lose fat/ retain muscle. Get far enough below 20% bodyfat to see good ab definition. Hopefully everything else will fall into place. I'm planning on achieving this by June 1 2010. So this is my 5 month plan.

Well, I think that about does it. Now to begin.
  #1284   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 08:48

BF:

Thanks Any. I hope it works out well.
  #1285   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 09:48

Hey there! Lookin good as always!

Thanks for the link a few pages back to Marks website! Cool Stuff. And I have to ask, maybe a stupid question, do you work out with Pauline?
  #1286   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 09:56

BF:

Hi Prof. No...I just read on her website sometimes. I like her philosophy about weight training and admire the success she has.

Thanks for the compliment.
  #1287   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 14:29

BF:

Just finished chest and bis. I'm not going to post weights/reps/sets just thoughts on how it went.

Not as good as I had hoped. I was missing reps I should have made. I'm going to have to prepare myself mentally better next time. I haven't been doing that. I've just been dragging myself downstairs to get it done. No enthusiasm = weak crappy training. So, new rule...psych myself up before training.

I also did morning cardio: 1 down, 3 to go.

Still have stretching to do. 1.5 more water bottles to drink, and two meals. Eating has been pretty good.

12/21/09
Yesterday in review: I got most of my water. I did the work-out and cardio.
My macros were approx.: 1200/ 58/ 16/ 110
Mood was good.

Monday's weight: 138.8
Woke-up around 2:30.

Today I plan to do abs and cardio. I also plan to eat at a Chinese restaurant.

Well. I did eat at the Chinese restaurant. And then I ate about 6 slices of bread with coconut oil and cheese. And I'm thinking about eating 2 more while I still can. Because tomorrow I will be good again. I hope eating all these carbs and calories won't cause trouble.

I did NO exercise...I slept a lot. I can't even remember when I have had any bread before today...a LONG time. And happily my bread has been in the freezer so long, it tasted pretty bad so I won't be thinking how delicious it was as the days go by.
macros: approx. 2000/ 85/ 70/ 176

12-22-09 140.2
Here's a tip~ you can not put BCAAs in protein pancakes and still be able to eat them. NASTY!! *gag* I do try to get my supplements down...they are just so hard to get along with.

So I gained a couple of pounds yesterday. I think the bread was the biggest "deal." No exercise didn't help anything either.

I did abs, cardio and stretches. I still have legs to do, but that'll be later today. I'm also doing laundry.
Exercise is especially good in the wintertime because it sure warms me up. I hate being cold.
I'm going to mix up my muscle cocktail to drink during this afternoon's training. I have got to start drinking this stuff. My eye is burning. This is why I thought writing stuff here would be a good plan...it saves anyone from having to read my every thought.

I did do a sad little leg work-out. There was just NO talkin' myself into squats today. So...nothing was good today. Crappy eating and exercising. Didn't drink my cocktail. Basically, I could have done worse...but I would have had to really work at it.
Macros were not good again today:
1,800 / 115/ 21/ 123

12-23-09 139.4

Yay, back in the 130s, barely, but I'm there. I think I'll go do morning cardio. It won't be empty since I already had a protein bar. I was feeling kinda sick, so I ate. Feel better now.
Today is "option day." I have 2 more work-outs to get in this week, and one more abs, and I have 3 days to do it.
I opted to not do anything besides eat...and mostly salted nuts...lots of them. No exercise...just eating.
I will do progress pictures, because it's the rule...but I'll probably be wearing my Snuggie. No rule about what we have to wear. *feeling quite clever for finding a loophole.*

Well, I did go work-out after all. I'm just always surprising myself. I did back and cardio. And this week I remembered to raise the suicide bars so I could actually do rackpulls with the desired weight. I don't know if I mentioned it last week, but I had forgotten to raise the rack and was trying to use rackpull weight at deadlift level. NOPE! It was like the weight was nailed down. I couldn't budge it. I'm glad I didn't tear up my back with all my determination.
And so...exercise ended up being good....eating, not so much.

12-24-09 139.6

I probably had 2 cups easily of mixed nuts yesterday. The BIG cups...I still feel a little sick from them. I was pretty miserable last night. Anyway, I will not eat them today. I hope.

I'll either do abs or shoulders/tris. today. I also plan to do cardio.

Last edited by galatia : Thu, Dec-24-09 at 06:34.
  #1288   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-09, 16:58

BF:
Default 12-27-09 ~ 1-1-10

12-27-09 138

Eating ~ too much
supplements ~ nope
water ~ not bad
cardio ~ nope
weight training ~ YES! Legs. And I did squats!

12-28-09 139

Eating, etc. ~
Cardio ~ Yes.
Push-ups ~ 65 I hope to add 5 in 2010.

12-29-09 139.4

Eating ~ Well, I ate the Brazil and Hazelnuts that I had rejected the other day when I was binging on mixed nuts. Now they are all gone. However... I don't feel so good.
Cardio ~ Yes.
Weight training ~ Yes. Chest and biceps. Curl bar rack in on my wish list.
Water ~ good.
Supplements ~ If I ever start back taking them, I'll make a note of it.

12-30-09 139

Empty cardio~ 20 mins.
Eating ~ cream cheese. Clearly I am determined to eat just badly enough not to make progress.

12-31-09 139.4

Empty cardio~ 20 mins.
Weights~ Back

1-1-10 139.8

Empty cardio~ 20 mins.
Abs~ yep
Weights~ shoulders and tris.
Good day.

Last edited by galatia : Fri, Jan-01-10 at 15:40.
  #1289   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 18:32

BF:
Default 1-3-10 ~ 1-8-10

Decide not to carry around a burdensome resentment for what you have to do. Choose instead to be delightfully thankful for what you are able to achieve. ~ Marston

I need to try to apply this attitude to squats.

1-3-10 138.8

Morning cardio
Abs
Weights: Legs I did squats. (I remembered my quote and kept a good attitude.)
Eating ~ good
Water ~ good

1-4-10 139.2

Chest and bis.
Post w.o. cardio
Eating ~ good
Water ~ good
Attitude ~ good

1-8-10 139.6

Had to go to Dallas for a couple of days....so I combined back, shoulders, and tris today. I also did cardio.

Week in review: not great. Lots of calories in restaurants and no exercise.

Last edited by galatia : Fri, Jan-08-10 at 13:46.
  #1290   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-10, 19:52

BF:

* Nothing in the world will sort out that sagging butt better than squats – NOTHING
* Nothing in the world will give you square, toned shoulders like overhead barbell or dumbbell shoulder presses
* Nothing will improve your posture more than weight training
* Nothing will give you those nice sculpted arms you want more than weight training

You can fall for all the latest gimmicks if you like. You can turn up religiously at aerobics class, but these activities will never even come close to the power of weight training. They simply do not provide the progressive overload required to make radical changes in body shape that weight lifting does.

In fact, excessive cardiovascular work will lead to muscle loss which not only looks worse, but slows your metabolism – bad news.

Mark McManus