Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 21:00

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Default Anyone else have trouble with their sink clogging?

It seems this WOE has my sink clogging more frequently. I don't pour grease down my drain, but I guess it's getting in there somehow. I will start being more careful to run very hot water after every clean up and also after running the dishwasher. Any other hints?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 21:59

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

If you think you've put grease down the disposal, run it with cold water to solidify the grease and chop it into little pieces.

On the other hand, we have a septic system and don't want to put grease down the disposal. I clean grease out of pans and off of dishes with used napkins or used paper towels before putting them in the dishwasher or washing by hand.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 22:29

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

My sink gets clogged all the time! A lot of time I can clear it just by running very hot water for a long time. It often seems to start glugging again just before the sink totally overflows and spills onto the floor. Sometimes, though, I resort to Drano, but still have to run hot water a long time. Had to do it just yesterday!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 07:30
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

How to Unclog A Drain With Baking Soda and Vinegar
Pour a pot of boiling hot water down your drain,, about 2 quarts.
Dump in about 1/2 c. baking soda. Let that sit for a few minutes.
Then, pour a mixture of 1 c. vinegar and 1. c very hot water down on top of the baking soda.
Cover with a drain plug (to keep the reaction down below the drain surface) if you have one and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Flush one more time with a pot of boiling water.

I used to use this all the time after my first clogged drain necessitated a plumber call.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Baking soda and vinegar usually works for me too. I sometimes use an enzyme type of drain opener for maintenance or small clogs, hit or miss but sometimes it helps.

Also, watch for slimy bits of lettuce -- just a small piece can clog a drain and sometimes they're hard to see or fish out.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
If you think you've put grease down the disposal, run it with cold water to solidify the grease and chop it into little pieces.

On the other hand, we have a septic system and don't want to put grease down the disposal. I clean grease out of pans and off of dishes with used napkins or used paper towels before putting them in the dishwasher or washing by hand.

I try to make a point of doing that. I think I will add some Dawn to the hot/boiling water I put down the drain after I clean the kitchen. We have very hard water, so I think that is making it worse.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
My sink gets clogged all the time! A lot of time I can clear it just by running very hot water for a long time. It often seems to start glugging again just before the sink totally overflows and spills onto the floor. Sometimes, though, I resort to Drano, but still have to run hot water a long time. Had to do it just yesterday!

Yeah, that's what I try to do too. I will see if adding Dawn will help. Drano does squat for us.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
How to Unclog A Drain With Baking Soda and Vinegar
Pour a pot of boiling hot water down your drain,, about 2 quarts.
Dump in about 1/2 c. baking soda. Let that sit for a few minutes.
Then, pour a mixture of 1 c. vinegar and 1. c very hot water down on top of the baking soda.
Cover with a drain plug (to keep the reaction down below the drain surface) if you have one and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Flush one more time with a pot of boiling water.

I used to use this all the time after my first clogged drain necessitated a plumber call.

Mine got really bad last summer and I called a plumber. It cost 169.00 and they were here quite a while. It didn't last. Now, I snake it myself but I am going to call one to remove this broken disposal that is in place and pipe us
up w/o it. I think your method will work better with no disposal in place. The back-up always comes up on the disposal side.