Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 13:54

Plan: low car
Stats: 250/250/200 Female 6 feet
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Home made choc chip cookie, please help

Hi,

I have been a lover of chocolate chip cookies, but now that I am dietetic I cannot have them anymore. I have not had one since 2 months ago since I was diagnosed. I have researched and would like to make my own low carb cookies at home, but I am very very new to baking and don't know much about it. I don't want anything like with almond flour etc or some bad sugars like spleda, so I have researched and found the following ingredients would help (below), but I am not sure how much of each would I need to add or take an ingredient away to make the choc chip cookie yummy. So those with experience your help would be much appreciated I am trying to get down to 1 net carb with very low fat and high protein as this will help with my new diet.

Wheat protein isolate
Resistant wheat starch
Flax-seed meal flour
Vital wheat gluten
Unsalted butter
Egg
water
Vanilla Extract
sugar free choc chips,
Baking Powder or soda
cocoa powder
Caramel food color
For sweetener: stevia extract, monk fruit or erythritol/ Isomalt
Extra fiber: oatmeal fiber, inulin, poly-dextrose, oligo-fructose,

Thanks

Bethy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-16, 19:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Bethy, did you mean that you are diabetic?

Can you share with us more about what kind of low-carb plan you're following? The accepted low-carb plans here are generally not low fat. I have to wonder why you would reject almond flour while consuming wheat gluten and wheat starch. Also, sugar-free chocolate chips probably contain sugar alcohols, which are bad news.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-16, 13:55

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Bethy, did you mean that you are diabetic?

Can you share with us more about what kind of low-carb plan you're following? The accepted low-carb plans here are generally not low fat. I have to wonder why you would reject almond flour while consuming wheat gluten and wheat starch. Also, sugar-free chocolate chips probably contain sugar alcohols, which are bad news.

Well I am trying to keep my carbs down as much as possible, so i check all the nutrition facts on packages before i make something at home, and yes i am diabetic, i just don't like almond flour, and sugar alcohols are fine as that will come off the total carb, e.g. carbs = 11, sugar alcohol = 2, so net carb is 9,

i would really appreciate someone helping me use the above ingredients to make a cookie with net carb about 1-2, look forward to your replies.

thanks again
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-16, 19:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have you checked the "Contents" stickies in both the Sweet Treats and Baked Goods forums? Because there are recipes for cookies in both sections.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-16, 20:15

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Sugar alcohols CLAIM to not be processed as sugars. CLAIM being the operative word.

For some, that may be true. For me, it most certainly is not.

Have you made anything with almond flour, or are you going by the idea of it, that you don't like it?

I hate to say this, but frequently the best way to get over wanting something is NOT to make a fake version of it, but just not to have it for long enough that it no longer is enticing.

When I first went grain free, I decided that I WOULD have mini donuts at my state fair, which was a month and a half after I started.

I'd not eaten any grains, and very little sweet, in that month and a half. I bought the donuts, and they were too bready, and too sweet. Husband ended up eating more than half of them.

It may be a good idea for you to research some of the better low carb, high fat eating plans. Either of Dr Atkins' books, the 1972 version or the 1992 version would be an excellent place to start.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-16, 19:44

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Sugar alcohols CLAIM to not be processed as sugars. CLAIM being the operative word.

For some, that may be true. For me, it most certainly is not.

Me neither. They also have unfortunate digestive problems for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
I hate to say this, but frequently the best way to get over wanting something is NOT to make a fake version of it, but just not to have it for long enough that it no longer is enticing.

I hated to hear that when I first started lchf, but it's true. The substitutes just aren't good enough. I succumbed to a Whitman sugar-free sampler last week. There were only 3 candies in it, and none of them tasted very good. Last night I got some home-grown, unsweetened raspberries out of the freezer & they were perfect. A quarter cup was satisfying.

The only substitute I still have - tho not too often - is crepes made with cream cheese & eggs. I just butter them or put unsweetened fruit on them & they satisfy my sweet tooth.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-16, 12:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Alas I sometimes still enjoy a sweet treat. When I want something in particular (say chocolate chip cookies) I find that eating other things just makes me overeat the other things and then I still want the cookies anyway.

Do you like peanut or almond butter? My go-to recipe (alas no measurements because I almost never measure anything when I cook) is:
- a big glob of crunchy natural peanut butter or almond butter
- one egg
- a good splash of vanilla
- a pinch of salt

Blend all until well mixed and smooth, then blend in chips, drop onto baking sheet, cook about 10 minutes at 350 F. Best after chilled in fridge.

Note I don't generally add any sweetener as the chips themselves make it sweet enough. One time I found somewhere chips that were totally unsweetened 100% chocolate so in that case I added some Swerve or Canadian liquid Sugar Twin to the cookies.

P.S. these are the chips I like:http://www1.netrition.com/lc_foods_...late_chips.html

Last edited by Merpig : Wed, Feb-03-16 at 12:44.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-16, 13:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oooh... gotta try those choc. chips. Thanks, Debbie!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 12:51

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa_chick
Wheat protein isolate
Resistant wheat starch
Flax-seed meal flour
Vital wheat gluten
butter (i can't believe its not butter)
Egg & egg whites
Vanilla Extract
semi-sweet free choc chips,
Baking Powder
cocoa powder
For sweetener: stevia extract, monk fruit

Thanks
Bethy

So with the above ingredient I made a cookie which weighed only 50g, but wow they came out dry and not moist at all, they also came out very dark in color not like choc chip cookies, i tried to only make 50g to test the formula, pics are attached, plz advise what i did wrong, did i put something less/ more etc etc,

it was really hard to mix in the flours so i added more butter which gave me these results, i kept the butter low as i want it to have low fat content, look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Bethy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookie 1.jpg (45.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg cookie one.jpg (24.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by usa_chick : Mon, Feb-29-16 at 12:59.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 17:54

BF:
Progress:

come on guys please help me
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 20:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I don't think we can be of much more help; I don't believe there are any low-carb, low-fat chocolate chip cookie recipes here. Please consider following one of the proper low-carb plans that are supported here such as Atkins, Protein Power, Dr Bernstein's, etc. They are ALL appropriate for diabetics.

I would never try making cookies without plenty of fat; either butter or coconut oil. I would also never add flax seed to cookies. Flax has a nutty taste that lends itself well to buns or muffins for a "whole grain" type of taste, but not to treats like cookies.

Do as Rosebud suggested and look at the recipes for almond flour cookies, then add some chopped 90% Lindor chocolate for chocolate chunks. I would take bitter chocolate like that over sugar alcohols seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Chances are those sugar-free chocolate chips have maltitol, which is murder on my guts because they're partially absorbed - which means, as others have mentioned, you can not just subtract them from your carb count. Seriously - the small amount of real sugar in a Lindor bar or just plain Splenda is better.

You say you don't like almond flour, but it's mild flavoured and makes for the best baked goods. An alternative would be a coconut flour cookie recipe, but you absolutely MUST add lots of butter or other fat, because it is really dry.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-29-16, 22:54
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

A low fat cookie is always going to be dry, whether it's low or high carb - that's the nature of the beast.

Why do you want to follow a low fat plan anyway? It’s not at all healthy for you. Once you drastically lower carbs in your diet, you need fat for energy. And a low carb diet is not a "high protein diet", simply one containing adequate protein.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 12:55

BF:
Progress:

Hi guys, thank you for the post, well i was wanted to keep the fat down as i have high cholesterol, and i wanted to give it to my family, but when they ask what is the count of fat, carbs, protein, once they hear the fat is high they wont eat it, thus i wanted something with low fat/ carbs (only 1 net carb), OK protein amount, but high in fiber.