Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/188/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Thinking about CAD

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about CAD. I will be buying the book as soon as I can find it in my town. I just hate to order a $6 book mailorder and pay $5 shipping for it! UGH I am a carb addict and I know it. I decided a few weeks ago that Atkins wasnt working fast enough for me. I was at 175-180 for so long I was very discouraged. I started low fat/low cal dieting to try and see if that would work better. Well, I got to 174 but now for the past week or so I have been binging like a fool. I eat until I am sick and still want to eat more. I am totally out of control and so pi$$ed at myself I cant stand it anymore. I know the CAD is for carb addicts like myself, but I cant help but worry that it will only feed my cravings. I do know a little bit about the diet from reading here, no snacks, two low carb meals and one reward meal. I am thinking that even with my RMs I will still try to be somewhat low carb. I plan on adding fruit and maybe a WW cereal with milk as my reward, not sugary stuff. I just cant stay in control with them at all. I am miserable today and my head hurts, my stomach is all tore up and I feel like Im in a fog. I have also been smoking like a freight train when I had quit smoking when I was faithful to Atkins. I think CAD would be better suited to me since I could still have fruit once a day and some cereal maybe once or so a week. For those of you on CAD, have you been able to control your carbs successfully on CAD with still having them in you RM? Also I think I remember reading there were two books, which one should I get. Im thinking the newer one, but could someone give me the name? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 16:11

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I think CAD is a wonderful plan. I credit it for keeping me sane and happy about a WOE for the first time in my life. There are countless advantages such as eating a normal meal with your family, having things you desire, filling up faster than you thought you would and yes, staying in control. Part of the control factor is physical, but for me it is also very much emotional. I know that every 24 hours I can eat whatever I am craving. I can wait that long for anything and the longer I do CAD, the fewer foods I am craving. I love food, but it just isn't that constant priority in my life anymore. I don't deal with the guilt brought on by cheating, or the anger brought on by deprivation. It fits me perfectly.

Now, that said....it is NOT a fast way to lose weight. If you are looking for fast, you will not like CAD. It works, absolutely, but you must acquire a posture of patience. That becomes easier when you know how well you can eat and still lose.

You are allowed 1 snack (1/2 the size of a CM) if you need it. Some need it in the beginning, but your hunger subsides considerably and most do not need it for long. Do eat it if needed. You should not be hungry, but no...no snacking as in Atkins. They are different programs.

CAD is the first book. CALP is the newer. CALP (Carbohydrate Addict Life Plan) is a little more defined with the rules. I like CAD. It's a mixed bag here on who's on which. There's really not much difference.

Hope you decide to give it a try. I hope you are able to cut back on the smoking again too. There are a lot of people here willing to help. Check out some journals. They are the best resource especially in the beginning. Many of us post our menus daily.

Welcome,
Deb
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:22

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi Brisalee

CAD will not fuel your desire for carbs in fact it will do just the opposite, as long as you follow what the book says. It is an amazing diet.

My advice would be to read the book and make sure that you balance your RM. Don't just eat carbs only. Make sure that you have a nice big salad with your choice of dressing and protein, CM veggies and go ahead and have those carbs along with the rest of it.

Also as long as you don't include carbs during the day except for what comes with the CM veggies then you will be fine. I was so glad that I tried CAD and I think you will too.

I know when I first read the book I was so skeptical and thought this can't work, but I tried it and I was soooo glad that I did.

If you have any questions please ask us.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 09:54

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I would urge you to just go ahead and get whichever book you wish. How much money have you been spending on binges?
I bet a fraction of what the book costs.
And it's a very false economy when it comes to your health.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 12:44

Plan: Carb addicts, Atkins, Sou
Stats: 155/152/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Best of both worlds.

Hi,
I have read every book out there. I was having a lot of depression with atkins, , so I tried Southbeach. This was better, but I still felt like crap. So I took a look at everything, and have put a plan together that is part Hamptons, Part Lean fo Life, and Part CAD. ( two or three RWs a week instead of 1 per day. Does anyone see a scientific reason that this might not be good? ?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 21:28

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Actually Samm it sounds like a carb cycling type diet, I don't think it's bad.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 10:17
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Looks fine to me.