Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 10:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question Anyone using kettlebells? Any favorite workout videos?

First, a story: A little over a year ago I got the plastic Danskin 5lb kettlebell, which came with Gin Miller's Calorie Burner Workout DVD. I loved it and wanted to get the 10lb kettlebell, but I injured myself shoveling snow (ended up with tennis elbow) and the swinging motions were killing my arm, so I stopped. But every time I went to Walmart or Target I'd go look at the kettlebells and wistfully try swinging one with my left arm...and nope. I do the same with the light one at home.

Well, I've now gotten up to using 10lb dumbbells for about a month and when I swung the 5lb bell I felt okay. I went to Target and the 10lb options were the odd-shaped Bob Harper Contour Kettlebell (plus a Bob Harper DVD) and the Kettleworx 6 week makeover set with a 10lb kettlebell. I'd really wanted to try Kettleworx after seeing the infomercials, so I got that for about $62. Then on my way home my vehicle broke down and I had to be towed 40 miles home, so now I'm not sure if I should keep Kettleworx, since I didn't open it yet and once I get my Jeep running I can get my money back (which is almost a full tank of gas' worth).

Okay, I know that took forever. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else uses kettlebells. I lost my Gin Miller DVD so I went and got the 10lb Danskin kettlebell, even if it is plastic, because getting the package was only about 2 or 3 bucks more than buying the workout separately online. So I have a 10lb bell, but only the one DVD. I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations for me, and if anyone's tried Kettleworx. I read that the editing job in Kettleworx is bad (whenever you do a particular exercise it's always the same clip, in every workout, and it's not put together well, and also sometimes the reps are quite uneven per side), although some people still loved it. Advice?

I do plan to get a more traditional kettlebell when I progress to 15lbs...which I hope I do! As long as my elbow is okay, I love working with kettlebells!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 203/195/165 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there, I got into the best shape using kettlebells! My sister had come over one day (she was about 50 at the time) and had these incredible toned arms, that was about 3 years ago. I also purchased the Gin Miller DVD, however, her KB moves are more "artsy" (not sure how to describe it) compared to the real hard core KB moves. I used the 5 pound for a while and then went up to the 10 pound. Big difference in shaping your body. You will see a difference in your arms, shoulders, back, sides and stomach from just swinging that thing.
Other DVDs I've tried and liked were with Amy Bento for beginners, the Absolute Beginner 10 min workout (I think one of the best for beginners), you think she's hardly doing anything, but each time I sweat). Jillian's KB workout is a lot of up and down floor work, not for me.
You know, if you go on YouTube, you can find people practicing the basic moves of KB. That's how I learned a lot of moves and you really don't need a DVD. I sat and wrote down each exercise I found on YouTube, then just put on some music and did my own workout.
Give it 2 weeks of consistent KB work, and you will see a big difference in your body! I just motivated my own self to get back to it consistently. Let me know how it goes!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 12:12

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

http://www.myomytv.com/category/beg...ebell-workouts/

I love this site, and she has mix and match workouts so it never gets boring