Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 06:38

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 260/218/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default CoQ10??

So....although I have stellar ratios, my cholesterol is genetically low (for most of my life, total cholesterol was sub-100, in my 30's it jumped up to total around 120, which is where it is currently).

In the past, it was thought that low cholesterol wasn't a risk factor for much (other than some psychiatric issues--notably depression with a higher rate of suicidal ideation). Lately, though, we're seeing a lot more low cholesterol risk factors emerging (like Alzheimer's).

Although I don't know any good way to actually raise my cholesterol numbers, my guess is that one of the contibutory issues that could potentially be modified is that I likely also have a CoQ10 deficit. In that context, does anyone know of any good links/information (RCT's would be nice, but I don't know if they exist ) on the efficacy of CoQ10 supplementation?

I'm also open to thoughts/advice on how to get those cholesterol numbers up....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/152/135 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 41%

I won't say I know how to increase cholesterol, but here is a list of cholesterol high foods.

Egg Yolk
Caviar aka Fish Roe
Foie Gras and liver pates
Butter
Shrimps/prawns
Oil packed fish e.g. canned sardines, mackerel
Cheese
Shellfish
Crab cakes
Heavy whipping cream
Crayfish
Veal liver
Octopus and squid
Pork ribs
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 08:34

BF:

Thanks Mrs Plaia--the main issue with eating cholesterol-rich foods (and I do eat a lot of them) as a way to increase cholesterol is that dietary intake of cholesterol only accounts for a small fraction of your overall cholesterol level--it's mostly genetic. In addition, my cholesterol numbers historically have remained the same (with an improvement in ratios from good to great) when low carbing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 09:10

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

With CoQ10 supplementation, there are a variety of things you could try:

-- generally if you are about 45 or older, you will see better absorption rates from a ubiquinol product vs. the standard (and yes, cheaper) ubiquinone. Ubiquinol is the "active" form of CoQ10; your body will not have to convert it prior to usage. With the standard ubiquinone supplement it does need to be converted into ubiquinol prior to being used - as we get older this conversion process kind of breaks down, which is why ubiquinol can be more readily absorbed and used at times.
-- there are other supplements that optimize the usage of CoQ10; Jarrow Formulas makes a product called "Cell Reset MB" (it's been discontinued, but some online sellers have some left - we have some left at work in our "discontinued" section too) that is good for this but once again expensive.

Cell Reset MB
Ubiquinol
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-14, 06:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingMe16
With CoQ10 supplementation, there are a variety of things you could try:

-- generally if you are about 45 or older, you will see better absorption rates from a ubiquinol product vs. the standard (and yes, cheaper) ubiquinone. Ubiquinol is the "active" form of CoQ10; your body will not have to convert it prior to usage. With the standard ubiquinone supplement it does need to be converted into ubiquinol prior to being used - as we get older this conversion process kind of breaks down, which is why ubiquinol can be more readily absorbed and used at times.
-- there are other supplements that optimize the usage of CoQ10; Jarrow Formulas makes a product called "Cell Reset MB" (it's been discontinued, but some online sellers have some left - we have some left at work in our "discontinued" section too) that is good for this but once again expensive.

Cell Reset MB
Ubiquinol

Thanks LosingMe16! I'm 38, do you think I'd still be better off with the ubiquinol form? The cost isn't really an issue--I just want what will be more beneficial.