Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 20:30

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default watch out!

Pineslayer ... Diabetics are contraindicated from taking ephedra based products. Most ephedra products carry a warning label that reads something like this:

"Consult a physician if you have any of the following conditions before using this product: heart disease, pregnant/nursing, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, kidney disease, diabetes, prostate enlargement, depression, or have any medical problem that requires taking medication. DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE ASTHMA."

The reason for diabetics is the sudden change in blood suagr levels that may occur when using an ephedra-based product.

Play at your own risk!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 05:22

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Post Diabetes and Metabolift

Dan,

Thanks for replying.

I seached the internet for 'ephedra caffeine diabetes' All I could find was warning against, but not why. Being an inquisitive sort of person, possibly a masochist , and able to monitor my blood glucose levels, I am going to see what it actually does.

In a post dated Feb-23-02, titled ok... in this thread, you said:
Quote:
As for generics, the old tried and true is to take 20 mg of ephedrine hydrochloride, 200mg caffeine, and (if you want) 81 to 200mg aspirin.

The brand I already have (it's several years old, but there's no expiration date on it) is Metabolift (Mahuang Extract 334 mg; Guarana Extract 910 mg; Chromium Picolinate 200 mcg). It contains White Willow Bark Extract, not aspirin.

Should I add 1/2 of a 325 gr aspirin tablet with each dose? Or was recommendation per day? Or is the White Willow Bark Extract sufficient? I'm starting with 1 Metabolift before breakfast and lunch.

I'll track my bg, see what it does, and post it in my journal, unless people would like to see it here?

My normal body temp is between 96 and 97, so I want to get some ThyroLean. I couldn't find it at my health food store yesterday, so I will order it from www.VitaminShoppe.com.

Again, thank your for your time and caring.

Last edited by PineSlayer : Wed, May-29-02 at 14:17.
  #123   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: modified bfl
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default thermogenic question

Hi Everyone,

I have been taking a thermogenic for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I have also been working out at least 5 hrs a week & am following pp. I weigh 127 & would like to loose 5 lbs. My question is : do thermogenics work for everyone? It dosent seem to be working for me. I was wondering if it has anything to do with the caffeine. Before taking the thermogenic, I had no caffeine in my diet. I heard that caffeine can stop weight lose. Or is it because I have only 5 lbs to loose & it takes longer? I have read up on therogenics & the one I am taking seems to have all the "right stuff" in it.

Thanks shae

Last edited by shae : Wed, May-29-02 at 10:36.
  #124   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default re: Shae's thermo question

This is not an answer, but in relation to your question I have tried thermogenics four different times (different brands) and while they certainly gave me an energy high, I did not experience ANY weight loss... maybe it is an individual thing, maybe my body does not like caffeine. (well I know it doesn't)
I am about to try (it should arrive in the mail tomorrow) Guggulbolic, or something with a similar name. I am hoping it will help with these last few pounds that exercise does not want to touch.
Good luck!
Meg
  #125   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 18:58

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default willow

White willow bark = aspirin
  #126   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 09:12
Registered Member

BF:

Hey MEG S

Thanks for the response. Let us know if Guggulbolic works!

shae
  #127   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 10:29

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Diabetes (or just me), Metabolift and Thyrolean

Based on the past two days, Metabolift seems to be okay for me, but Thyrolean raises my blood sugar, gives me a headache, and generates huge carb cravings.
if you're interested in the details, see page 2 of my journal.

I'm still experimenting, it's too early to have a definitive answer yet.
  #128   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 260/225/170
BF:30%/20%/10%
Progress: 39%
Question thermogenics

Hi all,

I am confused.......

Your talking about thermogenics. Is this taking products like Metabolife or Dexatrim etc. If you are on the Atkins Diet and also using Protein Powder, why would you want to also take those pills. Arent you doing to much to your body at once. May sound like a crazy question but?????

I took metabolife for awhile before starting Atkins and I didnt care for it. Yes it gave me more energy but it also made me chittery and also didnt see much result.

If anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Pam
  #129   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 11:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

I am on Atkins and just started taking thermogenics. The reason is that my metabolism is so messed up from a combination of years of not eating enough calories and also from stopping smoking. I stall for very long periods of time, then tend to lose a couple of pounds only to regain them a few days later. My body temperature is very low -- between 96 and 97, confirming that my metabolism is messed up.

I am hoping the thermogenics will boost my metabolism and get the weight loss going.
  #130   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 11:41
Registered Member

Unhappy ahhhhhhhhh

Your subject here interest me but I am lost.

What book are we talking about ? Can you spell out what we should be taking exactly? Or better yet what are you taking exactly and what is your current condition? (lost all your wait and this is maintenance or in the middle of loosing weight).

Now that 20 questions is over. I am looking for something to help speed up the weight loss. Is this what Iam looking for?

Pam
  #131   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 13:29
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Pam,

Sorry I'm confused too.... Are you talking about my post "Hi Everyone"?

shae
  #132   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 14:06
Registered Member

Red face

Yes Shae,

You were talking about thermogenic products. Also Trainerdan
was too. I just trying to get all this info and see what to do next. Be confused with me

Pammysue
  #133   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 14:26
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Pam

The info I read on thermogenics is from this web site:
drumlib.com It has lots of info on different products.
As far as far as my current condition, I am finding as I'm getting older (40) & already perimenopausal, that 5 lbs I always meant to get rid of is now 10lbs. I've been following atkins & pp but seem to be stuck. Hopeing this will help. Seems thermogenics have helped some people.

shae
  #134   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 06:04

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default Re: Fern?

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyd
Now how do we know that was really you???

Too funny!
Maybe Dan was trying to confuse everyone! LOL Really me now.... Dan is at work at this time!
  #135   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 07:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/137/135
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am new to the forum but started lc-ing in July. From the information in this thread I started taking Hydroxycut in March. All I can say is I lost 11 pounds in one month. I recently stopped for two weeks and started taking Thyrolean. I have since lost another 5 pounds. I am eating the same amount, probably more. I have tried to follow TrainerDan's advice to the letter (thanks by the way) and it works!! Since March 3 people at my gym have said that they have noticed a big difference in my muscle tone, including my instructor. I just thought I would share this with anyone who is considering thermogenics but not sure about taking them. They did work for me, but that is not necessarily the case for everyone. Thank you everyone for the great advice in this forum.