Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 13:36

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Isn't that always the way???

Quote:
Originally posted by goblins
But we can't make good decisions without all the facts. Thanks for the "flip-side"....

Exactly! Before you start something as important as LC or taking a supplement or buying a house you should have ALL the facts

Nat
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 19:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/145/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

I have been using the ECA stack combination for a while now, I didn't know that mahuang can enhance depression, I don't want nothing else putting on to my occasional depression. Well I am going to read the articles on this stuff, and stop using it maybe I will be able to feel better just LCing. I know that this ECA combination is not good for my health in the long run, but I guess I been so caught up and anxious in reaching my goal size that I haven't realize what this stuff can really do to my body.
I noticed that when I stop using this stuff for a day or two I get into these mood swings and feeling sluggish that I begin eating more (lots of junk food *carbs*). Maybe once I stay away from this stuff and let my body function normally, I will feel better and keep on track with my Low Carb plan.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 19:12

Stats: 169/156/147
BF:
Progress:
Default Is it OK for me to take Thermadrene?

Please let me know if Thermadrene would be OK to take whilst Low Carbing...

Appreciate the help...
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 20:32

BF:

MB, Thermadrene contains an ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine and an asprin precursor). The main ingredient being Ephedrine. An People use an ECA stack to increase alertness, speed up metabolism, aid weight loss, enhanced athletic performance and increase mental sharpness.

Because ephedrine acts as a general sympathetic nervous system stimulant, it can give users a “boost” or “pick up” similar to what you might feel after a cup or two of strong coffee. By mimicking the effects of epinephrine, ephedra can increase the output of blood from the heart, enhance muscle contractility, raise blood sugar levels and open bronchial pathways for easier breathing. In many cases, ephedra can result in a temporary suppression of appetite, which may help efforts aimed at dietary restriction and weight loss.

There is a thread here about ECA that you should read over, but whether you should take it or not will depend on your health. The warning lable on Thermadene is quite long (and I have included it below) and you should not take it if you have any of the pre-existing conditions described. If you are in a position to try it I suggest starting off with a very low dosage (one third or one quarter the daily recommended dose) as your reaction to it may be quite strong.

Quote:
Virtually all dietary supplements that contain ephedra-alkaloids also carry a strong warning on their labels which reads:
Women who are pregnant or nursing should avoid using ephedra-containing products. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid using ephedrine-containing products if you have high blood pressure, heart or thyroid disease, diabetes, difficulty in urination due to prostate enlargement, or if taking monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors or any other prescription drug. Reduce or discontinue use if nervousness, tremor, irritability, rapid heartbeat, sleeplessness, loss of appetite, or nausea occur.

HTH,
Nat
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 01:39

Stats: 169/156/147
BF:
Progress:

Thank you. I took a capsule yesterday and I did seem a little "amped" up. I was just wondering if it was safe to use it now & then so thanks for your reply. I might take it for a big sporting competition coming up and see what happens...
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 19:16

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default THERMOGENIC INFO: Xenadrine, Hydroxycut, Ripped Fuel, Diet Fuel, Metabolife, AdipoK

I am made this thread as a "greatest hits" of all of the thermogenic questions/threads that are around and putting them all in one place.

That way, there is only one place to look and get all of the info.

I consulted with Ms. IslandGirl from way over in the low-carb products forum, so this will be a joint venture.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 16:54
Registered Member

Stats: 154/150/119
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Xenadrine & Synephrine

Hi its been really enlightning reading this thread, Im from the Uk and have just recived details about Xenadrine in the post it looked interesting and it mentioned that it has had great success in the US. and after readind this thread I can see just how popular it is, I would love to try it as I have just given up smoking and Iam fighting at the moment to keep from putting any weight on, never mind gettin it says that g it off. On the bottom of the advert it says ...........Quote, The EEC formulation of Xenadrine contains Synephrine which may result in a small reduction in benifit but a probable greatly enhanced safety profile.

Have they spoilt it for us here? I cant afford to be throwing money at somthing that isnt going to work, or should I hold fire untill I go to Canada in a couple of months and get the real thing.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:01

BF:
Default Re: Xenadrine & Synephrine

Quote:
Originally posted by Carol LeFa
The EEC formulation of Xenadrine contains Synephrine which may result in a small reduction in benifit but a probable greatly enhanced safety profile.

Have they spoilt it for us here? I cant afford to be throwing money at somthing that isnt going to work, or should I hold fire untill I go to Canada in a couple of months and get the real thing.

Carol, you might want to read this thread

I would suggest holding off until you're here - but be warned products with ephedra in them at a dosage higher than 8mg (which is just about all of them) have been taken off the shelves in Canada. You can, however, usually get them if you ask (they are kept behind the counter)

Nat
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:47
Registered Member

Stats: 154/150/119
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Bugs.....Bugs.......Bugs........

Well it just goes to show you, the EEC thinks were BUGS Im soooo glad that I asked for help on this one, I will hold on untill I get to Banff, and while hubby is confrencing I will be pharmacy
hunting.

Thanks Nat, for all your help.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 14:48
Registered Member

Stats: 210/210/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sadai

Hi Sadai !

Glad that you got back to me. I had written a question saying that I can see that you have done quite well in losing weight and that you said that Hydroxycut helped you, and that you love it.. I was wondering if you could tell me more about how Hydroxycut has helped you? Has it helped? is there a noticed difference when using as compared to just dieting?? I am just really interested in trying this, and I am looking for as much information as possible..

Take care!
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 02:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/193/138 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 19%

This information was great, but does anyone know what I could take if I was allergic to asprin?
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 07:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsu
This information was great, but does anyone know what I could take if I was allergic to asprin?

I would say 'No' - the A in ECA is asprin (as either asprin or a derivative).

Nat
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/193/138 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 19%
Talking

I guess I have to do it the old fasion way.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 15:00

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default just EC will work

MRSU ...

Most of the studies shown place great emphesis on the EC portion of the ECA stack. The ephedrine/caffeine combination is the major duo in the fat burning department.

If you are going to take an herbal preparation, look for ones without aspirin, white willow bark, or anything that is standardized for salicyin (?) content.

BetaLean by EAS doesn't contain any aspirin related ingredients, so that's an option for you.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 20:46
Registered Member

Stats: 345/316/220 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 23%

Welcome back from your vacation Dan,

I've read through this thread a few times trying to figure out what to get, etc... Most of your recommendations are fairly dated. Can you give us your top 3 recommended brand names for an ECA stack to buy? Are generic just as good? Any brandnames you would recommend staying away from?

Thanks,

Mike