Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 21:34
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hiya Coco! How many carbs are you guesstimating doing per day now?

Any of you experimented with Carbquick? I just got my order today, and made these:

I adapted an older pumpkin scone recipe I had to this LC version. They turned out excellent, very moist. Not a sweet dessert type scone, but excellent with a dollop of whipped cream and a hot mug of coffee.

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones

2 cups Carbquick
1 Tbs butter
2 packets of Splenda (or more if you would like them sweeter, original recipe called for 1 Tbs sugar)
3/4 cup canned pumpkin, cold
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbs heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh cranberries, halved

Heat oven to 425.
Cut butter into Carbquick, add the Splenda, pumpkin, egg, and cream. Incorporate the ingredients well, but do not over mix. Gently fold in cranberries. Shape dough into 10 balls, place on a buttered cookie sheet, and press down gently, smoothing the outer edges. Brush tops with additional heavy cream if desired.
Bake on middle rack for 10-15 minutes.

Serve warm with butter and/or whipped cream.

Yield: 10 scones
4 net carbs each
10 fiber

I already ate 2 today Stayed within my carb limit, and they are pretty low cal, and they have veggie/fruit carbs in them.. can you tell I'm making excuses? I'm keeping a few out for breakfasts through the weekend, but I HAVE to freeze the rest.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 22:19
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

Sounds good, 4 beans.... do you know how many calories? Also, what is carbquick, and where do you get it? I have never heard of it....
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 22:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Beans,

I would guestimate around 30-60 carbs per day. I'm really big on cottage cheese right now, which is about 5 carbs per 1/2 cup (some days I eat 2 or 3 servings!). I love it with a little splenda and some crushed macadamia nuts..plus, its great for protein! I also usually eat an lc tortilla each day, either as a wrap for lunch or a quesadilla or lc pizza for dinner. So, at the moment, those 2 things and mass quantities of veggies are were I'm getting the bulk of my carbs.

Your scones look WONDERFUL! I have been actively watching the Carbquick thread and I'm absolutly dying to get my hands on some. I live in Southern Indiana, where it is supposedly availible in grocery stores but I have yet to see it appear. I check every time I'm at the store though! It sounds like the best thing to hit lc since dreamfield's pasta (of which I am also a big fan). If and when I do get my hands on some, you can better I'm gonna try that scone recipe

Recapping today...
B: Q-Smart Cranberry Almond granola bar w/ pb
L: Chicken/Brocolli/Chedder melt in a lc tortilla
S: Cottage cheese w/ splenda and mac nuts
D: Shrimp mock-fried rice (my favorite )
D: 4 Joseph's sugar-free brownie bites and a glass of vanilla soy slender soy milk
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 07:20

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Hi. Typical me, I find this thread on page 4 and had to backtrace through it all, but I love this and really hope that it becomes a genuine chat/support thread.

About me: Australian, early 20s, very busy as full time law student and 3 day a week office job in political lobby group, live with bf,

About diet:
Had my one year Atkins aniversery recently, maintaining maybe 6 months.
Last 6 weeks guestimate 2000+ calories and 150g of carb (always less then 200g), GI controlled (yes I call this Atkins)
Currently not exercising since I got SICK and then hit finals etc - but over summer get back into it. Usually run 2-3X a week weights 2X a week, calories aim for 2500+, 100g+ of protein.

Question:
I am suprised that the calories given by most people seem to be (comparatively) quite low. I wonder if that is just the calories you always ate at maintainence, or if you know that if you eat more you gain?
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 08:14
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

Quote:
do you know how many calories? Also, what is carbquick, and where do you get it? I have never heard of it....

The recipe, broken down into 10 portions, each came to:

111 calories
7 grams fat
4 net carb
10 fiber
6 protein

I have been watching Carbquick threads on various forums, and have been researching it for quite a while. I finally decided to order some earlier this week from Netrition, it was delievered yesterday at 3:00, and I had scones in the oven by 3:20. I couldn't wait to try it. I enjoyed 2 yesterday, and am still in ketosis today, no bloating, no cravings, did not induce hunger after I ate them. All things I was worried about and watching for. My body isn't complaining about the extra fiber either.

Last edited by 4beans4me : Fri, Nov-05-04 at 12:58. Reason: spelling
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 08:20
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

Thanks for the info Coco! Gives me hope that maybe I can work my way up that high with my carbs too.

Hiya mb! WTG with your success!

Quote:
I am suprised that the calories given by most people seem to be (comparatively) quite low. I wonder if that is just the calories you always ate at maintainence, or if you know that if you eat more you gain?

I know that for me, my calories next to yours are so much lower, because I don't exercise, and currently, I am keeping things low(er) with the hopes that I can give myself a few pound buffer of sorts, for the holidays, and my vacation in January.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 10:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Hi 4beans, I always wondered what your name meant!

I knew. I spent quite a bit of time working in a neonatal intensive care unit, and our little patients were often referred to as, 'peanut', 'bean', 'pumpkin'...

Hey Becki, there's a lady who inquired about more recipes for Carbquick, so if you come up with any more winners, maybe you could pop on over to the Kitchen Help forum and share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itty
For those Canadians out there, I bought a BIG TIM mug from time hortons'.

I always joked with TH's staff, "could I have a whole pot, please?" I guess they got that request often enough that they caved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle
Hey Kristen have you tried your salmon patty recipe with caned crab meat?

I'm not a crab fan... but I'll take your word for it that it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb99

In my case, I tend to be at 1200-1600 most days. It varies. I'm not very active at all lately, so I don't need any more.

Have a great day, folks! TGIF!!
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 10:26
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

Quote:
I always joked with TH's staff, "could I have a whole pot, please?"

#54   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 12:50
Forum Moderator

BF:

... this was when I worked midnights.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 12:56
Smilie Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb99
Question:

Unfortunately, if I eat more, I gain. I excercise quite a bit, so I don't think the problem is necessarily my metabolism. I think it is more hormonal. I just stopped taking bp pills, so maybe that will help. I am so envious.... oh to eat 2000+ calories a day.... that would be heaven!

Thanks for the info, 4beans. I will have to check it out. If it has too much fiber, I may be in trouble. One of the things I have discovered is that my body does not like grains. The whole grains bloat me up to the point I look 6 months pregnant and the refined carbs mess with my blood sugar. For carbs I have been eating things like corn and potatoes. I have no objection to experimenting, however

And yes.... TGIF
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 13:44
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

Any fun plans this weekend you guys?
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 16:43
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

Well, my plans... tomorrow night we are becoming godparents to my best friends daughter. She is having a very high-carb-nothing-will-be remotely-acceptable-get together afterwards, at which I will avoid all food, and eat when I get home.

Sunday, unsure of. DH wants to clean out the garage and get all of the kids' toys/bikes/junk from the summer put away. Not something I feel like doing.. maybe HE should do it, since it was HIS idea?
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 17:45
Smilie Queen

My dad is visiting tomorrow and Sunday there is an event for the Women's Guild I belong to, to help raise money for my son's school - I am sure it will be a high carb sugarfest of epic proportions. I will let you know how I do.... I don't PLAN on eating anything. The trick will be to eat before I go.

Yes, 4beans, your husband should do it.... isn't the garage their domain? Although, since mine works so much, I will be doing mine myself soon.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 17:47
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

*YAWN*.. sheesh.. what a week....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think I won't do any work tonight.... tomorrow and/or Sunday I'll have a fair number of hours I have to put in AGAIN!

Sorry everyone.. I'll be more sociable in about a week and a half!

Mike
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 22:43
Forum Moderator

BF:

I plan on getting caught up on some housework this weekend, and b/f is taking me out to the Indian restaurant tomorrow.

'nite, all!