Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 20:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Fortunately that cake was un-wolfable, by me. I simply couldn't eat too much of it or I'd probably explode. I find coconut flour works the same way on me, it's like swallowing a sponge.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 21:38

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Have any of you ever seen Blaine Jelus on Fit TV ?As a chef his weight got to over 400 and he went LC and started to lose weight so He started a cooking show where he would cook low carb foods and he had a blogsite on Fit tv website ..well the more weight he lost the more "cheating" he would do to where I tune into his show and the menu is Tiramisu,pumpkin cheesecake and LC pizza oh welll he used soy flour so that made them lc recipes..so the next thing I find out is he started gaining the weight back and "lost faith"that LC was the correct WOL..he ended up in deep depression stopped answering on the blog site and I havent heard anything of him since .I hope and pray that he went back to what worked in the beginning ...proper LC .
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 11:41
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I've only read his blog just a few times, but I have to say one thing that I really like about Jimmy Moore - and it's his willingness to try new things, being willing to interview all kinds of people. He seems to have an open mind about all kinds of variations on the low-carb theme. I get the feeling he is trying to bring all kinds of interesting things to his readers.

And guess what else? And this, to me, is the true sign of eventual success - he is willing to fail. This is a relatively new concept for me, but I came across an article written by Martha Beck, about how failing is winning.

Here's a little quote:

Quote:
I've noticed that the primary difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is that the successful people fail more. If you see failure as a monster stalking you, or one that has already ruined your life, take another look. That monster can become a benevolent teacher, opening your mind to successes you cannot now imagine. ~ Martha Beck, in her article, "The Woman Who Fell to Earth" in Oprah Magazine

from: http://www.oprah.com/article/omagaz...ag_200712_mbeck

I can't really speak to the advertising or what have you, because I don't read the blog all that often, but I admire people who are making mistakes, who are able to talk about them and through them - then go back to the drawing board, and just plain stick around. In my opinion, there is a whole lot of learning in these 'failures'. I also happen to like people who have an open mind about other people's plans, even if that particular plan doesn't work for everyone.

That said, I would have to agree that losing/limiting frankenfoods on *any* low-carb plan at all will help a great deal. I think that everyone has their own way of eventually getting to this point.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 13:14

Plan: HighFat/LC
Stats: 160/158/135 Female 5' 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I guess I'm just scratching my head

Jimmy's had such great success and has been such an inspiration getting the LC gospel out there, I guess I just want to shout--dude, go back and read the book--climb that carb ladder and ditch all frankenfoods and faux products!

I'm just puzzeled...that's all.

That's what I get for being bored and thinking I'll entertain myself with a couple of blogs.

Lisa

I have listened to almost every podcast interview Jimmy has done and really appreciate what he has done for the LC community, but I will not apologize for his poor choices.

This very subject has been discussed ad nauseum in an over 800 page thread at ZIOH. It was very interesting and I ended up reading over 500 pages myself. I learned more about what Jimmy eats and how he responds to attacks on his menu than any person who has a life should probably know.

The consensus there is basically that Jimmy is addicted to "Sweet." And he gets most of this satisfied in the form of the frankenfood goodies that he gets for free and promotes in order to make his living.

The theory is that the "sweet" taste from artificial sweeteners actually causes some people to release insulin, which in turn causes the body to store fat-just like glucose.

Another is that he does not eat enough calories for a man his size/build and this "starvation" is causing more cravings and wrecking havoc on his metabolism.

And then there is just plain ole carb creep.

I do not like that he repeatedly says that sugar has not touched his lips in years- bc it is not true. For example, in his menus he was eating a lot of whipped cream from a spray can that had HFCS as one of the first ingredients, and one time he said there were no LC desserts to choose from so he just decided to order the cheesecake.

One thing is for sure-he is going to have to implement some changes and do something different than what he has been doing in order to reverse his weight gain, and I certainly wish him all the luck in the world.

Last edited by svince6 : Sat, Jan-02-10 at 13:25.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 13:30
I've decided

That was a really good post Stacy. Lots of good food for thought in there.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 15:21
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Stacy--could you point me to a link regarding that discussion. I went over to the blog, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

It might be an interesting read, although I don't know if I'll read all 800 pages
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 18:27

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I, too have read the entire thread, Stacy. It was interesting, wasn't it? It certainly gave me things to think about.

As far as reading the thread, you're out of luck Lisa......the thread has been blocked from non-members and now you basically have to apply to be a member of the site - as I understand it, they only want people who are following zero carb to be members/participants.

It will be interesting to watch and see what happens with The Jimster. I see today he still is only admitting a 'slight' gain. I think if I'd regained 50 pounds, I'd define it differently but that's just me.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 18:58

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

ZIOH is not 'blocked'. Anyone can read anything they want on that forum. Non-members cannot post, that is the only thing....

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/...ead.php?tid=364
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 19:29
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by margot
ZIOH is not 'blocked'. Anyone can read anything they want on that forum. Non-members cannot post, that is the only thing....

Thanks Margot!

I saw your pics on the before/progress/after thread. Those pics are impressive!

Last edited by cnmLisa : Sat, Jan-02-10 at 20:20.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 20:20
Every day is day one

BF:

Holy Moly--I got thru 17 pages from the ZC forum.

The drama!!

When I started this thread, I had no idea of what had gone on in the past--I told you guys I hardly ever read his blog---those were just my own musings from the other day and from a quick perusal because I had nothing better to do--note to self...get a life.

Makes me want to go sweet free/franken food free forever Luckily I can think of only one frankenfood I eat on a regular basis--I'll have to evaluate my "sweet".

I guess the addict doesn't know he's an addict because he's an addict and can quit any time (OK, if you understand that one....)

Lisa
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 20:29

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by margot

I agree.....ZIOH is not blocked. That particular thread was blocked at one point but appears to be available for all to read now.

My error. Sorry.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 20:53
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I don't think any frankenfood is low carb. No fake pasta noodles, no fake cake, etc. It does not have to be just meat and water, but it has to be a food with one at most 2 ingredients (i.e. beef, broccoli, pork, asparagus).

Low carb is about natural low carb foods, not pretending that carbohydrates are still fine and a "reward," so we should make "fake" carbs to eat because we are "deprived."
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 21:05
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowcarb
I don't think any frankenfood is low carb. No fake pasta noodles, no fake cake, etc. It does not have to be just meat and water, but it has to be a food with one at most 2 ingredients (i.e. beef, broccoli, pork, asparagus).

Low carb is about natural low carb foods, not pretending that carbohydrates are still fine and a "reward," so we should make "fake" carbs to eat because we are "deprived."

I *really* like this.

I am not a 'zero carber', but I really do appreciate hearing from those who are. There's a lot of wisdom and insight here, and I'm very glad that there are lots of zero carbers around these forums.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

If you go back to the initial LC books like Banting and 1972 Atkins, it was about going back to how we were supposed to be eating for optimal health. It was about reclaiming our genetic destiny, our history. Low carb "products" have destroyed this health aspect. It makes carbohydrates a reward or a game. It is not about getting OVER your addiction to carbs, but it is now about "tricking" your body with fake carbs, fake sugars. You will never be free eating that way.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 22:56

Plan: Low-carb/High-Fat
Stats: 345/335/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowcarb
It is not about getting OVER your addiction to carbs, but it is now about "tricking" your body with fake carbs, fake sugars. You will never be free eating that way.

This is true. My mother and I were discussing this this morning. We both realized that if we want a piece of cake (or something carb-filled), then let's go do it, get it done, and be over with it, as otherwise, trying to do low-carb treats, here and there, just seems to suck us back into full carb addiction.

I like and miss sweets, but right now, neither the "real stuff" nor the low-carb substitutes serve me.