Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#3076   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 09:01

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi all!

I just realized, reading your posts, that it is Monday. I think I thought it was the weekend or something. ALL the days are blending in together. I mean, I would have realized it eventually.. Dh did go to work today. He was off pretty much all last week though and will be off Tues and Weds so we are getting a lot of time with him this holiday season!

I have been in sort of a weird funk. I think doing Xmas Eve and Xmas, then the dinner theater the following night, then the NYC trip the next day, just absolutely kicked my butt. Then DS17 became DS18 on Saturday and I had a total Mom Fail and didn't get him a cake bc he was working and didn't really indicate he wanted to do anything for his bday etc. When he came home from work (at 9PM) and realized there was no cake, he was sorely disappointed. DH, bless him, ran out and got an angel food cake, raspberries and cool whip, and we sang etc but I just felt awful. Truth is I was too dang tired to give a crap about his birthday. I am still upset with myself about it.

Anyway DS18 has a friend over spending the night (no sound from them yet) and DS21 is at a friend's house spending the night. Actually, the two boys are brothers, how funny is that? Brothers having sleepovers with brothers, but they split houses. When DS21 comes home I need to take him to get a new license. His expired while he was out of the country.

Moving on...

Jaz, you could definitely take a train or bus to NYC or DC. Bus is cheaper than train but train avoids any traffic etc. You could also visit Philadelphia and the Inner Harbor in Baltimore as well. All good places to go for a weekend.

I am happy that you are starting to feel settled in a bit. No doubt it totally was shocking!!

Trig, yeah I have no problem with a long drive although I find now that 5-6 hours tends to be as much as I want to do at any one time. It is the 3.15 hours, plus a day of walking, then 3.15 hours more that was just too much. The day was too full!

I wish you safe travels and a wonderful quick getaway! Love that you have more options to wear from shopping your closet, and I have no doubt that you will lose even more and get to buy some new stuff too! I should buy your old flannels off of you as you get to skinny for them!

I had to laugh at your description of Bolt and that yurping sound dogs make when they are about to puke. And ALWAYS on the carpet. Whyyyyyy?!

Blue- Joining you at the January 2 demarcation line. I don't get the morning hungries when I am off plan but I do feel bloated and tubby.

I am with you on 'you can't take it with you.' Deffo want to leave something for the kids, but otherwise I am all about spending money on experiences and travel. That is the best use of money for me!

Lori- So glad that you have had such a nice time with your sister. I hope she has a safe drive back. Still foggy and gray here this morning.

•••

Relatively low key going into the New Year here. We will do a brunch type thing on New Years day, and NYE we will do our Crazy Dinner and Games with the kids before they head out for a bit. DH and I may get to go to bed before midnight, which I don't think I would mind, but we'll see what if anything DS18 has planned. If he will still be here we will likely stay up with him, so he doesn't feel abandoned. We'll see.

Have a good day, All!
Sponsored Links
  #3077   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 17:52

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Nic- You are so not mom fail. Hey for the record you are an AWESOME mom! You were tired. I know DS now 18 knows this. He know how busy you have been. Welcome to being an adult. Maybe you could sit down and tell him you feel badly and want him to be celebrated when you all are more rested. Then tell him you will take him out as a belated birthday and it is not less forgotten- but a better time and you adore him?????
Just a thought. He just might go for it!!

IT IS MONDAY in so many ways! sighhhhhhhhhhhh
So cool though you got a chance to spend some good time with your DH!!!!
Are things calming down with the IL's????? Hope so!
Nice that things are winding down. Sure sounds like you could use a few days!!!!!!

TRIG-
SAFE travels!!!!! We of course we will want full report! HAHAHAH

Lori- sounds like you and your sister had a great time. You are getting back to business! YEA!!!! - When do you go to work?!

Blue- I wonder if it is another party night. goodness girl- your social life puts my to shame! HAHAHAHAHA- Enjoy your holiday! Jan 2 will be here soon enough!
----------------------------------------------------
Exhausted- worked though my lunch and worked late. Over time. I am too tired to get into it- nor do I want to. I put it at the door.
It was just very busy- 2 call outs and under staffed and I am carrying a full load. We all, and myself included didn't get a lunch either and clocked it as no lunch. Crazy busy. People decompose after major holidays and that is what we are seeing.
I had the "pleasure" (not) to sit down and tell some guy his mother needs Hospice. The staff were afraid, and the few doctors who will are far and few between. I told him what to expect.
Sat with him as he processed that, helped him though that. I told I would help him get though this process. He appreciated straight talk and I helped him get the right level of care. He actually seemed relieved she will get comfort care, as she should being 100 years old- and that is no joke. My grandmother was 96 and the doctors wanted to put her on chemo- what are they thinking????

I then called the doctor and told her what I did. She was so very happy she didn't have to break it to him. (wuss) - anyway I got the orders and that family is on the right path of dignity. I know that conversation is not easy for some people- but dear goodness aren't doctors supposed to do that. I am maybe way too ok giving that news. I am so pro Hospice. Anyway I said I wasn't going to talk about it!!!!!!

Food- was so good today. Left over turkey and green beans. Small portion on green beans- I finished off the sloppy Joe for lunch- dang was it good.
Carbs in good shape.
Came back to condo, ripped off bra (first thing I do) jammies on and I will turn in early. The pup got the same holiday dinner I had too. She is passed out at my feet. full belly and petting and she is out! HAHAHA-
WHEN I DIE I WANT TO COME BACK AS HER!!!! - Spoiled thing.

Ok- time to find something new to watch-
Working out is out the window tonight. - On my feet all day.

Last edited by Jaz66 : Mon, Dec-30-19 at 18:25.
  #3078   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 19:48

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Wow Jaz......you had a rough day! Sounds like you are making a big difference in this little hospital already. Awesome! Hospice is a wonderful thing....there comes a time that it is so needed.

I don't have a start date for my little part-time job yet. I'll just wait to hear from the director. I'm in no hurry.

Sis got home ok this morning. I was relieved when I got the text that she was home.

I had a good Chiro appt. Doc said she can tell things are vastly improved just in the past month since I've seen her. I'll go back in 6 weeks and just keep doing my yoga etc......just keep it moving is the best medicine.

Wanted to ask you all if you want me to start a new thread for the new year? I can start a new one for 2020 on Wednesday and I can put the link in the last post of this thread. What do you think?

Have a good night!
  #3079   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 20:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all.

Jaz---Oh, you are so good at what you do. I can actually see your liquid brown and empathetic eyes as you told this fellow it was time to find his mother a peaceful passing. 100 years old and he's wondering?!

Actually, from what I've seen, no it's not the doctor's job to place patients where they belong post hospital treatment. It is the job of---well, someone like you. And to be honest, I kind of understand that. Doctors get a bad rap and some deserve it, but many don't. They are not schooled in the best rehab, hospice, assisted living places. To know these things is a job in itself, as you are finding out. And a very important one.

When my mom was in and out of the hospital for all kinds of reasons and so many times over so many years, it was people doing your job that I just wanted to hug and DID. Multiply her times hundreds at every hospital, and no Docs can't take this on too.

I say this because I hope you feel how very important what you're doing is, and in fact, might be an area of specialty for you as a traveling nurse. Much needed I'm sure, and I think you have what it takes to do it. Not easy BUT SO NEEDED.

(((((Nic))))))---Man, there is nothing worse than feeling you were somehow a "bad mom" for a minute. Just pinches my heart to hear you feeling that way, but in your shoes, I know I would have too, to be honest. Hard when a kid's B'day is so very close to Xmas. One tries to make it all even, but fact is it's very hard to fight the aftermath of the Tsunami of the holidays!

I'm sure you had gifts for him etc., and I'm also sure he doesn't doubt the love of his fierce mama. Not even for a cake-less moment. And he DID get his cake, thanx to the fierce love of his papa.

All in all, I'd say your son is one lucky kid, but I can understand his disappointment and your blues that you missed one ball out of so many pitched to moms day in and day out...even when they've grown up. Hope you are close to letting it go as I type. Good lesson for T. Mom's aren't perfect, Dad's aren't perfect. Good for him to know this, as some day he'll be doing the job himself.

Lori---So happy to hear the Chiro sees so much improvement. You have done a bravo job of seeking every possible way to get that improvement. I am very impressed by the multiple ways you've sought to overcome your shoulder injury, and seems you've mostly done it on your own steam and research.

Trig---Know you're off to the beach and won't see this. Still, thinking of you and your family and wishing you a totally fab couple of days and a very happy, very fun New Year's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my, winter has been a bad old buzzard today. We had very mild weather up till today, in fact, raining all day yesterday. Rain is not a good thing in the winter up here. At all. Minute the temp drops, it all turns to ice. Which is what happened, and then a blizzard today to boot. I'm on the second day of being pretty cooped up here between the ice and the snow. Can't tell you how much I fear a fall, so I just strap myself down and don't go out for the better part.

Worked on my work promotional projects today. Have been gathering the parts for weeks, and now I'm starting to put it all together, which is scary because it's all in the execution w/this king of thing. But, finished my first one today, and I'm very happy to say it really came together and I didn't screw it up in the execution. 2 more to go for my first round of targets.

Feeling nervous to not have any work on the horizon, so that's really motivated me to get going, and I'm glad to have the industry of my projects to keep me from going nuts w/cabin fever!

Oh man, I am getting SO READY to be back on plan. I'm actually just sick of food, not even that I've been a glutton day in and day out, but after awhile you just want that lean and lighter feeling back. I'm hoping that I've had my fun and this need to be back on plan---less rich stuff, less food oriented, less, less less---sticks w/me as we enter the new year.
  #3080   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 05:49

BF:

Good New Years Eve!!!!

Blue- Thank you for your lovely post. I have been in Case management for 10 years but not in the hospital like I am now. So as a "discharge planner" Case manager which is what I am doing IS a specialty and what I signed up for. There is little to no need for working with diabetics unless one is certified (a test I failed by 6 questions). So yes I picked Discharge planning as my "specialty". I can easily do it- it is very natural for me. I can very easy see where people need place/ and or help get them there.

So I guess you are right regarding discharge planner talking about hospice. But what I am finding is very few do in a timely manner. They are quick to to place people in a nursing home and letting the nursing home deal with it- few take it head on at the front door. I am very PRO HOSPICE It is such an under utilized service. Now I have be so pro hospice I have been approached to work for one. I thought about it. I like variety so I declined it. I am happy for now doing what I am doing.I like not being stuck in one thing, I have to admit.

OMG- I know you know this.......... But I am so glad you are taking it serious. FALLS...... can be..... deadly. Especially for all of us. We just don't bounce like we used to. You really see a 20 something with a broken hip. They bounce up and keep on trekking. Falls is a real deal thing. I am scared of them too! So please please be careful.

I just love your bead project! I think you have a real nitch there! Have you looked into some Spring festivals?

NIC-- I agree with Blue- Big hugs- you are one of the best moms ever. LIFE happens. You have done so well with your kids!
Are you doing anything tonight?

Lori- As far as MY 2 cents I say we start a new thread tomorrow. It is taking FOREVER to post or correct and edit! What do you all think?

I am so happy for you! You have really worked so hard this year on getting your function, movement, and healthy weight right on track. That is work, and you should be proud of your self. You just can't BUY Health!!!
Are you planning on golf this spring? I sure hope so I know how much you love your game!

TRIG-
Hope you are tucked in your hotel and having a great time!!! We want news!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH
-------------------------------------------------------
Yup I am working today and tomorrow. $$$$$ Yes please! I was able to pay all my bills last check. that means that the next 3 will hit the saving account. I get paid weekly. So to be able to pay everything out of one and bank 3 is AWESOME.

I am SO SO SO ready to start fresh on the WOE. I am not losing. I am too much of a good thing right now. I am loving those crab cakes. - They don't use bread crumbs- they do it New England style, using Mayo and egg. I dunno. FRUSTRATED. I feel lighter, do to MOVING, Steps, more seafood, less veggies..... I am going to just keep doing what I am doing. I think I LOOK less bloaty, but still have this spare tire that is not a tire but a TRUCK TIRE!!! -
Not going to whine here...... I am going to look forward to having a new bright and shiny new year!

As long as I have all my brain power and will - I will work this out. I want to hit goal this year! This is the year.
I will chat more about that later tonight.

The weather here is in the 60's and I LOVE it! Who would have thought!!!!! Not much cooler than GA.
I am not going out tonight- I have to work tomorrow and I will save my celebrating for maybe Friday night and take myself out to dinner. I want to try the place Lori recommended FIN's . It is about a mile down the street.
After all when Lori- and NIC come I want them to have a good idea of what's good! - Any time ladies!!!!!! I am looking forward to it. We can plan after all the holiday stuff settles! I am here until March 14th. My mom and her husband are coming March 11th. She said it was because they wanted to help me drive home. Truth be told it is the seafood, and beach in early Spring! They will be exploring while I wrap up my final days there. It's ok I guess. But I don't really want to share my driving with either of them. My mom is so shaken behind the wheel! Sigh...... I will be watching THEM try to get home!

ALL- Speaking of WOE- I think we should all recommit!!! This year has been a rough WOE year I think for some of us- Awesome for TRIG and Lori who are Crushing it! OK- OFF to work. I already know it is going to be super busy- we are down to Skelton crew again due to holiday- tomorrow same way.
I also told that family I would keep that assignment until they are discharged appropriately- so they don't have to go through everything with a new person. Gotta run!
  #3081   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 06:16

BF:

Good Morning!

Last day of 2019? How is that possible? A new decade! Let's make it a great year.

I will start us a new thread early tomorrow morning and post a link to it here and probably also email the link to all of you. I think I will call it "LC Our Way #4 - The 2020 Edition". How does that sound?

I woke up at 4...even before Gabby! I got up about 4:15. Just awake....who knows why? I had no plans to stay up till midnight tonight, so I'll be in bed at my normal time of around 9. Exciting, right?

I'm heading to the gym for the 10:15 yoga class this morning. I'm ready to get back to my normal routine. I'm still working on my running plan for 2020. I really think I'm going to concentrate on doing the quick interval running as it is better for fat burning than steady state running, plus easier on the old body. It's a bit more difficult to do the intervals on the treadmill.....I really need to bundle up and get outside. I just hate the cold, so much. What a pansy!

We'll just be having a lite dinner tonight as DH's friend Bill is coming around 6 for our little NY's eve party. I'll have to ask DH if he really wants anything at 5 or just wait for shrimp & snacks at 6? I know I'll be waiting. I need to put the bottle of wine out on the front porch for chilling. Works better than the fridge!

Enjoy the last day of 2019!
  #3082   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 07:42

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

HI GUYS

Lori so cool your Chiro said you are improving alot. That is great. You haven't mentioned it being so bad as of late so that is a good thing. been a long time healing that sucker but some things sure take that long.

wine on the porch to chill. Love that HA

Nicco....Mom fail. Nope not at all. You thought it was the 'age' where he would blow it off but that age of 18 still puts them in that kid zone thinking even tho they won't say it does HAHA and then they still expect the 'kid treatment' from you when you least expect it LOL You did fine but you sure sound zonked out. You had too much going down. Girl you need a few days, on your butt, doing nothing! take that time for ya!!

Jaz, path of dignity. I so love that. Why in the world are people scared to acknowledge a season into death and more? I never understood that, so scared of it. It is natural yet many make it so unnatural! I love how you think....walk the person into what to expect is the best gift you can actually give someone!

Blue, I am like you, I am so over food this holiday HAHA
You got this slower time after the holidays to search new work projects and more. No rush times, just you doing you and seeing what is out there for ya. Cool

hey all
weather nice. bit chilly but hey it is winter
Hotel room for $75 here off season is WAY better than the $225 per night Days Inn in Charleston LOL not great room but doesn't smell, clean, nice size etc. 3 ft from Broadway so that is perfect.

Hit the breakfast bar free here. Carb fest. Couldn't touch a thing obviously. Hubby had waffle and kid sleeping.

Hitting Tanger Outlet mall later. I will search out of burger or wings. Food on this trip is sucking for me big time LOL

Hit Mellow Mushroom last night. Ugh. I ordered 3 meatballs with sauce and cheese and got no breadcrumbs on it. 5 buffalo wings also. Ate one meatball fast cause I was starved and realized it is a bread made meatball.....so I gave that to hubby who woofed it down and I had the 5 wings. Need I say I starved whole damn night but skipped this morning for food and will find some damn good meat somewhere at Tanger come hell or highwater. Not sure where to eat tonight, play by ear cause we will hit Broadway. Ferris wheel lit up, tons of lights all seen across the parking lot from the hotel here, so tonight should be fab at Broadway. Seems so pretty ya know.

All good. In my mind tho, getting home, getting my fry pan and eating a 2 lb. damn ribeye as soon as I walk thru the door HAHA
yea sad huh LOL
  #3083   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 07:50

BF:

Hello All!

Happy NYE!! Last day of 2019. Doesn't Y2K seem like a lifetime ago?

Thank you guys for the kind words regarding DS18 and his birthday. I do appreciate it. He's a sweet and forgiving sort and I did apologize and talk to him about it. I feel mostly better but still a bit sore when I think about it just because I should have known better, but it is what it is. A bump in the road of life.

Jaz- so glad you were there to walk that man through a plan for his Mom. I am a big fan of hospice also and it is used frequently here in this area. I have no idea who recommends it or whatever though. DH and I both have been fortunate to not have dealt with much loss yet as adults- only his grandparents. I know we have a lot coming to deal with though in the future, as we all do. My kids have been REMARKABLY blessed. ALL their grandparents are alive. Amazing.

You are doing a great job staying on track. I am always so impressed with you. You and Trig are so completely steady food wise. Lori, you are mostly too and of course you totally lead the pack exercise wise as well. VERY consistent in that area!

Trig- I hope you are having good weather and a fun time. Enjoy! Thinking of you bringing the New Year in, in style!

Lori- Glad your sister got home safe and sound! I think I would feel like the day is SO LONG if I got up at 4:15 AM. You live a day and a half awake! I am curious how you fill your time. I mean, I know you exercise like a pro for sure, but do you read? Watch tv or movies? Craft?

My DD does a TON of crafting. DS18 watches a lot of shows on his computer. DS21 studies, plays Madden on Xbox and watches shows. I surf the web, read, and watch shows. DH reads and watches movies on the tv.

YES! Please do start us a new thread. We need it!

Have a great time tonight at your party!

Blue- Good on you, working on honing your goals and getting things executed and ready to launch! Sounds like the weather is helping you to stay put, which may be working in your favor. We have been in a snow DEARTH this year- two barely dustings and that is it. Warm temps. Feels more like spring.

I will deffo be needing to get back on track along with you! 2019 has been a weight gainer for me for sure.

••••••••••

Ah, here we go. Last day of 2019 and tomorrow starts a new and shiny 2020 with loads of possibilities ahead.

DH is super excited because we are going to pick up his new car today. It is the first expensive car we have bought. Not that ours are cheap but I would call them more normal (Camry, Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot) and not luxury. He always wanted to buy one luxury car and wanted to do it at 50 so he missed the mark by a bit but not much. I'm happy for him, Lord knows he has absolutely earned it with his hard work and long hours, but I will be happier once I have paid it off. I'm a debt averse kind of chick. I intend on getting it paid off early and getting that monkey off my back.

I think we are going to sell his Camry at the end of January, once DS21 goes back to college. We were going to hold it for him but he encouraged us not to because he doesn't need it at school and will be in NYC this summer. So we'll put that toward the payments too, as well as the down payment, and then it won't be too much more, relatively speaking.

I lost my wallet yesterday. No idea how it happened. I honestly think it just fell out of my purse when DS21 and I were running (like footrace running) across the street a couple of times when we did some errands yesterday. Came home that evening and it was just gone, and it was not in the store we had last been to. So, that's a bummer. Just a hassle more than anything, but still. DH took some cash out before I canceled all the cards so that I have money until new cards get here. So he's without credit cards but has a working debit card, and I have cash until everything arrives in a handful of days. I ordered up a new license too, and have a temporary license until it comes. Then I have to get a new one in 2020 anyway! I need to get a new insurance card and a new Costco card. I think that is pretty much it for what I carry around. There was no cash at least.

We will spend the afternoon with the kids, playing games and doing our traditional "Crazy Dinner" - that's when we go to the store and have X number of minutes for everyone to choose something to bring to the table for dinner. It will be interesting to see what comes. It used to be all crap but as they get older it gets a little more well rounded.

Okay, I've rambled on enough! Happy NYEve everyone!
  #3084   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 07:56

BF:

Trig, crossposted with ya. I swear you are the queen of consistency. Good on you!! I hope you have an excellent time with the Kid and the Chop and I wish you the very best and tastiest of Ribeyes when you get home!! xox
  #3085   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:01

BF:

Lori- Start us a new thread! I want to post in 2020- in a FRESH start thread- I will wait!
  #3086   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:24

BF:

Closed Thread