Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 03:11
Registered Member

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 248/212.8/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default I'm baaaaack....30day experiment keto turned into 9 months

Its official..im a convert. I thought low carb high fat was nonesense.. i started last January as a last ditch 30 day experiment and continued for 9 months which is the longest plan i have been on in the history of weight loss. I had success! I went from 4x down to large shirt and 22w pants down to size 10 pants. Went from 268 down to 194. Life was incredible...i felt great.....until....... One day...i decided "i think i will start a cake truffle business to raise money for a missions trip and for other missionaries" Enter into the picture- sugar sugar sugar wheat gluten...

That started in September and im back now in terrible shape...weight is up to 227 and inches have definitely been gained and i feel fat and bloated and miserable...and ashamed...I made the stupidest mistake starting a baking business that was off limits food to me...

So...humiliated and miserable i stand...ready to get back to Keto...2017 New Years Challenge- get down to goal weight of 175 and never go off Keto for any reason!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 08:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi, I remember you. Welcome back. Good luck making it stick this time around.

Do you still have to work with the crapola? I also make junk food for a living, but my gluten reactions are bad enough that it's totally off my radar... except for some of the fillings and trimmings that are gluten-free. I've had my bad days, but the majority are good and I can just fill myself up on 'legal' LC foods.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 01:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hey!

Yah im lucky..i was able to get out of making crap food for others. Now i just have to worry about what i make haha! Actually its not too bad.. this time i decided to say "to heck with calories" and decided to eat all the fat and salt i want this first week in...normally i watch my cals and carbs but after being off plan for a couple months..ingesting really bad sugar laden carbage..i wanted to lessen the chances of feeling horrible throughout the week by making sure i got adequate salt and fat intake..im now 6 days in and its gone pretty smooth...just got hooked on fat bombs for the first time..lawd! I made these almond butter cake batter flavoured sugar free fat bombs and they are amazing! Really satisfying!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 14:19

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey welcome back. I remember you writing a post about can you be happy if you are fat http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471496

Have you considered your question further or found an answer yet?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 15:31

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Why not look at it as 41 lbs lost in 2016 with lessons learned as you forge ahead in 2017? You caught yourself before gaining back all the weight or more - that is significant!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 20:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I know how difficult this is. I've been on and off lc since the mid 1960s. Back then it was called the Canadian Air Force Diet. Then in 1974, Dr. Atkins first book became my diet bible and I still refer to it. I am not at my all time high (thank God) but I am not at the lowest I've been in 20 years. In the 1970s when I first bought Atkins book, I was about 80 lbs less than I am today. I know I will never see that number again, but I would like to lose enough that my joints don't hurt and I can wear dresses without looking pregnant in my old age.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 11:12
Registered Member

BF:

I assume the answer is subjective to the individual person. I, mself was not happy when i gained 40 lbs so i can safely conclude. I am happy when i am in shape and healthy. I have kind of put it to rest. If there are people who are morbidly obese and are genuinely happy then it doesnt really matter. However...i have yet to meet a morbidly obese individual that is genuinely happy about their life. In most cases, years of trauma and woundings preceeded the weight gain..i say most cases because there is a small percentage of the population deing with obesity due to hereditary conditions or medical anomalies.
Someone once told me that your physical body is often an outward representation of how you are feeling inwardly. You can only cover up or stuff down so much pain before it begins to show outwardly.
But lets assume there is no pain. Lets assume that the person who has become morbidly obese because they have a love for food..they enjoy it so much. And lets say that there is no medical history causing them to gain or causing them toose weight.
Even then.. does anyone just eat and eat and eat because they love to eat? To me..my thought is -they have a behavioural pattern that was possibly pre-conditioned by cultural context or perhaps they have an obsessive compulsive relationship with food.

So even then.. i dont think a person is happy in that instance.

However..can people experience temporary happiness during a cyclical episode of bingeing? Yes of course. In the moment it feels good. Maybe eating certain food brings back good memories with family or friends. I think it is definitely possible to have moments of experiencimg happiness..is it longstanding or continuous in their life? I dont know?? But who am i to judge that?

Long and short of it is Thud - i shouldnt be the one to judge anyones level of happiness...i can neither control or judge someone else and their level of happiness..its the beauty of the human race..to take someone at face value and be open if they should wish to explore their feelings.

In essence i appologize for making any kind of blanket statement in my previous post or for coming across as judgemental. I had no right. Iowed my personal feelings of my own self-hatred cor my size to come out and i could not see anything different.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 11:35

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthardy
...In essence i appologize for making any kind of blanket statement in my previous post or for coming across as judgemental. I had no right. Iowed my personal feelings of my own self-hatred cor my size to come out and i could not see anything different.

No reason to apologize at all! I think you posed an excellent question and I, and many others, put some thought into the answers. I just wondered what you thought about the question yourself after loosing weight. You seemed very happy and determined after your last post, even tho not yet at your goal weight.

Keep on porthardy! I rooting for you!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/231.5/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have not been "skinny" since my 30's but I do know that my weight really does balloon when I am unhappy or unhealthy. So even when my mental state is happy if something is wrong (inflammation and pain) the weight comes on fast. It is not good for me to be heavier physically or mentally.

I have met some very happy overweight people but never one that does not have health issues that cause the weight and the health problems.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 07:43

Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thank you for your mea culpa to yourself. I am a rigid LC dieter and when I either don't lose or gain anything, I chasten myself but stick right with it knowing it will happen, I will lose again. Don't look back at the gain but at your loss. It tells me that everyone can do this, even me. I lose an average of a pound a week and that's the way it goes for me, and that's NO CHEATING. Imagine if I did cheat! Good luck on the road to recovery as you manage your new lifestyle. It will be a long road but you will succeed!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 07:47

Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny530
I have not been "skinny" since my 30's but I do know that my weight really does balloon when I am unhappy or unhealthy. So even when my mental state is happy if something is wrong (inflammation and pain) the weight comes on fast. It is not good for me to be heavier physically or mentally.

I have met some very happy overweight people but never one that does not have health issues that cause the weight and the health problems.

I hate these TV shows lately that make it fashionable to be your fat self and be happy about it, or to set off-the-BMI goals as being sufficient for health. I was not a happy or healthy fat person and it's hard for me anyway, being bipolar. I will be so glad when spring melts the tons of snow and ice and I can get out walking safely again. No gym -- just little walks for now, but I have just 20 lbs to go to the dr's goal for me. And I trust his judgment on what healthy looks like.