Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#316   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-21, 08:23

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The Masterclass has really made the difference for me. I just got back on the straight and narrow knowing I was eating a bit too much food, although not "forbidden" foods. I simply have gone back to tracking and eating how I did when I took the masterclass and beyond and I am right back up there score wise where I want to be. Now I am going to try Date Driven Fasting for the second time. I gave up the first time because my bg's would start out fine in the morning. I would eat and then they would never go back down to where I needed them to be in order to eat again. I suspect that is what will happen again but maybe I can figure out a way to cope with it that doesn't include giving up.
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-21, 08:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The new and always growing DDF Manual has so many new answers to FAQs. This one may help, but also after 10 days you can set a "Main Meal". I make that dinner because sometimes I don't have my first meal until 12 or 1, and am not back at trigger either.

Quote:
FAQ 5.16 What if I’m above my trigger but REALLY hungry?
If you are above Your Personalised Trigger, it’s ideal to wait. You know your body has enough fuel on board. But if you are REALLY hungry and just above Your Personalised Trigger, it’s OK to eat. Still, you should prioritise nutrients (i.e. leaner meats and seafood with non-starchy vegetables), given you know you already have plenty of fuel onboard.
Eating a high-protein meal when you are hungry in the morning (rather than waiting so long that you are ravenous) is a great strategy if you experience some degree of dawn phenomenon. It’s hard to go wrong if you limit fuel when you’re above your trigger and only refuel (with fat and carbs) when you’re below your trigger.

Maybe Part 7 on Understanding your Unique Metabolism? https://optimisingnutrition.com/und...-ddf-faq-part-7

All the new sample recipe books and Meal Plans are super helpful too.
  #318   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-21, 08:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The new and always growing DDF Manual has so many new answers to FAQs. This one may help, but also after 10 days you can set a "Main Meal". I make that dinner because sometimes I don't have my first meal until 12 or 1, and am not back at trigger either.

Maybe Part 7 on Understanding your Unique Metabolism? https://optimisingnutrition.com/und...-ddf-faq-part-7

All the new sample recipe books and Meal Plans are super helpful too.

My experience was that my bg quite literally never went down to the trigger value after eating breakfast until the next morning. I don't experience dawn phenomena and I eat a high protein breakfast. Plus I can't use the recipes and meal plans because I have so many food sensitivities that they simply don't work for me. I hate being a yes but kind of person but I just couldn't figure out what to do other than only eating one meal a day. Maybe that's the answer for me.
  #319   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-21, 08:54

BF:

Most people seem to find the data driven fasting much easier than the masterclass but I am the opposite. The masterclass was exactly what I had been looking for for years but data driven fasting proved unworkable for me, at least the first time around. Of course my bg's were already in a pretty acceptable range so maybe I'm doing ok despite not succeeding at DDF.
  #320   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 12:12

We are both healthy and below our goal weight, yet would like to see BG a bit closer to optimal rather than our current perfectly acceptable range. I too wonder if I’m expecting too much, but DDF helped me last year get through this season, with both weight loss and lower BG, so willing to try it again. If we end up exactly where we started…we're still doing OK
  #321   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 12:14

BF:

I have signed up for the next data driven challenge. I am hoping to make it work this time. Last time around I just gave up.
  #322   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-21, 10:38

A nice comment from Jean on the October challenge group page, that the app is terrific! It has come a long way from the spreadsheet. Alex keeps adding little tweaks to make it even better.
A scad of procrastinators signed up during these last two days, over 1200 now. Lots of activity and excitement on DDF today.

Adding a new video explanation of DDF, also titled a New Fasting Method - IF 2.0. This was a webinar Marty created with slides How to Lose Weight and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes without Tracking Food.

https://youtu.be/CkE1_QwJJVI

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Oct-09-21 at 13:39.
  #323   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-21, 10:54

BF:

Quote:
A nice comment from Jean on the October challenge group page, that the app is terrific! It has come a long way from the spreadsheet. Alex keeps adding little tweaks to make it even better.
A scad of procrastinators signed up during these last two days, over 1200 now. Lots of activity and excitement on DDF today.

There is no comparison between the original spreadsheet and the current app. The spreadsheet was so frustrating for me. It seemed to be particularly problematic for apple computer users or at least ones like me that did not have excel on their computers (at least I think that was the problem). Data would disappear every few day. I would have to email for help. It was just too frustrating especially when added to my very slow to drop bg's. I just gave up. I expect I will have a much better experience this time, being able to focus on the data and not be consumed by technical problems.
  #324   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-21, 10:50

I opened and saved the Excel spreadsheet in Apple Numbers but I'm no spreadsheet wizard either. I didn't lose any data but much prefer working with this app.

While on the computer this weekend, I filled in some of my blood glucose numbers going back to original start date in August 2020. My glucose is still in a very narrow but highish range, so thought this would show something, and it did. My first recorded waking BG was 116, yesterday started this session at 95. Post with the reconstructed charts in the Main DDF FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dat...51853335529977/

Iceberg, only 2.7 pounds from Onederland now!

Where's Thud? Off sailing in some beautiful autumn weather?

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Oct-10-21 at 13:53.
  #325   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-21, 11:14

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

Quote:

Well, started my fourth round of DDF. Had a nice drop this morning, only 2.1 to go to onederland!!! I'm now down 35.4 lbs since 26 Jan...22.5 lbs doing DDF.

I'm seeing my morning BGs higher than I like, but I'm losing. I'll go back and read some stuff, but I've really struggled on morning BG numbers. My allergies are pretty bad at the moment. That may be the cause.

d
  #326   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-21, 12:21

BF:

Quote:
I opened and saved the Excel spreadsheet in Apple Numbers but I'm no spreadsheet wizard either. I didn't lose any data but much prefer working with this app.

While on the computer this weekend, I filled in some of my blood glucose numbers going back to original start date in August 2020. My glucose is still in a very narrow but highish range, so thought this would show something, and it did. My first recorded BG was 116, yesterday started this session at 95. Post with the charts in the Main DDF FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dat...51853335529977/

Where's Thud? Off sailing in some beautiful autumn weather?

I was using Numbers also. I don't know what was happening but every few days the data would disappear. Other things went wrong too but I can't remember quite what. However whatever it was it was enough to derail me. I was spending too much time dealing with spreadsheet issues and I found it too frustrating, especially since my blood glucose levels hadn't read the manual and weren't acting as they were supposed to either. Sometimes (most of the time) I lack patience. I'm trying not to this time around. The app is great but my blood glucose level still haven't read the manual and often don't come down as they are supposed to. My morning starts out fine but then they go up and tend to stay up. They never get too high but I want them to do that go up quickly and come down quickly thing. I probably have to experiment with lowering fats.
  #327   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-21, 14:10

Iceberg, whatever you are doing, it's working.

When I understood Dr. Naiman's dam analogy...that until you lower the amount of fat being held back in storage, the small peaks and troughs on the surface, have less influence on that waking number. What and when you ate the night before is part of it, but if you still have stored fat, that sadly, is a big reason for the high waking BG.

[QUOTE]7.18 Why is my waking blood sugar the highest of the day?
If you have plenty of stored body fat, your body will release that stored energy overnight into your bloodstream, even if you follow a lower-carb diet. Your body can make glucose from protein and even fat (from the glycerol backbone).
If you have excess energy stored in your body, the glucose will back up in your system and overflow into your blood, especially overnight when insulin levels are lower after not eating for a while.
Making sure you are not eating too much too late may help decrease waking blood sugars, but it may just take some time until you are able to reduce your body fat levels to more optimal levels. To do this, you simply need to keep chasing a lower pre-meal blood sugar (by delaying your meals) and ensuring you are eating nutrient-dense, high-satiety meals when you do eat.
  #328   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-21, 07:45

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Can this program be done without using facebook?
  #329   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-21, 08:25

Rob does using the DDF program on his own. I think you lose a lot of information and community support without FB.
However, I can hint that maybe next year there will be an option that does not involve FB.
  #330   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-21, 09:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Rob does using the DDF program on his own. I think you lose a lot of information and community support without FB.
However, I can hint that maybe next year there will be an option that does not involve FB.

I was informed by Alex that they are working on a way to involve the DDF community without FB. That was over a year ago. As Janet mentions, I purchased the spreadsheet and program materials, maybe there's a way to get the improved app today, and have followed DDF. It works, and I get my community fix on this forum. Janet, Jean (cotonpal), thud, Bawdy and others have been extremely informative, so I don't feel I'm missing anything.

I'm not a social media person, so I fully understand the reason for your question. This forum is as close as I get to it, and it's due to the moderators and participants who are always informative and respectful to all.