Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-11, 20:38

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I truly wish that I had some direct way of getting the food here to the people at the disaster area who need it. It hurts my heart to know that they are suffering so badly. Unfortunately since I do not have the capability to do that (even if I had a car and could drive the very long distance to the area, the roads are blocked to regular traffic) I too have to rely on the government and the aid workers to get the food to those who need it.

For those of us in Japan but not in the affected areas, there are many ways to donate money to help those in need at the moment, and we are all doing what we can. Just yesterday while walking home from the station I passed several groups of junior high school students, out on a Sunday in the cold holding their little donation boxes for quake victims and asking passersby to donate. (Yes, I donated.) We all do what we can, and hope for the best. And in the meantime, we continue our normal lives as best we can.

Several of our company's stores were damaged in the disaster, and our staff have remained and are doing their best to restore them and continue to provide service to our customers. One of our employees' family home was completely washed away by the tsunami, and his entire family are living in a rescue shelter with many other victims. Our president is directly donating a substantial sum of money to his family both from the company and from his own pocket, in an effort to help his family rebuild their former life somehow. Right now, without direct access to the disaster area or victims, money itself is the best and most assured means for us to providing support.

This has been the most devastating and unexpected natural disaster Japan has ever seen. I'm not really surprised that relief efforts are still disorganised and poorly managed -- it's not like anyone could ever have been prepared for the sheer magnitude of it! At the same time, I feel all we can do is provide support wherever we can, and remain positive. Worrying excessively will help no-one.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 00:55

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Hmm, those noodles look good!! The food that you cooked looked good too!! Just yesterday my boyfriend opened the container of them that I had so he could try them! He seemed to like them well enough. He doesn't low carb or anything but he wanted to see what they were all about as well as add something to a meal he was preparing. He was also looking into them on the internet and how to cook them properly. He tells me they seem to be gaining popularity, so that makes me happy. I just want to be able to go to the grocery store across the street and get them, you know? I don't really miss noodles but I mean they would be great to add bulk to meals and add some interest. Thank you for the pictures! I am jealous since you get the more fancy stuff there, hehe. I am sure I can find them online somewhere if I wanted something a little bit more fancy. At least for now I am finding the best way to cook the noodles and what they go well with. My boyfriend was like "I bet they would go well with broccoli." Well, in your picture it sure looks like it would!

And about Japan, like you said, worrying doesn't do anything. Just donate what you can!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 20:22

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I know many of you have been following the news of the earthquake and the many victims still suffering from the effects, so I thought I'd share a bit of good news from here.

The Japanese Post Office announced that starting from yesterday, they are able to start delivering mail (namely, packages) to the Miyagi area again, where many of the victims are. Although there are still limits on what can be sent in regards to the size and weight of packages, as well as the fact that delivery will take longer than usual (they say it may take up to 10 days instead of the usual 1-2) it is nonetheless now possible for us regular people all over Japan to send things directly to those we know are in need!

Our company has a store in Sendai, and so yesterday without delay we all put together a box as big as was allowed, and filled it with food supplies -- foods that can be easily made, and also easily stored even without electricity. We know this will be greatly appreciated not only by our staff but also their families and friends, and we'll be continuing to provide support like this until they are able to properly fend for themselves again.

I don't doubt that in the same way, there are companies, families, and individuals all over Japan sending off hundreds if not thousands of packages to help the people in need in the affected areas. I'm sure that Japan Post in Northern Japan is going to be very busy in the immediate future -- and it's for a very, very good reason!

Last edited by Karhys : Wed, Mar-23-11 at 20:23. Reason: suspect grammar. XD
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 21:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/239/240 Male 6'5''
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhys
I know many of you have been following the news of the earthquake and the many victims still suffering from the effects, so I thought I'd share a bit of good news from here.

The Japanese Post Office announced that starting from yesterday, they are able to start delivering mail (namely, packages) to the Miyagi area again, where many of the victims are. Although there are still limits on what can be sent in regards to the size and weight of packages, as well as the fact that delivery will take longer than usual (they say it may take up to 10 days instead of the usual 1-2) it is nonetheless now possible for us regular people all over Japan to send things directly to those we know are in need!

Our company has a store in Sendai, and so yesterday without delay we all put together a box as big as was allowed, and filled it with food supplies -- foods that can be easily made, and also easily stored even without electricity. We know this will be greatly appreciated not only by our staff but also their families and friends, and we'll be continuing to provide support like this until they are able to properly fend for themselves again.

I don't doubt that in the same way, there are companies, families, and individuals all over Japan sending off hundreds if not thousands of packages to help the people in need in the affected areas. I'm sure that Japan Post in Northern Japan is going to be very busy in the immediate future -- and it's for a very, very good reason!

Thanks for this amazing update, I'm glad that there's some positive. The news always seem to focus on the negative. Japan's still one of my favorite country and always will be. My prayers all go out to the folks of Japan, glad to see you're alright.

I have no doubt that Japan will get through this!