Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 23:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/208/199 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Question breakfast quandry

I know this question has probably been asked before but I can't find the answers I'm looking for.
Obviously, I'm on CAD ..... and love it. I was a life-long Weight Watcher member - not cuz I got to goal weight, becuase I've been going for a lifetime!
I'm a bit concerned about the breakfast tho. Breakfast always meant, toast with jam, cereal, pancakes etc with the occasional egg and bacon. Now learning that all those carbos were wrong, what do I have?
I don't mind having eggs all the time but then worry about the colesterol - even tho mine has always showed to be ok....but WW's always said to watch for that - getting out of the WW mindset is difficult.
Other question: is it ok to have a protien drink? I was taking Greens with a cup of soy milk to make up for lack of vegetables while I was o.d.ing on carbs. Is it ok to use that as a breakfast replacement?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 04:49

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool Hello, Kertrats!

Welcome to CAD! I was a lifelong WW, too.. must have joined and rejoined 30 or 40 times!

Lets see.. breakfast. That was the hardest part of CAD for me to get used to also. I always ate carb-rich foods in the morning. Now I have eggs almost every day.. sometimes other sources of protein, but pretty much never any vegetables. I worry in the back of my mind about the cholesterol as well, but I tell that voice to shut up when I read reports from other LC-ers that their numbers have gotten better, not worse. There are lots of breakfast ideas around the forums, too. Be sure to check out the recipe boards.

About the protein drinks. I don't know anything about soymilk, but if it carb-heavy.. more than 4g .. then it probably wouldn't fit in with CAD.

good luck, see you around

Tracy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 06:15

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

kippers, tuna salad, feta cheese cubes are my current favourites.
this may be dangerous advice... but look up mock danish.
I liked them too much lol
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:20

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I skip breakfast. And boy did that little WW voice have a fit about that!!!!!
I just find I stay in so much better control when I just skip it. I listened to that voice last week and got into so much trouble.

Anyway, I thought I was the WW poster child. Where did you guys come from?

Don't know about the protein drinks. Usually the answere I see on this question is .....if it doesn't bother you and cause cravings and fits the carb count....it's probably ok. (I think!)

Welcome...
Deb
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: CAD-Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi,
For breakfast, I tend to alternate between eating eggs (omlettes, scrambled, fried, etc.) and pancakes I make out of 10 tablespoons of a blend of ground flax (i buy the flax seeds whole and grind in coffee grinder), ground almonds, wheat or oat bran, wheat or oat germ, ground oats, ground buckwheat, even whole wheat flour (!). It's really whatever I have on hand - the high fibre seems to balance out the carbs (for me). Add to that some cinnamon, 1/4 tsp baking soda, an egg, 2 tbsps of plain yogurt, bit of vanilla, and a few tbsps of water. It may be too high in carbs for some people, but for me three of these pancakes gives me a good protein/low-carb boost in the morning (this recipe makes 6 small pancakes). The recipe, with less water, can be used to make muffins too, in fact. And leftover pancakes are great snacks or desserts with cream cheese, low-carb syrup/jam, berries, etc.
Happy eating
Robyn
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 06:43

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I generally skip brekkie, too.....after I've had my coffee w/ whipping cream, I'm good for hours. I have never subscribed to the "most important meal of the day" theory. The same people who tell you that tell you to eat cereal and milk, fruit, sugar and juice. Can you say "carb overload"?

When I do eat in the morning, it's usually eggs scrambled in butter w/ cream cheese and olives and cheddar, cabbage fried in butter, maybe some good beef hotdogs or Vienna sausages sliced and fried in w/ it, or I'll make it my RM and have cream of wheat w/ butter, brown sugar and whipping cream, plus some protein (eggs, bacon, ham, sausage) and vegetables. I am particularly fond of canned green beans w/ lots of butter. I don't usually eat salad for breakfast.

Watch that mock danish.....it is delicious, but it has AS in it, and anything that tastes sweet is likely to cause insulin release and you'll be hungry soon after. If that happens, then mock danish is an RM-only treat for you. And make it w/ real sugar, not AS! AS isn't good for any living thing.....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 19:38

Plan: carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 168/161/148
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi Everyone,

I have been on CAD for the past six weeks. I am not much of a breakfast eater but I work 10 hour shifts and start at 5 am. Lately I have been making a mixture of a few pieces of bacon cut into tiny pieces, then I fill the pan up with mushrooms, green peppers, red onion and sprinkle some garlic salt on it. This is easy to micro at work. It makes a nice change from eggs or cheese.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 19:45

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

RoboRobin-Now those pancakes sound good-I made the complimentary pancakes from the CAD book and yuck-tasted lke sweet scrambled eggs-I feel the same way about the danish too.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 09:31

Plan: carb addicts diet
Stats: 320/315/175
BF:too damn much
Progress: 3%

I have no idea what to have for breakfast either other then eggs or meat. I just can not get veggies in me at breakfast time.
A no carb, protein drink would be a great alternative every other day. I just don't know where to get it.
One thing i am trying to do is. Every other day i am trying to have the egg substitutes. They are very low if no fat at all in them. I pour the liquid in the pan and scramble them or use for omlettes. For a whole egg i am getting the "Omega" eggs. Lower in cholesteral.

I went out for breakfast yesterday and went to Perkins. I LOVE IT THERE SO MUCH FOOD!.. Anyway, i got an omlette and it came with those great shredded potatoes and a mamouth Muffin. I fought with myself wanting the potatoes and muffin. I didn't want to blow things so i asked to take them home as the omlette filled me up. (i could have eatin them but knew i couldn't) So i took them home and ate them in my hour at dinner time. It was such a great way to feel that i could have them at my reward meal rather then "i cant have them".

The other thing i keep telling myself is. Why am i worrying about the damn eggs for breakfast????..... Yes we think of the cholesteral thing but think of the way we ate and what we ate before we were on Cad's... I can imagine if you were like me you were way over the limit of cholesteral in a day with the other things you ate. Eg, Mcdonalds, burger King, potatoe chips, etc.

I don't think the eggs will do that much damage. Just use the alternative eggs every other day.

If our weight is coming down then losing that fat must reduce our cholesteral any way.

Good luck. and i totally understand you.

Bethyboo