Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 340/340/225 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 0%
Red face "Cheat meals" Do you do them?

There used to be a time where I would have "cheat days" and I would find myself struggling to get back on track or wouldnt altogether because of them.

Now I have cheat meals occassionally. Like for example... I dont go crazy with the bread and carbs but Ill eat them. After almost 4 weeks of hardcore dieting I went out with my partner and ate a hamburger (with the bread) and some potato chips. I found it so much easier to just start doing low carb after that.

I think its paramount to your success that your "cheat times" just be very small blips on the radar. This way you can just get back to your daily routine.

Does anyone else have these probs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 11:45

Plan: Reduced Calorie LC w/ IF
Stats: 190/130/115 Female 5'6"
BF:Still Too High!
Progress: 80%

I've had success with cheat days being either cheat "hours" or full-on cheat WEEKENDS... Either way, whatever small amount of weight was gained (3 or 4 pounds) was gone by day 2 of being back on plan.

I honestly found whether I had a couple slices of toast or a full-on cheat weekend, no more nor less weight was gained.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 11:54

Plan: gastric bypass surgery
Stats: 259/198/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I think I just can't handle cheating mentally. For me, if I cheat I then use it for an excuse to eat more. For instance, go out to dinner and eat a meal with carbs, then get home and say oh what the heck, I already cheated so it's ok to have some ice cream. Eventually it turns into a weekend, then several days, then full out carbs everyday. I'd love to be abe to do it and get right back on plan, but my mind hasn't matured to that point yet!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 12:27
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin w/cheese
Stats: 258/258/158 Male 71
BF:alot/alot less
Progress: 0%

Miss,
I feel your pain. One step off the cliff and it's back to the bottom. Just say no. No compromise.
Find the truly yummy foods, those without carbs, and pig out. You could really spice up your omelets when you're down, add gobs of cheese, bacon and sausage.
I'll ask my wife about a cheat day and see what she says...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 13:07

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiss
I think I just can't handle cheating mentally. For me, if I cheat I then use it for an excuse to eat more. For instance, go out to dinner and eat a meal with carbs, then get home and say oh what the heck, I already cheated so it's ok to have some ice cream. Eventually it turns into a weekend, then several days, then full out carbs everyday. I'd love to be abe to do it and get right back on plan, but my mind hasn't matured to that point yet!

I'm EXACTLY the same. I work so much better when I follow a strict regimen. That's why I like Atkins so much. I need to know exactly what to eat and what not to eat. The low cal/low fat just gave me too much leeway and I went crazy. I am, however, DYING for movie popcorn.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 15:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/125/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 100%

I cheat on the first 2-3 days of my menstrual cycle. I consider it my special time and allow myself a small cheat/day. Usually butter tarts and pasta. The sugar lessens the cramps for me and this way I make sure it's only once a month.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 21:34
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

For some people it's just a blip on the radar, for others it's a slipery slope to a full on crash and burn.

The important thing is to recognize what type of personality you are. Now that I'm in maintenance I find that an occasional off plan food or meal is just a blip in the radar. BUT....I stay away from my trigger foods with a 10 foot pole (like popcorn). I loooooove popcorn, but alas, it will put me into a full on binge--not worth it in my opinion.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Thumbs up

I have cheat DAYS. Never have trouble getting back on track. I get it out of my system and get back to healthy eating.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 22:13

Plan: ANA meets BFL
Stats: 205/153/155 Male 5'7"
BF:36%/10%/10%
Progress: 104%

I always take all day Sunday as a full day free day. NOT taking this free day, IMO, is the biggest mistake people make. the promise they won't cheat, then when they DO, it's suddenly an emotional issue. Next thing you know they've beaten themselves up so much that they give up and gain it all back. If you planned it, it's not a cheat, it's part of the plan, and you have nothing to feel guilty about.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

I distinguish between cheat days (which happen once a week) and binge days (which happen about once a month).

A cheat day means eating as much as a want, no counting anything, but sticking to low-carb foods (no high carb foods allowed).

A binge days means stuffing my face with any carb my heart desires, all day long - pizza, hige chocolate muffins, french fries, burgers with the bun, burritos - anything I want. If I did this any more often I wouldn't lose anything!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 05:26

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

When I was on Atkins, frankly I had trouble just cheating a bit. I had that "never again" mentality, combined with the fact that I knew deep down that (for various reasons) Atkins wasn't going to be a forever WOE for me.

South Beach works better for us. It's more flexible, closer to a "normal" WOE and so easy to fit in with family, I have my husband's buy-in, etc. It seems slower than Atkins, but that is okay.

So I think for all those reasons, I am not having problems with the occasional "cheat." I know that this is how we will be eating for the rest of our lives, so the occasional hamburger with bun is not going to kill us. I've even had cookies! And then been right back on plan the next day. For us, it's a mental thing. I find as long as I have a controlled amount (two cookies, not a dozen) and try to control the blood sugar hit (after a meal instead of as a meal), the cravings are minimal.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 06:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/220/219 Male 6 2
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm in the no cheat camp. In my two years I have had a few "cheat" foods. But when I am in the groove so to speak, I don't want the higher carb foods. Can you maintain the cheat day long term. For me it would become the cheat weekend and then the cheat week and then forget it.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 07:13

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have regular 'indulgence' days. My body doesn't like artificial sweeteners, so using all the yummy low carb treats that are out there isn't an option. I don't know if I'd indulge the same way if they were. Its usually one meal on Sunday. Often I stick to several helpings of fruit, but sometimes I'll go for a dessert.

Its never in my house, so its easy for me to get back on track.

Once every 6 mos we have a 'free day', where all bets are off. The first one was quite a binge of forbidden food, but the last one was really very moderate.

It works for us.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 12:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/163/155 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have to cheat once a week or I'd never stick to low carbing. Every Thursday around 2pm me and hubby go to eat and then I just eat whatever I want for the rest of the day also. I still usually lose between 1 and 3 pounds a week. I never feel guilty because I know that I only do it once a week and get right back on track. It is my way of life now and I love it.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 15:41
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Eating off plan for us is actualy a major part of the CALP diet-- they have one free meal a day for only one hour. I do that sometimes (China Buffet), but I still try to keep the carbs and sugar ratio low. It has never stalled me, I gain 2lb then lose 3lb that week.